Gransnet forums


Advice please- 76yr old friend attacked & hospitalised by young male neighbour.

(16 Posts)
alex57currie Mon 07-Oct-19 11:43:42

This happened a few weeks ago. Severe battering ensued after disagreement over apples!
Head scan, confusion, concussion. All logged in A&E. The thing is, after he reported to police,
nothing has been acted upon. Several weeks have passed. He's lost his confidence. Will to go on.

LOST his wife 5yrs ago. Never been the same. No children. Siblings etc not interested in his situ.

My daughter knows him through the dog walking community in the park. She'd been asking about
his absence? Nobody knew. She saw him on Sat. He was extremely upset. He feels worthless as a human.

My fear is if this neighbour is not held to account, he'll attack park friend again. Feel really sick at this. It's like he's
given up. What can be done legally to help him. Give him back personal control of his life, without
being seen as interfering?

EllanVannin Mon 07-Oct-19 12:47:09

Things like this make me feel sick too. It's an horrendous attack. Have you tried to contact victim support to see what they can advise ? It would be a start.

Jane10 Mon 07-Oct-19 13:04:18

The poor man. Surely the hospital would have alerted the police? Would victim support get involved? The local church? I hope he can be helped back to feeling more confident.

silverlining48 Mon 07-Oct-19 13:04:51

That is very sad. Surprised the hospital didn’t report it to the police as an assault at the time. Victim support seems a good start. Or a call to the police to see what, if anything is happening.

FarNorth Mon 07-Oct-19 13:26:09

*after he reported to police,
nothing has been acted upon*

Might he want support to follow it up with the police?

Alexa Mon 07-Oct-19 13:38:14

Could you ask him " Would you like me to help you?" ?

grapefruitpip Mon 07-Oct-19 13:41:27

Alexa, spot on. Go round with a cake and chat to him. Despite all the cuts in services there are some things available. There is victim support for a start.

nanaK54 Mon 07-Oct-19 15:16:04

Poor man. I agree ask him if he would like some help to follow this up with the police.
I did, however, occur to me how does he know that nothing has been done?

BlueBelle Mon 07-Oct-19 15:37:54

Victim support are usually there on hand I ve had crimes against me (a couple of robberies) and been offered Victim Support very quickly although I didn’t need it as I wasn’t traumatised
I agree with others pop round with a cake or something he might just need a friendly face and someone to offload to
Poor man I would also urge him to re ring the Police to make sure everything is on file are you sure he did report it in the first place or could he have been too scared and just said he rang them ? Although the police are often unable to solve a crime or even get there in an expected period of time they do normally ring back in my experience and are as helpful as possible
I had my purse stolen this year and although they couldn’t do anything not enough evidence they did ring me within a day and again a few days afterwards to let me know there was nothing they could do and advise me if more evidence came to light to re ring them

Jane10 Mon 07-Oct-19 15:52:19

When my poor son was beaten up in the street and hospitalised I asked about victim support for him but apparently he 'didn't qualify' for it. Luckily he had us but I didn't understand the criteria at all. The police were very nice and almost as exasperated as us that the gang got away with it as each one blamed another one. angry

Anja Mon 07-Oct-19 16:44:18

Yes. It’s a case for Victim Support.

Nannarose Mon 07-Oct-19 17:04:55

It is very kind of you, and it is good that you are being a 'good neighbour'.
I would urge caution - the idea of going round with a cake or casserole or something is a very good one. It shows concern, but not 'interference'. I would ask if he wants any help to do anything, such as the suggested referral to Victim Support (or even Social Services if he is vulnerable)

There may be factors you are unaware of around the reporting and management of this crime, or other agencies' involvement. Be aware of your on safety around the neighbour - have your mobile immediately to hand, for example - maybe go round with someone else.
And thank you for your spirit!

welbeck Mon 07-Oct-19 19:16:01

this was not an unknown person assaulting someone randomly or for robbery.
sounds like some kind of on-going neighbour dispute.
so if this man is on his own, isolated and elderly, he is a vulnerable person, may be the target of further abuse. could you ask him if you could make a few phone calls for him, maybe from his house, to discuss these issues with social services, police, and ?? Age UK, Action on Elder Abuse.
try to get alongside him. it's good you are concerned.

alex57currie Thu 10-Oct-19 13:10:26

Hi, phew suprised at positive responses.
When I posted, I was informed that my
plea had been rejected. Hence my absence.
I was alerted by a PM from another Gransnet
member. I'll let my daughter see this thread.
Thank you so much virtual friends. 💐

Barmeyoldbat Thu 10-Oct-19 14:27:09

The poor man. The neighbour needs to be seen by the police. You need to ring the police again and ask what is happening and ask for someone to call round and take a statement. If they try to fob you off, ask for a complaints form and say you will be putting in a complaint. This has done it for me twice.

It needs to be taken seriously by the police. I am so glad you are supporting him but don't speak to the neighbour, leave it to the police. good luck and hope its works.

alex57currie Sat 12-Oct-19 12:13:51

Hi, just a final update. Daughter's park friend came out walking with his wee dog yesterday.
He's going to contact victim support. I stayed in the background when my daughter spoke
to him. He was very engaged with his dog walking community around him yesterday. It was
uplifting. Thank you too from my daughter. 💐