Gransnet forums

Chat

what wouldnt you wear?

(109 Posts)
petunia Wed 16-Oct-19 11:35:25

Is there anything you wouldn't wear-for any reason?

I'll give you my example.

I recently spotted a lovely, cosy padded jacket in a gorgeous purple velvet. They had my size. Should I or shouldn't I? Could I justify adding it to my wardrobe? Where would I wear it? These thoughts rushed through my head but I dismissed them all. I loved the colour, it was warm and super cosy. Its felt divine. I took out my bank card, went to complete the purchase.

Then the thought hit me. If I wore this jacket, (I'm fairly well endowed in the bosom department by the way) I would look like a blueberry on legs. So I didn't buy the jacket.

MissAdventure Wed 23-Oct-19 20:39:21

Well, years ago a lady I looked after always complimented me on my trim ankles. (She never commented about the rest of me!)

So I feel I ought to show off what is apparently an asset. smile

Winniewit Wed 23-Oct-19 12:30:25

I wouldn't wear those ankle length trousers.. Honestly what is the point of them.

MissAdventure Wed 23-Oct-19 00:07:42

smile
Wayward legs.

callgirl1 Tue 22-Oct-19 23:31:45

Sorry, I missed the replies regarding tights. My problem is that I just can`t put them on anymore, my legs won`t bend in the right direction. I`d have the same problem with leggings, in fact, I can only just about get trousers on after a struggle. I can see problems with knickers before much longer, lol!

Marmight Mon 21-Oct-19 17:00:01

I often wear a fleece. I’m not a man nor a mountaineer hmm

newnanny Mon 21-Oct-19 12:29:27

I wear a thick fleece for walking the dogs in the winter around the lake.

Lilyflower Sun 20-Oct-19 22:21:40

Fleece. No one should ever wear fleece unless they are male and climbing a mountain.

granof14 Sat 19-Oct-19 11:54:57

I would just be happy to get something to fit me. Being a size 4 and 71 years old teenage clothes may fit but talk about mutton as lamb!

twiglet77 Fri 18-Oct-19 22:43:44

Make up
High heels (low wedges perhaps)
Jumpsuits / onesies
Cold shoulder tops
Anything button-through (except my work uniform, no choice)
Thongs
Underwired bras
Gladiator sandals

Hetty58 Fri 18-Oct-19 20:28:26

callgirl1, there's really no difference between thick tights and leggings (apart from the missing feet and need for socks) so if you're wearing boots in the winter then try them. I love the M&S thin silky thermal leggings (supposed to be underwear) and often wear them under dresses. Again, they look like tights - but much easier to get on and off!

Nanna58 Fri 18-Oct-19 19:50:08

Animal fur , and a bustier, other than that- bring it on!!!

Mildred22 Fri 18-Oct-19 17:55:30

I had a sight test yesterday and it was torture. After having a photo taken which involved an extremely bright flash in both eyes which I did not like, a glaucoma test which I did not mind, the optician said that it was standard procedure to shine a white light in each eye which would take ten minutes altogether. I cannot bear bright lights shining in my eyes and kept blinking so he had to pull my eyelid up while I had to look down. I broke out in a sweat and I could not continue with the examination. I had my two children without pain killers so can withstand pain but this machine is a medieval torture device. I asked the optician if he could just look at my eyes using a little torch thing as opticians have done in the past, I have had my eyes tested many times this way. His reply was that it is a legal requirement to check for any problems and that 75 percent of the test is looking for such problems and 25 percent testing for spectacles. I know it is better to be safe than sorry with eyesight but wouldn’t you think that there would be a more humane way of examining eyes? I know that I will have to make another appointment but next time it will be with an optician who can check in the traditional way - that is if there are any left!

Forestflame Fri 18-Oct-19 10:44:37

Evie and Petunia you are spot on.

Shropshirelass Fri 18-Oct-19 08:34:46

I live in a small market town and last week saw a female (I think!) walking through the town. Heads were turning and laughter rippled through the town, this person was tall and fairly big, not fat, wearing a short tight leather skirt, high heeled studded boots with gold heels and a short leather jacket. My description falls short of the spectacle. Age I would say very late sixties. The poor man with this person was smaller wearing a shabby jacket and denim jeans that had seen better days. Still not sure if it was in drag, but they had some guts. I think I am quite conservative, thank goodness!

Phoebes Fri 18-Oct-19 07:48:36

I have just bought a short pale pink denim jacket to wear over summer dresses and it looks great. I wouldn’t wear a mini-skirt any more, not up to my bottom like I used to, and I try to avoid sleeveless if possible, but otherwise, anything goes! I just wear what suits me.

petunia Fri 18-Oct-19 07:12:01

Evie64 how right you are. We have put ourselves down a bit.

We are gorgeous, bright, funny, smart women. So what if we are shorter, fatter, more wrinkly than we would want. We are here, on this errrr dismal Friday. Life is out there waiting for us to grab it with both hands.

And actually, other people either don't see our flaws quite as clearly as we do or choose not the see them. Lets enjoy being us.

You still wouldn't catch me in a crop top though...!

Baloothefitz Fri 18-Oct-19 01:47:00

What lovely things to say Evie64 ...

MissAdventure Thu 17-Oct-19 22:33:43

Oh I love parkas! I think everyone looks nice in one.

grannybuy Thu 17-Oct-19 22:28:12

Also, parkas with fur round the hood.

grannybuy Thu 17-Oct-19 22:24:14

Leggings, unless for a sporting activity, or, as opposed to tights, with a full length garment on top.

gmarie Thu 17-Oct-19 22:14:56

Animal fur and thongs. No relation to one-another, obviously grin, but neither one - ever!

Scribbles Thu 17-Oct-19 22:00:25

I wouldn't wear anything that shows my knees or my midriff; a corset; anything with bows on; floral prints; a dress with a waist; too-short trousers.

Alexa Thu 17-Oct-19 20:42:03

Callgirl:
"Any advice about possible alternatives to tights, I can`t put them on anymore, but don`t feel dressed up on special occasions with bare legs."

Long skirts and bare legs? Long skirts and footless tights?

Blondiescot Thu 17-Oct-19 20:34:48

Callgirl1, I am with you on the arm front! I am short and fat, but my arms are just horrendous. Sleeveless anything is a no-no for me. On the tights front, have you looked at Snag Tights? They make tights in various shapes and sizes to suit all sorts - and in a really wide range of colours, even fishnets!

H1954 Thu 17-Oct-19 19:48:42

Crimplene, cable knit cardigans/sweaters, fur (even fake), PVC, pleated skirts, sheepskin gloves, anything old fashioned and fuddy duddy that my OH picks out in the shop, polyester large print skirts with matching tops, elastic waist trousers and skirts..................OMG I'm loving this ???