Gransnet forums

Chat

What a moment

(47 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 12-Oct-19 09:20:47

Just found tears running down my face as I watched Eliud Kipchoge run a marathon in 1 hour 59.40 secs The first man to ever run under 2 hours what an achievement A humble farmer who used to run 2 miles to school every day What a guy and I m not even a sports lover

GrannyGravy13 Sun 13-Oct-19 12:32:13

Good luck GabriellaG54 and Barmeyoldbat, I have only done a half marathon and that was "challenging"

Unfortunately due to an ankle injury which in turn affected my sacroiliac joints I am unable to run again.

GabriellaG54 Sun 13-Oct-19 13:22:23

Thank you GrannyGravy13
Please don't say 'only'. Any distance is to be applauded as effort has been expended.
It's a slog really but I know my limits.
I hope your injury has now healed. flowers

Barmeyoldbat Sun 13-Oct-19 14:11:00

GG54 Mr Barmey always starts right at the back of a race and then feels good as he overtakes, rather than the other way around. He is 71 (nearly) and has moved up an age group with means there are less his age to compete against. It gets easier as you get older. Yorkshire, is that next April? will it be a hilly course being in Yorkshire.

GreenGran78 Sun 13-Oct-19 14:36:21

I would love to be able to run again. It’s an exhilarating experience that I have never forgotten. At the age of 80, and recovering from a hip replacement, I’m just beginning to regain a decent walking pace, and have almost shaken off my slight limp.
My weekly exercise and aqua aerobics classes are going to be supplemented by some gym work, from tomorrow, and my indoor kurling group re-opens on Wednesday, after the summer break. I am hoping that I will soon be able to break into a trot again, even if it’s only for a few yards. Onward and upward, though I’m not aiming at a marathon!

BlueBelle Sun 13-Oct-19 14:41:33

Some of you just don’t get it ,,,, it wasn’t a race ... and Gabrielle yes I did have tears at his achievement at the whole feel good thing and the good feelings towards him from the crowds that went with it just because I have feelings there is need to mockDo you know I get tears when a brass band comes though the town and often choke them back when an ambulance speeds through with blue light flashing and siren wailing maybe because I m not a robot

Good luck in your race Gabrielle I m sure you will do wonderfully well as you always do

grapefruitpip Sun 13-Oct-19 14:45:56

BlueBelle, I get it.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 13-Oct-19 14:54:48

Bluebell, no it wan't done in a race and under race rules, he was able to take a advantage, a great deal of it, of help that is denied to a normal runner. Yes it was great, but sorry it certainly didn't bring tears to my eyes, even though many things do. So I think you were being about unfair to GG54. (never thought I would say that)

craftyone Sun 13-Oct-19 15:00:31

springs on his shoes, itwas s technology that did the marathon. Not like my dd, who did 100miles in one session just a couple of weeks ago, now that took true grit

Gonegirl Sun 13-Oct-19 15:11:17

I haven't taken much notice of this event, just saw the finish on the news, but I did think it sounded cheaty. Why do that? It's not real human achievement.

Silly, and a waste of time in my opinion.

Riverwalk Sun 13-Oct-19 15:22:15

It is a real human achievement - he's a human and ran the distance in a certain time.

All the hype, money, technology etc. is a different matter.

GabriellaG54 Sun 13-Oct-19 15:43:19

Barmeyoldbat
That sounds like a great strategy Mr Barmey employs and one I might well adopt.
The 2019 YM is on 20th, next week and is the one I was originally running in before having to pull out in June and later stopped daily running.
I've applied to run in Oct 2020, think it's the 18th.
One of my AC ran last year and achieved a sub 2.30 time and hopes to do better next weekend.
They've won 3 half marathons in the past year.
I have another 12 months in which to up my game. wink

grapefruitpip Sun 13-Oct-19 15:46:56

itwas s technology that did the marathon.

Yeah, that'll be right, springy shoes just bounced along accompanied by other athletes.

GabriellaG54 Sun 13-Oct-19 15:48:47

100 miles...wow!
That must have taken days...
Hats off to your OH Craftycat

GabriellaG54 Sun 13-Oct-19 16:00:07

BlueBelle
I'm sorry if you though I was mocking your tears, that was insensitive.
I often forget that I'm a robot with no feelings but that was how I was programmed at birth.
I do admit to liking brass bands in parades, they make me smile. but I'm not blowing my own trumpet with regard to running. I'll do my best for the charity but it being my first proper organised run, I'll be somewhere at the back, no doubt. At my age I can't expect miracles.

BlueBelle Sun 13-Oct-19 18:13:50

barmyoldbat I know it wasn’t a race that’s what I said it wasn’t cheating because IT WASNT a race I can’t see where some of you are coming from He ran the distance in the time he needed to prove to himself and to others that it could be done He’d have been cheating if he was on drugs but there was no suggestion of that unlike some other ‘athletes

All athletes have their own special latest shoes their own drinks that they feel are what do them good, My son and daughter in law do Ironman and ultra iron man my daughter in law has represented her country I have a daughter who has a world record in her particular sport and they all buy the latest shoes, bikes made of all the latest light weight fast materials, foods I ve never heard of etc etc which could all be seen as an advantage
I remember Duncan Goodhew being told his bald head made him more streamline for swimming ? and had an unfair advantage
Yes Gabrielle you do seem to miss out on feelings in a lot of your posts but that’s obviously not your fault if you were born without any ? and I accept your apology and wish you good luck in your run
I loved Eddie the Eagle that’s me I d come in last

mcem Sun 13-Oct-19 18:54:42

It wasn't a race as such. Technology worked in his favour.
But bottom line - he proved that it is physically possible to do it.
Nuff said!

Gonegirl Sun 13-Oct-19 18:57:59

Got a lovely way with you haven't you grapefruitpip.

Gonegirl Sun 13-Oct-19 18:58:50

I would like to see him do it again without all the help.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 13-Oct-19 19:12:03

I think we will leave it at that Bluebelle even though I don't agree with you and I am afraid its you that doesn't get the point. Maybe we need to spell it out better.

grapefruitpip Sun 13-Oct-19 19:14:39

Got a lovely way with you haven't you grapefruitpip

I find that extremely offensive.

Gonegirl Sun 13-Oct-19 19:20:21

Well, read yer post? hmm