Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you store yours?

(23 Posts)
gmelon Tue 01-Oct-19 14:37:27

If you've made a Christmas cake.
Yesterday evening a friend helped me make mine (I have Multiple sclerosis).
I'm looking for tips on storage. I'm thinking greaseproof paper and/or foil.
How do you store yours?

PernillaVanilla Tue 01-Oct-19 14:42:13

I usually wrap mine in grease proof paper, then in foil and put it in a cake tin so it won't get damaged. Of course every week it has to be taken out of the tin, unwrapped and fed with brandy, then parcelled up and put back in the tin.

BlueSapphire Tue 01-Oct-19 14:43:46

I do the same as PernillaVanilla.

humptydumpty Tue 01-Oct-19 14:45:17

Me too.

Witzend Tue 01-Oct-19 14:46:17

Greasproof paper and a tin.

LondonGranny Tue 01-Oct-19 14:49:54

Greaseproof paper and a tin.
Annoyingly it's now called 'baking paper' or 'baking parchment' which is why when I sent my son on a shopping errand he came back empty handed saying they only had baking paper & baking parchment.

BBbevan Tue 01-Oct-19 14:57:18

Greaseproof and a tin . Feed weekly. Lovely!!!

Gonegirl Tue 01-Oct-19 14:58:57

Greasproof paper first, then foil, then in a tin.

Gonegirl Tue 01-Oct-19 14:59:36

These threads are almost making me excited at the thought of Xmas baking.

Gonegirl Tue 01-Oct-19 15:00:07

I only feed it a couple of times.

GillT57 Tue 01-Oct-19 15:26:07

pernillavanilla I wish to be reincarnated as your Christmas Cake.
every week it has to be taken out of the tin, unwrapped and fed with brandy, then parcelled up and put back in the tin

Sounds a divine way to spend the winter months

ginny Tue 01-Oct-19 16:29:13

Wrap in parchment and foil and into a container. No booze. Not required we like to taste the fruit.

aggie Tue 01-Oct-19 16:32:35

No booze for my cake , it is fine without

Cherrytree59 Tue 01-Oct-19 16:51:18

I do as posted above?

I use knitting needle to make holes in the bottom of cake to pour the brandy (or whatever) into.

I also marzipan and ice the bottom of the cake as this is usually the smoother and level.

Gill don't think you would like to come back as my xmas cake!
bottom stabbed with a knitting needle grin

EllanVannin Tue 01-Oct-19 17:21:18

I can remember mum screeching at bro. and I " don't dare open that oven door ", as the cake sat baking for hours. The smell was all around the house and we knew Christmas wasn't far away. I think mum made them towards the end of October before Halloween and bonfire night.
Every now and again the knitting needle went in with brandy poured down. Puds were made in June or July and we made a wish while stirring the mixture.

GrannySomerset Tue 01-Oct-19 18:24:26

Cake and mincemeat usually made during October half term. Cake wrapped in greaseproof paper or equivalent and foil and stored in the garage in an airtight plastic box. I use a large glass of brandy in the mix but never feed the cooked cake, and the end product is delicious. Recipe came from DH’s great grandmother who was a cook in a large Victorian household. Mincemeat recipe too - takes half an hour to make and keeps for a couple of years if it gets the chance.

GillT57 Tue 01-Oct-19 18:51:05

cherrytree59. That may make my eyes water grin

SueDonim Tue 01-Oct-19 20:12:43

Greaseproof and foil here, too.

giulia Tue 01-Oct-19 20:14:13

When newly married here in Italy, I announced to my newly acquired Sicilian family in September that I was making a cake to be eaten at Christmas. They were horrified but one of my brothers-in-law enjoyed coming over once a week to drip brandy into holes in the bottom.

When I presented it on the day, properly marzipaned and covered in royal icing, they ate the Whole thing IN ONE GO! They loved it, saying the flavour was very reminiscent of Sicilian cakes.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 01-Oct-19 20:18:44

What happened to stir up Sunday? Does anyone keep to that?

gmelon Tue 01-Oct-19 22:45:59

Although I've made the cake I'm waiting for Stir up Sunday to make my Christmas puddings.

Grammaretto Tue 01-Oct-19 23:05:36

It does feel too early still. When the clocks change?
I approve of your storage system especially the feeding.

Callistemon Wed 02-Oct-19 03:08:50

Ditto, fresh greaseproof paper, tinfoil then in a tin.
I don't pour more brandy on mine now because the DGD eat it, although I do soak the fruit in brandy or rum before mixing and baking.

GillT57 grin