Gransnet forums

Chat

Clearing out cupboards and drawers

(34 Posts)
fizzers Sat 19-Oct-19 14:09:09

Over the past couple of days I've been clearing out drawers and cupboards...

So far I've found 6 rolls of Christmas wrapping paper, countless Christmas gift bags of varying sizes, packets of gift tags and labels, about 6 packs of Christmas cards and a bag containing family Christams cards.

I also found numerous birthday cards that I have bought in and put in a safe place. I found Christmas presents that I bought in the sales, am sorted for this Christmas, card and wrapping wise.

Unfortunately I did not find a stash of money....

MollyPolly60 Fri 25-Oct-19 00:09:33

When my husband retired we had to move countries to come back to the U.K. I found bags of money from different countries we had visited over the years in a drawer where I must have put them.

I took them all to a currency exchange shop and came out with nearly £500!

Daisymae Wed 23-Oct-19 18:31:03

I keep all Christmas wrapping paper together in a oblong plastic box, designed for the purpose, about the length of a roll. Everything is kept in good condition and all together when I start, together with scissors, tape etc. etc.

Liz46 Wed 23-Oct-19 16:28:40

When I volunteered in a charity shop we were told to check books for hidden money. A friend of mine hides money in her books but I don't think this is a very good idea.

grannyticktock Wed 23-Oct-19 16:19:22

I can't believe how much cash you all seem to be hoarding or finding - this must be a big help with Christmas coming! It does make me wonder, though, how much money is lost to its rightful owners and kept by people who have no entitlement to it (but may not know where to return it to). I do keep a little stash, maybe £50 - £100, hidden away, but I have told my two daughters where it is, so that if I die or lose my marbles, they won't accidentally get rid of the item in which the cash is hidden.

We were once out for a walk with the family, on a footpath a mile or so from a town. My granddaughter, running ahead, found a pile of notes -I think it was about £80 - just lying by the side of the path. There was no one in sight, so we took the money to the police station (setting a good example to the kids!). It was never claimed, so it was returned to the family, who had a day out at an adventure park with it.

Winniewit Wed 23-Oct-19 12:39:23

The old lady who lived next door decided to declutter and gave a pile of sheets to a neighbour. Sandwiched inbetween the sheets the neighbour found £400

Grannyguitar Mon 21-Oct-19 10:36:12

My husband fished his 'best' jacket out to wear. There was no money in the pockets, but he found two AfterEight mints slightly glued together. Hasn't worn the jacket for at least two years, so we didn't bother to eat them!

Witzend Mon 21-Oct-19 10:00:41

Ha, annodomini, I once found 3 lots of oven cleaner in the cupboard. I will spare you the state of my oven at the time ?

susani2dly Sun 20-Oct-19 20:36:56

25 years ago, my widowed mother died. Clearing out her flat, amongst so many things, were her books. Out of one slipped some hand written sheets of paper. A letter from my father who was in London, to my mother who had been evacuated with my twin brothers who were very young and were living in Barnstaple, northDevon. People and children were starting to return to London and there was chaos at railway stations. My father was pleading with her to stay put because rumour had it that there was worse to come and she and the boys were safer staying where they, were in a house on Sticklepath Hill in Barnstaple. I was yet to make an appearance in this world but my two brothers treasured this reminder of their early life.

annodomini Sun 20-Oct-19 19:14:26

I've been having a go at the dreaded cupboard under the sink. I have found loads of different cleaning products, all for the same purpose- and mostly unused blush. On the other hand I have found things I thought I had lost - three vacuum flasks, a set of funnels and two unopened packs of sponges. Well, that was the bottom shelf, now for the top one. sad

Grannycool52 Sun 20-Oct-19 18:23:25

Went up to the loft today to check what C.mas supplies were there. Found rolls of C. paper + packs of labels left from last year. Did some decluttering while there, so now rewarding myself with a nice pot of tea ?

Eva2 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:39:38

Im on a decluttering spree, room by room, its exhausting but lm loving it. So does the local charity store.

GreenGran78 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:31:39

I went to get out my passport, as I was applying for a visa for my upcoming visit for my daughter's wedding in Australia. Tucked inside was almost £300 in Aussie dollars, which I had completely forgotten about. Left over from my last visit.

A very welcome bonus, as I will be making a second trip over in May for the birth of my youngest son's first baby. I also found a tenner in an old jacket pocket the other day!

Urmstongran Sun 20-Oct-19 14:07:15

Hahaha! Maw good one.
?
A friend of mine who is comfortably well off saves fivers all year towards Christmas.
?
No wonder they’re hard come by round here!

Foxyferret Sun 20-Oct-19 13:50:12

Zips

Foxyferret Sun 20-Oct-19 13:49:54

My mother gave me some old handbags and purses to give to charity. Sorting through all the little sips and pockets, I found £440 and a note saying “bills money”. When I phoned and told her she said “ I did wonder where I had put that and why my bills money was short”. I paid the money into her bank account online and kept the cash. Good job I looked, I know she donates to various charities but this was a bit much in her circumstances.

MawB Sun 20-Oct-19 13:25:11

glamamamma good thing you never switched it on!
Gives a whole new meaning to “crock (pot) of gold” ! grin

allule Sun 20-Oct-19 13:21:15

I can't throw away keys. Always find a few when I turn out drawers with no idea what they are for, but just have to put them back...'in case'

Baloothefitz Sun 20-Oct-19 12:46:57

Oooooo Calendargirl ..Bunty annuals & Petticoat magazines what a blissful afternoon that sounds like !

glammanana Sun 20-Oct-19 12:21:49

A couple of years ago I started saving 50p pieces towards xmas presents in about February I saved £220 and I bagged it up to go to the bank for safe keeping I put it in my slow cooker and forgot all about it I found it in January this year too late for presents but handy to go towards my holiday deposit.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 20-Oct-19 12:07:37

Stopped looking, never found any money, when all I did was chastise myself for hoarding things I will never use then go off and make myself a pot of coffee and eat far too many chocolate biscuits.

Davida1968 Sun 20-Oct-19 11:56:43

I once found £100 in my knicker drawer! DH & I had been overseas (seeing DS & family for a couple of months) and I'd forgotten completely about the cash. (Left for our return home -"just in case" - and also so that if we were burgled, the thief would take this then leave.) We'd had so much excitement and activity with the family, that my brain was full and I'd forgotten all about the cash.....

notgoneyet Sun 20-Oct-19 11:43:12

Made you smile newnanny? I would have been jumping up and down with joy (well, if I still could!!). Having said that, I did find £40 in a drawer yesterday - no idea when or why I put it there, but came in very handy.....

Calendargirl Sun 20-Oct-19 11:22:32

Trouble with sorting stuff, especially in the loft, get distracted by my old Bunty annuals, Petticoat magazines and the like. Have to stop and have a browse. I know I should be outing them, but only have to open a page and instantly transported back to being seven years old (Bunty) or my teenage years (Petticoat). The years slip away to simpler times.

?

newnanny Sun 20-Oct-19 10:34:17

Last year I found 800 euro in a handbag i tend to take on holiday as has a good zip section. They must have been left from previous holiday and not been put in safe. Made me smile.smile

fizzers Sat 19-Oct-19 18:17:08

I once found a tenner in my coat pocket, but these days all I find in my bags and pockets are loose change