Gransnet forums

Chat

Cant believe I've found courage to do this!

(51 Posts)
Kupari45 Sun 13-Oct-19 14:10:17

This morning I read in sunday supplement that RIVER DANCE are coming to Newcastle next April. I've always admired the dancing, music and beautiful costumes when I saw it in T.V.
So, I suggest to O.H. what about getting tickets- to which he gives the usual response (Oh I cant be doing with all that racket). So readers I had a moment of madness at 10.00am this morning. Ive gone on line and booked myself a ticket for a Matinee performance next April.
Its an hour on the train from our village to Newcastle and then I have to get myself to the Arena.
I'm so looking forward to it- I'm 75 the week before so its a present to me.
When I told O.H. what I'd done he couldnt believe it, and said but I dont want to go-to which I replied dont worry you're not going!
Perhaps this is the beginning of a more outgoing me - I do hope so.

silverlining48 Tue 15-Oct-19 16:14:09

As to husbands losing interest as they age, yes many often do.
Go Girl!

silverlining48 Tue 15-Oct-19 16:12:21

Admire your courage, well done Kupari, this could be the first of many trips out. Enjoy.

Smileless2012 Tue 15-Oct-19 16:05:04

Well done Kupari, now you've had the courage to do this on your own, who knows where it may leadsmile.

Have a great time.

Alexa Tue 15-Oct-19 16:05:01

Sorry. Kupari, I was curious and I understand grans don't want to say exactly where they live. If you had recognised the detail I described I would have known where it is. It's just that I know and love the place.

PamelaJ1 Tue 15-Oct-19 16:00:40

Kupari, I’m sure that not all men are the same but it does seem to me that they are more likely to please themselves.
Occasionally I will make O.H. go or do to things he doesn’t want to.
He doesn’t mind if I go off on my own or with friends so that’s OK. I did used to feel guilty but why should I?
I’m much more likely to say ‘ oh yes that’ll be fun” than him.

They say you only regret what you don’t do.

jenpax Tue 15-Oct-19 14:21:44

Oh Bluebell I would have loved to go to the showing of Gauguin!

Kupari45 Tue 15-Oct-19 14:13:19

Alexa, not sure where you mean. I live in a village on the coast near Bamburgh.

crazyH Tue 15-Oct-19 13:16:00

Well done Kupari.....love Riverdance!

Alexa Tue 15-Oct-19 13:12:07

Kupari well done I bet you enjoy it too!

(BTW Is your village where the church used to be where it's now across the river?)

annep1 Tue 15-Oct-19 13:01:21

Not sure Kupari45. My husband will usually go to rhings I book and enjoy them but he's not proactive. And if I didn't book I know he would cheerfully do nothing forever except go to his guitar group.

Kupari45 Tue 15-Oct-19 12:28:57

Just wanted to say thank you for your messages of encouragement. I will let you know next April how it went.
Actually just got me thinking reading your messages-do you think Men in general lose interest in going to new things as they become older?.
Love my OH very much but he has become a "stick in the mud" since he turned 70.

annep1 Mon 14-Oct-19 21:02:04

I think there are times when we dont have the same taste as our OH either tbh. My husband often goes to things with his son if U don't want to.
.But well done you! I prefer going to cinema/theatre/orchestra alone Much more relaxing. And having M.E. it means I don't have to chat to anyone and can leave if I get tired.
I also love an overnight on my own.
This could be the start of a whole new era of independence for you Kupari45. ?

Pudding123 Mon 14-Oct-19 16:49:59

Well done,I am sure you will have a great time,I know from experience it is seems like an adventure when you do these things alone but so much nicer and much less stressful than having somebody with you who will moan and generally make you wish you had gone alone anyway .Please let us know how it went

Millie22 Mon 14-Oct-19 16:40:59

I'm quite envious I'd love to see Riverdance. I hope you enjoy it.

52bright Mon 14-Oct-19 16:39:22

Well done you. I know I should take the bull by the horns and do this myself from time to time or at least make more arrangements with friends. I must admit I feel sad when dh doesn't fancy some of the things I do but I think I have been a bit lazy in not making other arrangements. After sadly losing my db earlier this year at aged 60 I realize more and more that life is short and we should all make the best of it while we can. I really admire you Kupari45 and I am going to try to do as you are doing. Enjoy smile

PamelaJ1 Mon 14-Oct-19 16:26:02

I’m impressed.
I don’t really like doing things on my own, thank goodness for sisters. Especially thank goodness for sisters with husbands who don’t like so many things.
The four of us are going to the ABBA party at the O2 in November. We will have so much fun. They can sit at home and watch the tele. ????

Marilla Mon 14-Oct-19 16:00:04

Well done Kupari! I’m really impressed that you took the bull by the horns, went ahead and booked your ticket. You must be feeling very pleased with yourself!
Our husbands may have many good qualities, but my God they can drain you of enthusiasm and energy when we get excited about wanting to do something.

sharon103 Mon 14-Oct-19 14:39:06

Good for you. Leave the moaning minnie at home and enjoy yourself. grin

Alima Mon 14-Oct-19 14:29:38

Brilliant Kupari, I am sure you will love the show. (I saw Riverdance years ago, it was wonderful). I frequently go to shows on my own now, DH not always keen.

Urmstongran Mon 14-Oct-19 14:25:06

Well, I’m staying with my aunt or a few days. She likes her main meal at lunchtime. There were 2 pieces of fresh cod in the fridge.

OMG she made some beer batter (sat on a high stool in the kitchen, Zimmer by her side). I dipped the fish in the batter, fried it using OIL IN A PROPER CHIP PAN after I’d also made a pan of home made chips!!

Wow, must be more than 10 years since I used a chip pan.

Felt quite pleased with myself - after the initial shock of what I was expected to do!

Urmstongran Sun 13-Oct-19 17:01:14

I think most of us are braver than we think.

Esther1 Sun 13-Oct-19 16:55:16

Kupari45! Well Done for just going for it. It’s can be hard to go somewhere like that on your own so be proud of yourself and above all enjoy it all - even the getting there and back.

BabyLayla Sun 13-Oct-19 16:47:35

Oh go you ? well done, I hope you have an amazing time.
I spent 20 years married occasionally voicing I’d like to visit India ( it had been a dream for many years before I married) I always got the “I don’t want to” reply, anyway when I was 55, I suddenly discovered I could be brave, so I said “ you know how I’ve always wanted to go to India” when he replied with his usual, I was ready ? and said I knew he didn’t and I totally respected his view, however I did and would be going alone. Fast forward a month and two tickets were booked what a result!
He said that he couldn’t let me go alone, incidents he loved it and we are going again next year.

SueDonim Sun 13-Oct-19 16:40:39

That's fabulous, I hope you have a wonderful time, Kupari45!

I've mentioned on the act of kindness thread that my friend's 90yo mother booked herself onto a solo trip to Las Vegas earlier this year 'Because I've never been.' She had a whale of a time, including being upgraded to First class for the flight!

Sara65 Sun 13-Oct-19 16:39:43

I’m impressed, good for you!
I think I might be a bit too cowardly to do a show on my own, so good luck, and enjoy!