Gransnet forums

Chat

Everyone looks twelve

(54 Posts)
morethan2 Mon 30-Sep-19 17:48:41

That’s it really. Suddenly everyone looks twelve.
We’re having some work done and new kitchen and a kitchen fitter has just been. I kept thinking “I hope you know what your doing sonny” when he mentioned getting home to his wife because it was his 7th wedding anniversary.
What with that and suddenly not being able to open food packaging I’m must be getting old...oh and a Very kind younger women gave up her seat on the underground for me the other day so I must be looking old too. I’m only 66and 3/4 grin

BlueBelle Mon 30-Sep-19 18:06:40

Well I m 74 and felt old the other day when I couldn’t read the instructions on the hole in the wall screen The sun was shining on it and I just couldn’t I tried three times and each time it was rejected I needed the money as I had none on me at all so the next person that came along I had to ask to help me it was a man, he had a bit of a job to see it himself, but i said I can see to put my number in but can you do the rest he did and bless him he didn’t run off with my money
But yes I felt old and useless

sodapop Mon 30-Sep-19 19:18:58

I've noticed that as well morethan2 so many people look too young to be working or having families, scary isn't it.
BlueBelle You were lucky with your ATM problem, not everyone is as trustworthy as that man. I have the same problem with the sun. I find it difficult driving when the sun is low in the sky as well.

Sillygrandma5GK Mon 30-Sep-19 20:18:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nanou Mon 30-Sep-19 20:22:15

Don't worry, I had the same situation on the tube. I thought I looked ok for my mid-sixty, perhaps a bit younger but on 2 occasions somebody gave me their seat. hmmm, makes you wonder hmm

GrandmaKT Mon 30-Sep-19 20:50:53

A few years ago DH and I were watching an article on the evening news about buying properties and mortgages. They cut to an interview with a 12 year old. Cue for DH to start ranting "Why are they asking her? She's not old enough to have a mortgage, she'll live at home with her mum and dad!". The interviewer continued - "So, as Housing Minister.....". That shut him up! shock

Grannybags Mon 30-Sep-19 21:08:29

I had to laugh when my granddaughter went back to school after the summer holidays and my DIL complained that her new teacher was only 12 years old - my DIL is only 35!

rubysong Mon 30-Sep-19 23:56:34

When certain 'experts' appear on the breakfast TV programme we frequently comment "he/she is going to be late for school!"

rosecarmel Tue 01-Oct-19 02:53:19

I think teens looked considerably older and mature in the 1950s and 60s than teens today- Not saying it's a bad thing either way-

sunseeker Tue 01-Oct-19 06:59:08

Mentioned to a friend yesterday that when I last saw a doctor - he must have been about 15

Oopsminty Tue 01-Oct-19 07:06:22

Yes sunseeker! I was just about to comment about doctors. My local GP's has lots of new doctors. I've seen 2 or 3 and indeed, they all looked like they should still be in school!

Davida1968 Tue 01-Oct-19 10:02:45

I thought that the lovely nurse who did my flu' jab (most proficiently) looked about twelve. Then someone mentioned that she'd just returned from maternity leave!

POBCOB Tue 01-Oct-19 10:04:10

My niece is a doctor and although 27 looks 15, wish I did?

harrigran Tue 01-Oct-19 10:05:43

The first time I saw my consultant I thought he was doing work experience with a parent.

grapefruitpip Tue 01-Oct-19 10:08:31

12 year olds ask me if I have an email address. They obviously think I am too old to manage this new fangled technology.

Rosina Tue 01-Oct-19 10:15:25

Our wedding photos have become quite scary; we look like teenagers (we certainly weren't) and practically everyone in the group photo is now dead!

mbody Tue 01-Oct-19 10:18:31

I think all local councillors are playing truant!!!

Newatthis Tue 01-Oct-19 10:19:08

Sadly yes, it's called getting old. Sometimes I hear people of my age 'putting the world to right' or saying 'this didn't happen when I was their age' etc etc which reminds me when I use to get the bus home from school and could hear the then middle aged people saying the same thing. Sadly my nephew who is 6 was really shocked when I told him I remembered the Beatles, so shocked he ran out to tell all his friends!

Tricia5 Tue 01-Oct-19 10:19:08

It’s the stupid questions in hospital that I object to! “Can you count backwards from twenty?” Response ‘of course I can but why would I want to!’ Answer not acceptable. Tough!

fizzers Tue 01-Oct-19 10:21:24

A good many policemen/women look all of 12

Stansgran Tue 01-Oct-19 10:23:09

@Rosina I quite agree we look far too young to be getting married and many dead or sadly seriously ill when I look at the group photos of our wedding. I am always delighted when people offer me a seat or offer help as it shows that good manners and care for others is not a thing of the past.

Oopsminty Tue 01-Oct-19 10:26:49

Oh Rosina! That made me laugh. Not sure I should have done though!

jaylucy Tue 01-Oct-19 10:30:34

Still being under retirement age and still looking for work, it is a bit disconcerting to walk into an interview to be met by one (or usually 2) 12 year olds sitting across the other side of the desk !
You can usually tell by their facial expressions if you are likely to get the job !
I did once ask an interviewer if there would be a problem with the fact that I am obviously more mature and was told that there wouldn't. Was then taken around the building and into the office that I would be working in - not one person looked as if they were enjoying their job ! (Mind you, the pay was pretty rubbish and they topped it up with "benefits" that in my experience , I would probably have never used) I wasn't too bothered that I didn't get it after that!

LondonGranny Tue 01-Oct-19 10:34:13

One of the local kids who's doing a school history project asked me if I was an evacuee doing the war! I'm 64! I was able to tell him lots about my parents and grandparents in the war though so he went away happy.

00mam00 Tue 01-Oct-19 10:36:22

In the last year I have been offered seats on the tube many times. I am 73 but used to kid myself I looked much younger with my snazzy buzz cut and big red glasses, but people are now seeing through that sad