Gransnet forums

Chat

Pre Xmas De-cluttering Pledge support requested

(317 Posts)
Grammaretto Mon 14-Oct-19 16:48:59

I'm definitely up for the challenge. I have disposed of a too big bookcase but unfortunately the books are still all over the floor so I have now bought, from the charity shop, a smaller bookcase which will be delivered on Wednesday.
It won't hold all the books so there will need to be a serious cull.
Then there's clothes and linen. It can be difficult to know which pile to put things in. Charity, textile recycle or posssibly ebay? or compost!

newnanny Mon 14-Oct-19 16:45:47

Auntieflo excellent idea, I will look through my baking tins, I had not even thought about those. I am sure I shall find a few either a bit rusty or never used.

Lazigirl Mon 14-Oct-19 16:33:42

Good idea newnanny.

If I start today that's 71 items by Christmas Eve, I think. Have been procrastinating for a while. Moved to a new house 10 years ago and got rid of mounds of stuff then, but it's gradually crept up again, mainly books and clothing.

I love the feeling when I clear some clutter.

Liz46 Mon 14-Oct-19 16:16:23

I'll try. I emptied out my wardrobe yesterday and had a good sort out but am too exhausted today to carry on. Maybe tomorrow?

ninathenana Mon 14-Oct-19 16:02:17

I saw something on FB today suggesting people make up a "reverse" advent calendar.
Every day from 1st December you add a small gift to the box for a homeless person i.e. new toothbrush, soap, woollen gloves.
I intend doing this, and will probably find a few items in drawers and cupboards.

Auntieflo Mon 14-Oct-19 16:00:34

I will try .
Today I made a start, by not buying a cake tin. (From Emma Bridgewater) lovely but expensive. So saved a bit as well.
I often make a cake in a loaf tin, and haven't got one that suits.
Or at least , I thought I hadn't, so dug out one that had just got filled with odds and ends, decanted those into a couple of plastic boxes, while they await thinning out.
The cupboards, drawers, will have to wait until my back feels up to it.

Juno56 Mon 14-Oct-19 15:03:07

I will join you newnanny. I have sorted out some CDs and books to go to the charity shop today. I will report back tomorrow.

tanith Mon 14-Oct-19 15:01:54

I’ve been meaning to sort out all the stuff in my kitchen, I don’t need steak plates, a whole set of white plates and dishes, various glass bowls etc I’m sure half of what I have can go to the charity shop.

Greenfinch Mon 14-Oct-19 14:52:22

I will join you.Today I got rid of some board games that haven't been played with for years and tomorrow I am going to sort through my baking tins some of which I am sure will be a bit rusty as they haven't seen the light of day for some time.

sf101 Mon 14-Oct-19 14:45:01

I love clearing out stuff, just got rid of an old double bed that had 4 drawers of stuff, most of which has been given away. I find having a good old clear out very therapeutic.

gt66 Mon 14-Oct-19 14:30:19

Yes I've already made a start. Got far too much 'stuff' and worry about leaving it all for someone else to sort through, if I were to pop off in the near future!!

I sent lots of clothes to a local jumble sale at the weekend and now sorting through the rest, to either sell on ebay or take to the charity shop. Going to try as hard as I can not to throw anything away, but realise somethings are past their best and no good to anybody.

KatyK Mon 14-Oct-19 14:09:03

I've just taken a handbag and some boots to the charity shop, so I've made an effort. Both were in good condition.

newnanny Mon 14-Oct-19 13:50:40

Yes, it is just crazy the things we keep just in case.

glammanana Mon 14-Oct-19 13:47:13

I will certainly try my hardest newnanny this morning I through out an old bath mat after changing my bathroom colours 12 mths ago so there is a good start.

newnanny Mon 14-Oct-19 13:42:53

Oh good, the more the merrier. I know I hold on to things for far to long and it makes so much dusting. I have literally hundreds of books and I am getting started on sorting out the ones I have read that can go to charity shops. I am going to take them 6 at a time as heavy to carry. I am only going to buy books for Kindle in future.

Sara65 Mon 14-Oct-19 13:37:57

Okay newnanny, I’m with you.

Have to wait till I get home though, to see what I can part with.

newnanny Mon 14-Oct-19 13:31:53

I am today making a pledge to throw something I don't want or need away or give to charity every single day from today until Xmas Day. I know I hoard too many thing.

Yesterday I threw away 26 folders of degree notes and teaching file notes. I have been retired two years now so do not need them anymore.

Today I have been looking in my wardrobe and found a blu ray player box that has been there for 3 years. I know it is shameful.

Will anyone join me in a pre Xmas de-clutter and try to throw something away, even if something small every day?