Gransnet forums

Chat

Handbags/pairs of shoes....how many?

(117 Posts)
grapefruitpip Fri 11-Oct-19 19:13:45

I'll go first. I've got 3 handbags, 2 pairs of OK shoes, a pair of boots I'm not that keen on ,and a pair of trainers.

Marmight Fri 11-Oct-19 21:43:44

Loads of shoes, boots, flip flops. Hazard a guess at around 40 - too many to count from the comfort of my chair. Some are hardly worn and some are 30+ years old. I have, probably, around 30 bags but I always use the same one. It’s like a comfort blanket. If I use a different one I feel most uncomfortable & out of sorts. However, I can’t bring myself to get rid of the other 29 - just in case ?

crystaltipps Fri 11-Oct-19 21:54:06

Well bully for you. I’m sure you can survive on minimal footwear. Enjoy. Who cares how many shoes/ bags anyone has? I’m sure when I had small kids they each had school shoes plus trainers and that was it, when new pair required we had to scratch around to replace those. Now I’m older and my feet have been the same size for xx years I’ve acquired a number of pieces, just bought a new pair of Hunter wellies so now have short and long wellies plus garden clogs. All useful.

Urmstongran Fri 11-Oct-19 22:03:44

Ooh ....

Scribbles Fri 11-Oct-19 22:13:15

3 good quality shoulder bags, 1 cheap and cheerful canvas shoulder bag, 1 dinky little beaded evening bag (rarely used).

Including wellies, slippers and gardening clogs, I make it 22 assorted pairs of footwear. There would be more but I don't have the space and the rule is that when I get something new, something has to go. Even shoes sad.

Luckylegs Fri 11-Oct-19 22:17:42

I daren't say!

Maggiemaybe Fri 11-Oct-19 22:18:47

Way too many shoes, boots, sandals. No slippers or wellies. Some are very old - I still occasionally wear a pair of heels I love which I bought for DD1’s christening 39 years ago. I need to have a savage cull because I won’t be wearing most of those work shoes any time soon.

I’m not interested in handbags. Have a few but can’t be bothered to switch things around all the time.

BlueSapphire Fri 11-Oct-19 22:22:17

I'm withHarrigran and Maw - too many to count.....

paddyann Fri 11-Oct-19 22:28:52

Boots are my guilty pleasure I have around 25 pairs maybe more most knee hgh though still a couple of over the knee ones and loads of shoes/sandals shoe boots .I'm not into handbags at all and use the same one most of the time but my SIL gives me a handbag at least once a year and I dont like getting rid of them so I use one when I know she'll be around .I have got several evening bags used once each ,bought to go with outfits for balls and charity doos .I might just clear all those out now you've made me realise how many I have .

I have been hear to say I wear the same boots or shoes all the time ,and then I see the ones I've had on lined up the stairs to be put away.

nanasam Fri 11-Oct-19 22:41:56

I have 1 x heels, 1 x flats, 1 x boots, 2 x trainers, 1 x walking shoes, 1 x walking boots, 1 x wellies but a whole LOAD of sandals/flip flops!

I have 1 x big handbag, 1 x special handbag and LOADS of holiday-type bags.

I really should live in a warm climate!

Hetty58 Fri 11-Oct-19 22:43:31

I gave up handbags (although I had loads in my younger days) and just use my pockets. Handbags say 'fussy old woman' to me now!

I have three pairs of trainers, two pairs of hiking boots and two pairs flatties. I gave up sandals as my elderly feet and toes should be hidden from view, I think!

Hetty58 Fri 11-Oct-19 22:44:17

Oh, and I gave up high heels in my forties!

CanadianGran Fri 11-Oct-19 23:30:45

I also have more than I need. But I do tend to keep shoes longer than their best-by date and save them for gardening or walking the dog. We are definitely more of a consumer economy compared to previous generations. My mum had walking shoes, church shoes, one pair of sandals and one pair of warm boots. if I had to add them up in a closet cleanout there are probably 25 to 30. I actually just bought another pair on the weekend, Dansko clogs... love them.

Handbags not so many, I think 4.

Grammaretto Fri 11-Oct-19 23:54:17

I have a handbag. A small evening bag and a small rucksack.
1 pr snow boots, wellies,walking boots, 2 x laceups. 2 x sandals. trainers, slippers. 2 prs of evening shoes. Birkenstocks. Is that 12 pairs?
Where do you keep all those shoes?

BBbevan Sat 12-Oct-19 06:23:17

5 handbags, 2 large ,3 small. Wellies and walking boots. 4 pairs of Birkenstock sandals for the summer. 4 pairs of winter lace up shoes. Of which 2 are Josef Seibel and still going strong after 10+ years. And to finish 2 pairs of small heeled sequined evening shoes.
I hate buying shoes and breaking them in so wear a comfy pair until they die. ?

Nortsat46 Sat 12-Oct-19 07:05:37

Well, I was going to say about 20 pairs of shoes. Then I counted the boxes and see I have 35 pairs of shoes.
That will galvanise me to list a few pairs on EBay.

I have 7 handbags, varying for summer, winter, work, going out, cross body for walks and a beaded one for evenings.

Rather too much 'stuff' I think ... despite agreeing with the previous 'In Praise of Stuff' thread ...

Sara65 Sat 12-Oct-19 08:17:49

Maggiemaybe

I’m with you regarding handbags, I can’t be bothered to keep changing it, and I no longer buy expensive ones.

I think I’ve got more boots than I thought, because I’ve got quite a few pairs of never worn, and probably, never will be worn ones, in a spare room wardrobe.

I have never, ever owned a pair of trainers, I think they’re horrible, and the only excuse for wearing them, is if you’re doing sport.

craftyone Sat 12-Oct-19 08:29:35

so what! woopee dooda, who cares how many shoes people have or don`t have. Its up to them what they spend their money on. I cba to go and count mine, unfortunately all have to be extra wide so I buy online when I see something I like. I bought 3 pairs of lovely canvas shoes the other week, will wear one pair until I cannot clean them any more. All my many other shoes are very good leather or suede. Boots, maybe 4 pairs, last pair from celtic sheepskin. Slippers, at least 2 pairs. Garden boots, walking boots, 2 pairs of garden clogs. Horses for courses, I don`t drink or smoke, just wish I could wear those lovely sky high stilletos. I bet people keep them in boxes and stroke them from time to time, I am jealous of their dainty feet

Urmstongran Sat 12-Oct-19 08:31:11

How do we square the circle between consumerism and saving the planet? It’s a dilemma.
?

Pantglas2 Sat 12-Oct-19 09:29:13

Like you Urmstongran I have some in Spain and some at home and a dozen in each but that covers slippers, sandals, shoes, trainers and boots.

Hand bags are a whole other story - a dozen at most as I give them to my daughter/granddaughter when I’ve gone off them and buy another from the market - we know how cheap they are in Spain don’t we!

Calendargirl Sat 12-Oct-19 10:09:55

Yes Urmstongran, quite a balancing act between consumerism and saving the planet.

Comparing this thread with other threads running recently, where many GN’ers are keen to STP, and several suggest being vegan is one of the best ways forward, how does that equate with many of these boots, shoes and handbags being made from leather from the cows we ought not to be eating?

Just seems to me that we are all prepared to compromise when it suits us. I am not a prolific shoe or handbag owner by the way, but am probably just as guilty in other ways, so not holier than thou!

Catherine27 Sun 13-Oct-19 09:05:43

sorry to say 70 , but that does include shoes boots flip flops, work shoes ,holiday shoes and trainers

Cassie4751 Sun 13-Oct-19 09:10:05

Ooh embarrassing! 50 plus pairs of shoes, 8 pairs boots, 25 handbags, 10 pairs sandals. ????????????????

aprilrose Sun 13-Oct-19 09:21:32

Oh dear. I was brought up to only have what was needed. I have never had a massive wardrobe of clothes. I have four pairs of footwear - one pair of court shoes, one pair of trainers, one pair of boots and one pair of slippers.

I have one hand bag .

I have two shopping bags for doing my shopping in ( the 50p kind , plastic washable re usable from Morrisons).

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 13-Oct-19 09:27:18

One very good everyday handbag, two smaller evening bags which I rarely use, 8 pairs of shoes, 1 pair of slippers. I alternate the shoes each day but obviously gravitate towards the favourites.

I can't get on with sandals, flip-flops or boots.

dragonfly46 Sun 13-Oct-19 09:30:47

I have many pairs of shoes, boots, slippers, sandals but not too many bags. I have one very expensive bag my DH bought for our GW which I use all the time. I find if I change bags I always forget something.