Gransnet forums

Chat

Pre Xmas De-cluttering Pledge support requested

(318 Posts)
newnanny Mon 14-Oct-19 13:31:53

I am today making a pledge to throw something I don't want or need away or give to charity every single day from today until Xmas Day. I know I hoard too many thing.

Yesterday I threw away 26 folders of degree notes and teaching file notes. I have been retired two years now so do not need them anymore.

Today I have been looking in my wardrobe and found a blu ray player box that has been there for 3 years. I know it is shameful.

Will anyone join me in a pre Xmas de-clutter and try to throw something away, even if something small every day?

Sara65 Thu 05-Dec-19 08:00:10

I’m afraid I’m giving up now, I trailed around town yesterday with two big bags of assorted stuff, all good condition, some never used. I had to go to four charity shops before I found one accepting donations .

What’s that all about for goodness sake?

Nana05 Thu 05-Dec-19 07:36:37

Yes I try to declutter once a year, this years mission has been books, 6 carrier bags full taken to the local book bank. If I don’t get rid of it now my kids will throw it all in the skip when I’m no longer here!

MissAdventure Mon 02-Dec-19 21:46:32

That's the messy drawer sorted and organised.
It's meant that the medications on top of the fridge have been cleared away into the drawer now. smile

Grammaretto Mon 02-Dec-19 18:28:45

I went through some of the toys in the attic today with 4yr old in tow. It's amazing what we uncovered. I will get shot of some jigsaws with missing pieces but we found things she and her sister played happily with for an hour. Things I had forgotten we had.

MissAdventure Mon 02-Dec-19 18:05:34

Oops! Potions not portions!

MissAdventure Mon 02-Dec-19 18:04:55

Still got my carrier bags full in my living room.
I will get them to a charity shop before Christmas!

I have my eye on a small drawer in my kitchen which is packed full of pills, tablets and portions.

I really need to sort that out, so its next on my list.

threexnanny Mon 02-Dec-19 17:29:11

I'm now trying to do the hardest bit - parting with some of my craft stuff.
I still do plenty of crafts but I'd need at least another lifetime to get through all I've got!

SueH49 Thu 28-Nov-19 08:50:33

What memories this pledge has invoked.

Decided to target the top of my wardrobe to find items to keep my pledge.
Among them I found a bag which had some knitted and crocheted baby shawls and an outfit that I bought DS2 as a newborn for his cousins christening. DS2 turns 41 in a couple of months. Clearly this bag of goodies has been in the top of my wardrobe since we moved into this house 39 years ago! Time to send them on their way me thinks.

MissAdventure Tue 26-Nov-19 20:15:58

A day out for a meet up sounds much better than decluttering.

Weight training sounds about right. I think they should introduce an Olympic event of carrying bags of clutter.

I swore the bags were going straight in the bin if I actually made it home.

Grammaretto Tue 26-Nov-19 18:10:00

Who knew! MissA some people would call it weight training. It doubles as exercise.
I was at a GN meetup today so didn't manage to shed clutter.

MissAdventure Tue 26-Nov-19 17:51:43

I took two (heavy!) carrier bags of stuff to work with me this morning, intending to drop it into charity shop on my way home.

I then got called and asked to go on to work somewhere else straight after, so ended up lugging the carrier bags with me as I didn't have time to stop off.

So, my clutter has had a lovely day out, my arms have been pulled nearly out of their sockets, and the bags are back here, cluttering up my living room again.

threexnanny Tue 26-Nov-19 13:47:47

I'm finding this is going in fits and starts. Some days I don't feel inspired and then I may find several to go at once.
Just re homed (ie passed to GC) two knitted scarves. Thrown out a torn Christmas gift bag and yet more magazines.

GeorgieKay Tue 26-Nov-19 10:14:26

Two bags to the Salvation Army yesterday plus another bag sorted for the charity shop. On Nanny duty for the next two days but will be back on it (decluttering) on Thursday.

MissAdventure Tue 26-Nov-19 00:12:49

Oh, I'm so glad you mentioned that.
I have a festive twig (not as bad as it sounds, honestly!) to go.

I should put it on eBay in the next couple of days.

lilypollen Tue 26-Nov-19 00:01:53

I've just gone through old Christmas decorations and have a bag for a charity shop. I wait till November as I don't think they want to store them if they receive them earlier.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Nov-19 23:51:37

I think there is an app you can get where you input your ingredients, and it will come up with a recipe for them.

It depends if you can muster up the inclination.

Grammaretto Mon 25-Nov-19 23:30:31

Somebody, not me, has carefully put all our end of packet pasta, sesame seeds, rice, raisins etc into jamjars and put them into crates where they have stayed for 6 months while our kitchen cupboards were getting repaired.
I had forgotten about them and opened new packets.
Do I now bin the lot? Or create some strange soup?

MissAdventure Mon 25-Nov-19 22:42:35

I have thrown out 2 tubes of ingrown hair prevention cream. Having never had an ingrown hair, it seemed a wise move.

Also added a gold pot thing to the carrier bags.

Grammaretto Mon 25-Nov-19 22:30:56

Cheating I know but I did remember to put the bottles out for recycling today.
I have a few things ready to go out in a bag by the door.
How are you getting on?

MissAdventure Sun 24-Nov-19 23:29:00

I don't think me moving plants out of the living room and into the bathroom counts, either.

Juno56 Sun 24-Nov-19 23:03:48

A pair of broken nutcrackers in the bin. I will need to replace them before Christmas though so I suppose it doesn't really count ?.

Grammaretto Sun 24-Nov-19 22:50:26

super well done Grannycool52 !!
ours is not any clearer.
It's a bit like trying to stick to a diet......

MissAdventure Sun 24-Nov-19 21:42:47

Well done, grannycool smile

Any tips for those of us who are flagging?

Grannycool52 Sun 24-Nov-19 20:29:16

Well, I am still persisting. Loft is nearly empty, apart from suitcases and Christmas decorations. Various drawers & bookcases are getting more spacious by the day! This is very satisfying ?

MissAdventure Sun 24-Nov-19 17:36:14

Well, its nice to think of your mums curtains being hung up and admired by someone who really loves them.
Hopefully, in a cosy family home, keeping the warm in, and the draughts out.