Gransnet forums

Chat

The D. And D. Of Sussex In The News Again.

(601 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 02-Oct-19 07:42:53

Looks like the Daily Mail is being sued by them regarding a private letter from the Duchess to her estranged father.

Who is behind the letter being shown to the paper? An unhappy member of their staff? Or Mr. Markle maybe?

Iam64 Wed 02-Oct-19 11:19:52

The statement said the legal action had been long considered. I’m sure the couple, the RF and legal advisors monitored the DM and MoS in the period from FebruRy as well as before. The attacks on MM have been unnecessary, incessant and cruel.
I wouldn’t want the press hounding anybody in this way if it could be avoided. I hope the legal action along with public support for the couple may make the tabloids reign themselves in a bit.

GabriellaG54 Wed 02-Oct-19 11:34:53

As for her father, none of us know the inside (or back) story, only what the press choose to print to suit the agenda of the day.
None of us would like our lives in print and be unable to rebut the untruths and suppositions.

Oopsminty Wed 02-Oct-19 11:40:05

Well we do know that H&M never went to meet her father when they got engaged. Or ever for that matter. Long before anything was printed by her family.

I think that the Christmas message that Harry gave to the Press was what got their goat. This is when they came out of the woodwork.

I think if my daughter had married Harry and heard him saying she'd had a wonderful real Christmas for the first time I'd have been peeved as well and I'm sure I'd have wanted my side to be heard.

On Radio 4 he said " “She’s done an amazing job, you know it’s the family I suppose she’s never had.” ""

That started the whole madness with half sister and I'm not really surprised.

Sara65 Wed 02-Oct-19 11:41:17

No we don’t know, and we will never know.

All the more reason in my opinion to ignore the mud slinging, and keep as low a profile as they can.

Sara65 Wed 02-Oct-19 11:42:32

Responding to Gabriella

Anniebach Wed 02-Oct-19 12:13:07

Did they wait until after the S.A. Tour because they needed the press .

No member of the Windsors have been attacked by the press as much as Charles and Camilla, they remained silent.

The Windsors have always stuck to ‘never explain, never complain. Very wise, Diana didn’t, Harry and Megan the same.

Not wise to ‘dance with the devil’ .

humptydumpty Wed 02-Oct-19 12:19:10

What a horrible post, eazybee. I'm sure relatives of people whi have died in an accident as a result of not wearing a seat bely would love to be told it was the victim's fault.

Anniebach Wed 02-Oct-19 12:36:30

eazybee wasn’t being horrible .

Diana was not killed by the press, she used the press, those last days in Paris the press were encouraged to follow every move,

the visit to the Duke of Windsor’s villa, why make this
public ?

Why leave a luxurious apartment in the Ritz late at night against the advice of security , knowing the paps were gathered outside ?

Playing cat and mouse and they lost , and she was not wearing
a seat belt.

So young, so tragic , but truth is truth .

crystaltipps Wed 02-Oct-19 12:54:19

Let’s all blame the victim. Diana obviously wanted to be chased through the streets by photographers and she must have chosen a drunk driver deliberately and not wearing a seatbelt must be a capital crime so
She deserved it - this is the message I’m getting from some on here. If photos of the royals didn’t sell papers to the gawping public who lap it up they wouldn’t be chasing them would they?

Oopsminty Wed 02-Oct-19 12:59:10

Not sure that anyone's blaming Diana for anything. Fact is she wasn't wearing a seatbelt. She might have survived had she worn one. Not very relevant though.

Without the Press the RF will wither away. Good, some may say. I've always been quite happy with the Queen. Not a full on Royalist by any means.

But they do need the Press.

Without the 'gawping public' 's interest what would they be?

Bridgeit Wed 02-Oct-19 13:05:21

Good, I am pleased that they are suing.
Not so pleased that we who nothing about MMs life with her father are making judgements.
We don’t know, but they do.
It seems very very unlikely that anyone but her father & the Daily Murk will benefit from this article.

Anniebach Wed 02-Oct-19 13:35:47

Not blaming Diana, just saying what is true , what happened
in Paris was choice.

It was choice to leave the Ritz late at night knowing the paps
were waiting.

Not choice of driver,

Choice wear seat belt or not wear seat belt.

Yes the public read newspapers and yes Diana played to the press for publicity she craved.

She was chased that night by the paps and knew they would
follow , why leave the Ritz ?

Anja Wed 02-Oct-19 15:09:56

Yes indeed it is blaming the victims.

How come some people always do that? What does it say about them? Sad.

Anniebach Wed 02-Oct-19 15:13:39

Anja if you didn’t wear a seat belt in a car , it crashed , you were injured or killed would you be a victim?

NotSpaghetti Wed 02-Oct-19 15:16:24

Even if the father is difficult and doing stupid things I think I would have needed to visit him after his heart attack had I been the woman who was regularly blogging about him and how much he loved me up to 2014... At the very least I would have sent an equiry to maybe bring him over for the wedding ahead of that. It is all so sad.
I also wish Prince Harry had not made things worse with his statement about her never having a family at Christmas... they really do need someone knowledgeable to advise them as they are so much in the public eye.... and then they need to listen.
What a mess.

Anniebach Wed 02-Oct-19 15:20:12

Parts of the letter was quoted to the press by her friends before the mail printed it.

Harry is now claiming his wife is a victim of powerful sources.

Does he need help ?

Anja Wed 02-Oct-19 15:22:06

Victim blaming Annie

Anja Wed 02-Oct-19 15:22:50

And more

Anja Wed 02-Oct-19 15:24:22

Perhaps it’s all the nasty people who seem to be out to get them, blame them or do them down who need help!

merlotgran Wed 02-Oct-19 15:54:52

I don't think it's being nasty to object to hypocritical behaviour. Some of Harry's comments were understandable but some were OTT.

Why is Harry making a fuss about the letter now when most people have forgotten all about it and risk taking the shine off a successful royal tour?

Sara65 Wed 02-Oct-19 16:02:03

Merlot

I was thinking the same thing, I’m sure most of us had totally forgotten all about it, seems very odd timing.

crystaltipps Wed 02-Oct-19 16:06:23

It is definitely victim blaming to say it was her choice to get in the car - so she chose death then. Yes you’re still a victim if you didn’t put seat belt on, could just have been forgotten, did she order a drunk driver? That’s the sort of “girl wore short skirt so no surprise she was raped” mentality.

Anniebach Wed 02-Oct-19 16:14:03

It is so out of control, who remembers the letter published
7 months ago, I don’t recall reading about it.

Now Harry is speaking of Megan being a victim of powerful
sources.

Sparklefizz Wed 02-Oct-19 16:14:18

Maybe it's more Harry than Meghan?

Why did he say that unkind thing about Meghan's family right at the start when he knew it would be broadcast to the whole world? That was completely stupid and in line with Charles' "Whatever love is" comment re Diana. Perhaps they have both inherited Philip's lack of tact. However, Harry can only have got that "family hard luck story" from Meghan so she must have given that impression .... anyway, it set the cat amongst the pigeons from the beginning.

I used to be one of Harry's greatest fans but now he seems petulant and seems to view himself constantly as a victim.

Their African Tour seemed to be a great success. M seemed more comfortable than usual, they were not preaching too much although H did say a couple of ridiculous tactless things, and the fans saw more of baby Archie than just his foot or fingers. Over here in Britain we were forgiving of the fact that we hadn't been allowed to see photos of Archie earlier on, and the Press had been praising of their African success.

Now Harry has blown it! Why?

Sparklefizz Wed 02-Oct-19 16:17:14

To answer my own question: To make himself the victim again? To sabotage success? Some people have a self-sabotage button. I was married to someone who sabotaged everything because he subconsciously felt he didn't deserve things to go well. Could this be Harry?