Gransnet forums

Chat

My cats are driving me insane!

(45 Posts)
fizzers Tue 01-Oct-19 10:29:19

So it's pouring down here, has been for the last few days - almost constant, my cats want to go out, open the door and they won't go, or they go out and want to come back in again. They go out the back and run round to the front and want to come in through the window.

I swear the past couple of days I have been up and down like a yo-yo, the filthy looks I get off them, all because it's pouring down!

jaylucy Thu 03-Oct-19 10:31:44

My cat usually likes to go out - at least to sit in the passageway by our back door , after she has had her dinner at about 4pm.
It's her way of sitting on guard - during the summer, while it has been warm, I have had the back door open and several of the neighbours cats like coming in and helping themselves to her dried food, if I have forgotten to put it out of reach. But one of them doesn't stop there - I caught him fishing food out of the dried food sack that I have, even though it was tied up, and drinking out of the water fountain!
Strangely enough, my cat hasn't wanted to go out once she saw the rain and her guard duty has been reduced to her having to sit on my bedroom windowsill !

Jaycee5 Thu 03-Oct-19 10:36:22

My dog used to do that (although not as bad as cats would be). He would go to the door and look at me to open it (although he had a dog door) then look at me, waiting for me to stop the rain. If I got the lead he would be happy to go for a walk in the rain or if a muddy bog appeared he'd be right in there, but going out in the garden was a different issue apparently.
Not much you can do about it really unless you can get a cat flap installed somewhere.

Miep1 Thu 03-Oct-19 10:54:04

Our ginger tom, Cornflake, goes out in the rain, comes back in and just stands there "I'm wet" is written all over his face. Won't budge till we dry him, then goes back out. We can play this game all day or, worse, night - he stands on my bed, dripping!

HannahLoisLuke Thu 03-Oct-19 10:56:49

I used to have two cats who spent most of their time out in the farmyard. They had a cat flap into the laundry room and would come in to eat or deposit dead rats!
When they died, both aged 17 I said no more cats, and reading these posts it was the best decision ever.

WendyBT Thu 03-Oct-19 11:58:10

Definition of a door - something a cat is always the wrong side of.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 03-Oct-19 13:34:59

A cat flap is the answer, but then of course cat will come in soaking wet, jump onto your lap to dry off and complain bitterly about the weather that he or she chose to go out in.

I tell mine that his prayers for good weather are just as likely to be answered as mine are.

phoenix Thu 03-Oct-19 14:02:45

Oliver Sprout is a right royal pain in the bottom when it's raining!

I have never known a cat get so absolutely soaked, I have mentioned before that I think he needs re waterproofing! grin

He comes in, presents himself for drying (he has his own towel and loves a good rub down) then promptly goes back outside to get wet again, so that the whole process can be repeated.

Minnie, on the other hand definitely does not "do" wet and windy weather.

Madmaggie Thu 03-Oct-19 14:21:55

Your posts have had me roaring with laughter - I miss mine, they're such great company. Lovely pictures too, thanks for sharing.

CBBL Thu 03-Oct-19 16:49:23

We have two cats (both rescues), one of which we allow outside and the other we try to keep in. This is because Bella (the indoor cat) has no road sense at all, is very friendly and will go to anyone, is happy to be picked up and will go into other people's houses (where there isn't always a warm welcome!). Our "outdoor" cat, Jack does not like heavy rain or strong winds and soon comes home if the weather is bad. He will come to a window (we live in a bungalow) to be let in, so we do not have too much of the in/out going to the door problem. We have two litter trays in different locations. Even when Bella was allowed out - we always called both of them in at night. Last year she disappeared for four days, and I printed leaflets and went to every house in the village to ask about her. A couple of residents complained about her running out in front of their cars - so once we got her back (she was on a local farmers land) we decided to keep her in. She is not entirely happy that Jack gets to go outside when she doesn't and we did build a Catio along one side of the house for them - which they loved. Unfortunately, our house has been on the market for some time, and we decided to remove the catio, as it seemed to put some people off. However, we bought a big outdoor cage for her - so on sunny days, she still gets to be outside in the garden, but is not able to roam freely. When we had the bad rain recently, Jack would go out first thing (7.00am) and was soon back in the house, where he would stay for quite some time. If the rain stopped he would ask to go out again - but this would only happen if it was prior to tea-time!

moggie57 Thu 03-Oct-19 17:19:21

if its raining .make sure they got enough to climb and play on inside..dont open the front window for them ,tell the back door or nothing ,they soon learn. oh and get a cat flap fitted...my lucky aged 17 .miows an awful lot ,and people think he's in agony.but it just to let me know he's coming in. or that a neighourhood cat is visiting. . then he looks through the cat flap to see if i got his medicine ready for him. then he's off like a shot.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 03-Oct-19 17:46:45

Don’t have that trouble my beauties are indoor only

maryhoffman37 Thu 03-Oct-19 18:23:24

My cats look at us accusingly, as if to say "you rained!"

GrannySomerset Thu 03-Oct-19 18:46:37

Thank you for reminding me of how much cats make you laugh. Our two regarded DH as cat janitor and door opener, and he was soft enough to let them.

Phoebes Thu 03-Oct-19 23:02:42

Absthame: try leaving used tea bags coated with Olbas oil around the garden and renew them from time to time. ’s less drastic than using a shotgun!

newnanny Fri 04-Oct-19 00:33:13

My 3 cats and 2 dogs all use a pet flap. They keep each other company and all get on well together. One cat goes out quite a lot and another only goes out to toilet.

Nanna58 Fri 04-Oct-19 13:17:03

We no longer have a cat , but still have the catflaps front and back of the house. When it rains one of my greyhounds sticks it’s head out of one , then does the same at the other side of the house as if the weather will be different there- hilarious!

Cressida Sun 06-Oct-19 16:30:15

The backdoor is wide open but it's cold and raining. Both cats made their opinion quite clear. We're not going out,

phoenix Sun 06-Oct-19 16:57:46

Trendynannie6 what fabulous felines!

Why are they indoor only?

Margs Wed 09-Oct-19 11:32:07

I've got an all-black cat but I don't think he's very lucky with the weather at the moment!

Naturally "It's.All.Your.Fault." (No.It.Is.Not.)

He came back last week absolutely sopping with his fur standing up in spikes. Ha!Ha!Ha!