Gransnet forums

Chat

Handbags/pairs of shoes....how many?

(117 Posts)
grapefruitpip Fri 11-Oct-19 19:13:45

I'll go first. I've got 3 handbags, 2 pairs of OK shoes, a pair of boots I'm not that keen on ,and a pair of trainers.

Davida1968 Sun 13-Oct-19 17:24:20

100 pairs?!!! (I've just had to have a little lie down....)

Merryweather Sun 13-Oct-19 17:56:45

My mom has over 200 pairs of shoes/boots/sandles/ flip-flops etc. The last count was over a year ago so there's definitely more. It's her guilty pleasure. I go get given the odd pair here and there.
I probably have 20-30 pairs of shoes/ boots etc and as for handbags I have 10-20. Mother has around 40. She's been collecting them for years though, as have I. We both have expensive tastes too but are sale shoppers so it's not as horrendous as it could be.
A good pair of shoes affects your posture, mood, and makes the outfit. Even more so when teamed with a gorgeous bag too.
We both have small feet I'm a 3 she's a 4 so very often I have brought children's shoes. Usually always leather or suede.

Ooooo that felt like confession!

Jaycee5 Sun 13-Oct-19 18:10:41

grapefruitpip I'm about the same. One pair of shoes that I mostly wear, one comfortable canvas paid that I wear on warm days or if I'm taking rubbish out, one pair of uncomfortable shoes that I bought online and can't bring myself to throw away, a pair of casual shoes that I won in a competition that were expensive for what they are which might be comfortable when I can be bothered to wear them in and a pair of slippers. I'd like some sandals and boots and another pair of shoes but I hate shopping for shoes and have not been particularly lucky online.

narrowboatnan Sun 13-Oct-19 19:51:06

I had to have a massive cull of such things when we retired and did a drastic downsize from 5 bedroom house to 57’, 2 berth narrow boat so now I have 2 handbags, one pair of fashion boots, one pair of leather clogs, one pair of fleece lined crocs (great for when my feet swell), one pair of sandals, two pairs of trainers, one pair of slippers and my trusty wellies. Everything else went to the charity shop in two black bin liner bags ?

MamaCaz Sun 13-Oct-19 19:59:13

I bet you need those wellies for those muddy towpaths, *narrowboatnan? grin

I shouldn't really admit this, but in our early years on the boats (late 'seventies), I used to boat in flip-flops in summer, and thought nothing of jumping between lockgates in them, though only on narrow canals, obviously. I cringe at the thought now!

tidyskatemum Sun 13-Oct-19 20:26:27

Where on earth do you keep 40 or 50 pairs of shoes????
I have 1 pair walking boots
2 pairs ankle boots
1 sandals
2 flats
1 heels that I never get to wear but just sigh over from time to time
Bags - only use one at a time as I can’t do with the faff of moving stuff from one to another.

Grandmama Sun 13-Oct-19 21:16:17

Too many to count! Rather a lot shoes and have lovely handbags going back years, still use most of them from time to time.

AlgeswifeVal Sun 13-Oct-19 22:18:22

I have just binned a bin liner full of shoes of all types this still leaves me with about 20+ pairs. I have several handbags which I will give to a charity shop fairly soon. I had approx 200 pairs of knickers which I counted the other day, I chucked some out and I do admit it is ridiculous to have bought so many. As you can tell I am decluttering. BTW I have 20 flower vases of all shapes and sizes. A fool and his money are soon parted, so they say. This includes me, for now.

annodomini Sun 13-Oct-19 22:44:55

Why bin all those shoes? I don't know what condition yours were in, AlgeswifeVal, but I often see shoes in charity shops and if they won't take them, it might be worth putting them in one of the charity bins often seen in car parks. I have a number of pairs of shoes but none of them are going in the bin if they can be worn by someone who can't afford new ones.

planete Mon 14-Oct-19 02:19:00

1 pair of wellies, 1 pair of walking boots, 1 pair of flats, 2 pairs of sandals. No handbags. Thick socks instead of slippers. I have had a clear out of the stuff I do not want to wear any longer, ie. anything uncomfortable or unused for a long time.

grannybuy Tue 15-Oct-19 02:49:17

Four handbags, but I generally use the same one, unless I need to 'dress up', though this is seldom nowadays. The last pair of 'heels' that I bought are about fifteen years old, and are rarely required. I have two pairs of Ecco shoes, and two Gabor pairs, all comfortable, and bought in the last five years, and half a dozen other pairs, old now, and hardly ever on. I do have two pairs of ankle boots (sale bargains), but they're not as comfortable as my shoes. I do like shoes, but have great difficulty allowing myself to buy things that I don't really need.

Daisyboots Tue 15-Oct-19 18:48:27

I couldn't count how many pairs of shoes etc I have got but some predate us moving here. My excuse would have been that although I am only a size 42 it's impossible to buy that size in ladies shoes here. I have always bought shoes sandals etc in the sales either in England on holiday in America. I bought 4 pairs of ankle boots last year while in England from the manufacturer that is usually advertised on GN. But all were discounted. I shall never buy any more shoes now. Or clothes for that matter. As for handbags I have quite a collection but mainly bought as presents by my husband and I tend to use the same lightweight fabric one most of the time.

Grammaretto Tue 15-Oct-19 22:49:05

I saw in Lidl today a tall silver pole with spiky things coming from it. It called itself a shoe carousel and could hold 48!!!! pairs of shoes. Well I never.
I thought it was an artificial Christmas tree.

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/shoe-carousel-for-upto-48-pairs-of-shoes-1499-at-lidl-2981009

Marydoll Wed 16-Oct-19 08:29:10

Grammaretto, this has caught my eye!

I wonder if it is any good. ? It would make my life so much easier!

Grammaretto Wed 16-Oct-19 15:44:37

Marydoll I read the reviews and think on the whole it is not a good buy. landfill in no time

IKEA sell shoe stands to hold a mere 15 pairs but take up far less room and are much less intrusive/more discreet!
They cost more but wouldn't draw attention to the shoes.

Marydoll Wed 16-Oct-19 15:54:26

Thanks, Grammaretto, saved from another impulse buy. grin