Gransnet forums

Chat

Tea in a pot with a teacosy anyone? (lighthearted thread)

(62 Posts)
giulia Sun 13-Oct-19 05:45:20

I was shocked to discover on a recent thread that, because I still drink loose leaf tea in a pot with a teacosy, I am one of the OLD FOGEY brigade.

Ok - I've been living out of the country for the past 45 years so am not much in tune with the times, but I would have thought that many more of you of my generation would still be drinking their tea this way.

The teabag is not ecological. Pouring hot water into a cold mug with a teabag in it is NOT making proper tea.

Most of us are not dashing out of the door anymore to get to work so time-saving is not criteria.

It is even hard these days for me to buy looseleaf tea (the ordinary kinds) on the internet. Last time, I had to purchase a two kilo pack and decant it all into small tins.

I avoid the use of a tea strainer or pot heating as my teapot is a cast iron Japanese one where the filter sits just under the lid, thus eliminating the need to heat the pot as the boiling water passes through the tea before touching it.

This is also useful because, if there is still tea in the pot after my morning cups, I can just put the pot on the gas and re-heat it in the afternoon. Economical too as tea costs more here in Europe than in the UK.

Does nobody else agree with me that there is nothing better than a proper cuppa from a teapot with a nice padded or knitted teacosy?

callgirl1 Sun 13-Oct-19 17:51:42

I use the teapot when there`s more than one person for tea, otherwise it`s a teabag in the mug. I always used loose leaf tea until we moved into a touring caravan temporarily (it lasted 15 months!), so then teabags were more practical, but just never went back to loose tea. I used to use Hornimans and save the stamps off the packet.
When I got married, my grandma gave me a sort of double spoon thingy with a spring action, it had little holes in it and was for putting tea in and brewing in the cup, she used it a lot, but I never have, it`s still in my kitchen drawer though.

phoenix Sun 13-Oct-19 17:58:41

Tea bag in a mug here blush Mr P doesn't drink tea, and I only have I cup/mug a day, first thing in the morning.

But putting the milk in before the watershock that is wrong, wrong, wrong!

LondonGranny Sun 13-Oct-19 18:09:20

Regarding getting rid of tea leaves. I'm lucky enough to now have a garden, albeit a tiny one, so leaves go on the garden as a mulch or in the food waste bin if it's bucketting down outside. Before I had a garden they went down the loo, never the sink.

MamaCaz Mon 14-Oct-19 12:17:15

My fairy house tea cosy. I made it to fit the bone China teapot that was part of a prize I won here on Gransnet smile

giulia Mon 14-Oct-19 13:31:57

MamaCaz FANTASTIC! Well done and what creativity! I bet your grandchildren love it and want tea from the fairy pot.

MamaCaz Mon 14-Oct-19 13:39:25

I really wish I could take credit for the design, giulia, but I'm not that clever. It was someone else's pattern, with just a few twists of my own added here and there in the trimmings.

SirChenjin Mon 14-Oct-19 14:14:44

That’s beautiful Mama! ???

giulia Mon 14-Oct-19 14:15:59

MamaCaz Well, I couldn't have done it in a month of Sundays.

MamaCaz Mon 14-Oct-19 17:12:55

" Well, I couldn't have done it in a month of Sundays. "

I love that expression, giulia - I still use it sometimes, but don't think I have ever heard the next generation using it grin

giulia Mon 14-Oct-19 19:29:25

MamaCaz Well, we're a couple of old fogeys then, aren't we!

GrannySomerset Mon 14-Oct-19 19:51:10

We were given a 1 pint Old Hall stainless steel teapot as a wedding present in 1962 and it has been in daily use since. It does perfectly for two (bone China) mugs. We have over the years acquired 1.5 and 2 pint versions of this wonderful design classic and they are in regular use. We also have two inherited silver pots which rarely see the light of day unless we are trying to look civilised - which we have rather given up.

These days tea bags of various flavours mean that family members’ disparate tastes can be catered for. It was much easier in the distant past when it was Typhoo or nothing!