Gransnet forums

Chat

Pre Xmas De-cluttering Pledge support requested

(318 Posts)
newnanny Mon 14-Oct-19 13:31:53

I am today making a pledge to throw something I don't want or need away or give to charity every single day from today until Xmas Day. I know I hoard too many thing.

Yesterday I threw away 26 folders of degree notes and teaching file notes. I have been retired two years now so do not need them anymore.

Today I have been looking in my wardrobe and found a blu ray player box that has been there for 3 years. I know it is shameful.

Will anyone join me in a pre Xmas de-clutter and try to throw something away, even if something small every day?

Sara65 Tue 15-Oct-19 13:01:09

This is a good idea newnanny.

Jillybird Tue 15-Oct-19 13:03:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Juno56 Tue 15-Oct-19 21:02:31

Today's item is a pair of pink skinny jeans bought a couple of years ago because they were reduced and 'such a bargain'. Problem is that I wasn't a size 10 then or now so I have never worn them.

Patsy70 Tue 15-Oct-19 21:33:35

I volunteer at a Barnardo's shop, which is quite small, with limited space for donations, so we cannot take large donated items. However, it encourages me to offload items of clothing that I have not worn for some time. We also have a collection of 'rags', which contributes towards the charity and gives me the opportunity of dispensing of my other half's offloads!

Sar53 Tue 15-Oct-19 21:42:22

I took a bag of things to the charity shop this morning. I always have a large bag in the spare room and gradually add to it and when it's almost too heavy to carry it's gets taken to the local charity shop. I will try and add something to it each day. What a good idea.

Grammaretto Tue 15-Oct-19 23:06:42

I love the idea of noting down each time you put something out. I have a large carrier bag by the door of things to donate to charity. I haven't added to it today. I have been rather busy.

Sara65 Wed 16-Oct-19 07:47:18

I have just turned out a drawer full of user manuals for things we haven’t had for years, all paper suitable for burning in fire lighting pile, rest in recycling.

Just hope I haven’t been a bit too keen, and next week we’ll be looking for something I’ve lit the fire with!

Susan56 Wed 16-Oct-19 08:21:59

Newnanny,I’m in!A few days late so will try and sort several things today.I got a lot of sorting out done earlier in the year but then lost motivation so hopefully this will get me started again.

Ellianne Wed 16-Oct-19 10:07:25

Definitely I will join you newnanny.
Teachers are the worst, we hord things because "they might come in useful someday." I threw away all my folders and teachers' text books. Everything becomes out of date and changes so quickly. Kids would laugh at some of the old worksheets today!
I've just put a coat and a lampshade in the charity bag. Make up and toiletries next.

BlueSapphire Wed 16-Oct-19 10:08:18

I keep trying! Filled a large bag with about a dozen items of clothing last week and waiting for collection day. I also have a stack of teaching books mainly Key Stage 2 which have loads of photocopiable worksheets in. I must ring my local school and see if they will be any use. If so I shall cart them down in my trolley!

GeorgieKay Wed 16-Oct-19 10:10:27

I'm in !! I have far too much "stuff". I'm at my daughter's today on Nanny duty but tomorrow will be "declutter day" Thanks for the motivation newnanny.

Skweek1 Wed 16-Oct-19 10:11:48

I've started too. I will finish this time if I have to force my family. I hate clutter and I am certain that I can get rid of the 10 boxes I bought to fill.Mostly books, films and computer games!

essjay Wed 16-Oct-19 10:20:10

am so glad other people hoard just like me. i know when i die my daughter will just bin everything, not that it will matter to me then!! I have bags already to go to either a charity shop, xmas fayre and even the food bank, but i have so much more to sort. last year i got rid of 20 years of old paperwork relating to all sorts of things now irrelevant

Pearlsaminger Wed 16-Oct-19 10:20:11

If you have items that are too large to get rid of you could always try Preloved, Freecycle, Gumtree or Facebook marketplace to give them away free.

Plenty of people would be willing to come and take them off your hands.

I’ve just got rid of a tv unit, a perching stool, a double bed frame and a walking machine. All too big for charity shops, but have gone to people who want them.

The house feels a lot bigger already smile

JMitch Wed 16-Oct-19 10:21:04

Hi there. What a brilliant idea, and i will join in. But - huge request, please do not stop buying books, lots of people depend on us all to keep buying so that they can eat too - for example, the printer, the bookseller, the delivery person etc. By all means use a Kindle but never forget that the money has to circulate for us all to survive. Sorry to be so heavy handed, but I think we forget the basic principles of economics sometimes, which is why we have empty high streets and Amazon is thriving, without contributing to the tax bucket.

JulieMM Wed 16-Oct-19 10:37:39

I’ve got the decorators starting Monday so will HAVE to declutter .... there’s nothing like a deadline to force an issue!!

Sara65 Wed 16-Oct-19 10:52:51

JMitch

I agree, let’s never stop buying books.

MaryFinn Wed 16-Oct-19 10:54:00

I need to replace my bathroom units, so also must have a declutter. Great idea newnanny!

I have a house full of junk waiting to go somewhere!xxx

grandmaz Wed 16-Oct-19 10:57:49

I'm with Pearlsaminger...we have a FB group in this area called 'Life's a Gift'. People simply photograph and post items to gift to someone else - it's a nice way to get rid of things in small quantities.smile

Quizzer Wed 16-Oct-19 10:58:31

I am joining in. Already have a large bag of good clothes to go to the charity shop. Next on the list are the kitchen cupboards which must be done before they are 'renovated' next month. Do I really need 9 casserole dishes!!

essjay Wed 16-Oct-19 10:58:58

totally agree about books, have a spare bedroom full of books. and yes freecycle etc is a great place to get rid of things and as the person collects saves you having to take it to be disposed of

jenni123 Wed 16-Oct-19 11:05:08

I need to do this, I will start with the book case, i love reading and tend to hoard books. As i am disabled I have to get the charity to come collect as I can't get to the shop, so while I won't be able to take things daily I will sort them daily then get charity to collect when I have enough for it to be worth their while. i know I have many clothes that can also go. really must make a start.

Mealybug Wed 16-Oct-19 11:10:20

I'm in, only said this yesterday to my daughter so I've got the black bags ready to make a start.

Hymnbook Wed 16-Oct-19 11:12:30

I've definitely got to declutter. I am thinking of moving into a flat that has no storage . Am l mad to do this.

goldengirl Wed 16-Oct-19 11:15:29

Oh newnanny you are brave. I'm in the throes of clothes sorting but when it comes to 'historical' degree notes etc I can't do it - just in case I need them in the future!! Mad, I know because since those days the subject matter has probably been updated umpteen times. You've given me food for thought but am I brave enough to follow your example - and then there's the spiders in the cupboard to contend with!