Gransnet forums

Chat

Pre Xmas De-cluttering Pledge support requested

(318 Posts)
newnanny Mon 14-Oct-19 13:31:53

I am today making a pledge to throw something I don't want or need away or give to charity every single day from today until Xmas Day. I know I hoard too many thing.

Yesterday I threw away 26 folders of degree notes and teaching file notes. I have been retired two years now so do not need them anymore.

Today I have been looking in my wardrobe and found a blu ray player box that has been there for 3 years. I know it is shameful.

Will anyone join me in a pre Xmas de-clutter and try to throw something away, even if something small every day?

Grammaretto Sun 08-Dec-19 22:40:57

MissA you get the prize! I can't imagine making money on anything I don't want. Silly I know because someone else may want it.
I did mange to throw out 2 broken toys today.
I asked in Oxfam what their policy is and was told: We'll take a few books at a time but not a whole library. We'll take clothes but only things you would give to a friend.
As for old textiles: Yes they do have a place to send them but they used to have to pay for them to be collected!
And no electricals at all.
I ended up buying a diary and a birthday card. grin

MissAdventure Sun 08-Dec-19 22:55:46

I usually buy more clutter with any money I make. smile

I have one more of my big hall cupboards to clear out; I have 4, which are all big enough to walk into, so you can imagine the amount of stuff stored in them.

Joyfulnanna Sun 08-Dec-19 23:15:46

Some of my old clothes hold memories and I just can't get rid of them. I find it difficult to give things away that I've paid good money for. But I'm going to try this challenge.

Grammaretto Sun 08-Dec-19 23:37:04

15Joyfulnanna it was finding moths had eaten their way through some of my best clothes that made me realise i had to take action.
Yes you can keep treasures, carefully in sealed bags, but a thinned out wardrobe is much easier to care for.

Starblaze Sun 08-Dec-19 23:43:48

I'll try and catch up?

Hetty58 Mon 09-Dec-19 00:27:53

I always take things to charity shops at this time of year, especially kids clothes and toys. My friend had lots of kids (6) and was always broke when they were young. She used to rely on charity shop finds for most of her Christmas shopping!

Hetty58 Mon 09-Dec-19 00:37:03

Anything that's a bit too heavy to lug around (like small furniture) I just put outside with a note. Somebody always takes it. I'm quite surprised at what people will take e.g. some old pictures and a very old hallway rug!

gmarie Tue 17-Dec-19 23:08:03

Is it too late to jump aboard? I have been procrastinating about going through old boxes and bins of things belonging to my grandparents, parents, and sons. My dad just died in August and I've been pretty sad, lethargic and avoidant about getting it done.

Things have been in partial disarray for a bit. Exacerbated by 1) moving things around for painting and a carpet install prior to my son's wedding, 2) the arrival of boxes from Dad's, and 3) the invasion of my home by some unwanted insect pests which required me to empty and vacuum out all drawers and boxes, my loft is FULL of items that I need to sort, file, toss, re-box and/or return to their places.

If too late to the party, I could start a "De-Clutter For the New Year" thread. grin

MissAdventure Tue 17-Dec-19 23:14:53

We could carry this thread on until we're all clutter free and minimalist. (As if!)

I still haven't listed my Christmas twig; I'm probably too late for this year.

I came home the other day to a big bag for life on my doorstep, containing half a dinner service and some other odd bits of crockery.

My neighbours friend had bought it for me at an auction, thinking I could probably do with it!

The message was that if I didn't want it I could take it to a charity shop!
I wasn't very happy.

Grannycool52 Tue 17-Dec-19 23:21:52

MissA, re your post a few weeks ago, I'm flagging too now!

Grannycool52 Tue 17-Dec-19 23:25:54

Will try to keep going until Christmas Eve. Can't give up now!

MissAdventure Tue 17-Dec-19 23:31:48

I have rooms half painted, a bookshelf half emptied, glitter everywhere from the dreaded Christmas decs and washing drying all over the place, but I've been really busy with work, and laziness..

JackyB Tue 17-Dec-19 23:50:41

My new year's resolutions will include figuring out how to use ebay and selling off stuff that I am throwing out. As I've said before, charity shops are not a 'thing' in Germany. There are car boot type sales which they call flea markets, but they aren't so popular either any more.

It's so difficult to get rid of stuff.

Putting it out in the road with a note is probably a punishable offense and, anyway, nobody comes past our house.

So, as from 1 Jan, it will be throw one out, sell one off per day.

Yes. I've decided that's what I'll do.

MissAdventure Tue 17-Dec-19 23:53:57

That sounds like a good plan. smile

We'd better keep a thread going then, so we can chart our progress, even if we're flagging now; its understandable at this time of year.

Sara65 Wed 18-Dec-19 06:58:32

I’m afraid I started with great enthusiasm, but lugging stuff around trying to find a charity to take it, is not something I’ve got the time or enthusiasm for at this time of year.

I think in future, I’ll wait for someone to pop one of those bags through the letterbox.

threexnanny Wed 18-Dec-19 16:18:35

Too many other distractions now. I think the New Year resolution to start again is a good idea. Perhaps selling off unwanted gifts like a dinner service! No doubt there was something in the box with the plates that the friend actually wanted ?

Grammaretto Wed 18-Dec-19 17:05:32

Embarrassing today I was at a community Christmas party and discovered I had taken home the decorations, last year, for safekeeping. I searched looked in the attic but couldn't find them!
I was forgiven, but really! Have I chucked them out?
I really must go through a room at a time systematically and chuck what I don't need or can't remember why I'm keeping and label other "treasures"
Too late for this year. I sympathise ^MissA about the doorstep gift.
A neighbour is clearing out and she keeps offering stuff to the community shop. Has she seen the amount of stuff already donated! How can we keep being polite.