Gransnet forums

Chat

Clearing out cupboards and drawers

(33 Posts)
fizzers Sat 19-Oct-19 14:09:09

Over the past couple of days I've been clearing out drawers and cupboards...

So far I've found 6 rolls of Christmas wrapping paper, countless Christmas gift bags of varying sizes, packets of gift tags and labels, about 6 packs of Christmas cards and a bag containing family Christams cards.

I also found numerous birthday cards that I have bought in and put in a safe place. I found Christmas presents that I bought in the sales, am sorted for this Christmas, card and wrapping wise.

Unfortunately I did not find a stash of money....

LondonGranny Sat 19-Oct-19 14:15:38

Pockets, fizzers, pockets. Yesterday I found a twenty quid note in the inside zip pocket of a jacket I haven't worn for a while.

morethan2 Sat 19-Oct-19 14:52:40

Me too fizzers some of it made me feel a bit nostalgic. I found a card from my dad who’s been dead six years. Recipes that I’ve used for most of my past Christmas’s but probably won’t need again. On the up side I’ll save a fortune on Christmas cards,bags and cards. That’s if I can remember were I’ve put them.

Grannycool52 Sat 19-Oct-19 15:12:11

As Londongranny writes, it's amazing what money turns up in pockets - and also handbags and sports bags! Following another Gransnet thread about decluttering an item a day until Christmas, I've been going through the wardrobes and have found several 20 + 10 Euro notes ☺️.

Grannycool52 Sat 19-Oct-19 15:15:23

Now, I must go to the loft and see what C.paper + cards I can discover!

Beechnut Sat 19-Oct-19 17:36:02

I was happy the day I was looking in the sideboard and found £80 in a cup.

EllanVannin Sat 19-Oct-19 18:06:31

I remember finding £750 stashed at the back of a filing cabinet drawer after my husband had died. I wouldn't have known only I was giving it away so cleaning it of dust and debris first. I often wondered what it was for, if anything or had it just been forgotten about.
No such find in my drawers sad Only a wallet of foreign banknotes.

goldengirl Sat 19-Oct-19 18:14:35

I admire you all. I want to sort out old toys and my some drawers but I've yet to get around to it there are so many other more interesting things to do - that's my excuse! hmm

fizzers Sat 19-Oct-19 18:17:08

I once found a tenner in my coat pocket, but these days all I find in my bags and pockets are loose change

newnanny Sun 20-Oct-19 10:34:17

Last year I found 800 euro in a handbag i tend to take on holiday as has a good zip section. They must have been left from previous holiday and not been put in safe. Made me smile.smile

Calendargirl Sun 20-Oct-19 11:22:32

Trouble with sorting stuff, especially in the loft, get distracted by my old Bunty annuals, Petticoat magazines and the like. Have to stop and have a browse. I know I should be outing them, but only have to open a page and instantly transported back to being seven years old (Bunty) or my teenage years (Petticoat). The years slip away to simpler times.

?

notgoneyet Sun 20-Oct-19 11:43:12

Made you smile newnanny? I would have been jumping up and down with joy (well, if I still could!!). Having said that, I did find £40 in a drawer yesterday - no idea when or why I put it there, but came in very handy.....

Davida1968 Sun 20-Oct-19 11:56:43

I once found £100 in my knicker drawer! DH & I had been overseas (seeing DS & family for a couple of months) and I'd forgotten completely about the cash. (Left for our return home -"just in case" - and also so that if we were burgled, the thief would take this then leave.) We'd had so much excitement and activity with the family, that my brain was full and I'd forgotten all about the cash.....

sarahellenwhitney Sun 20-Oct-19 12:07:37

Stopped looking, never found any money, when all I did was chastise myself for hoarding things I will never use then go off and make myself a pot of coffee and eat far too many chocolate biscuits.

glammanana Sun 20-Oct-19 12:21:49

A couple of years ago I started saving 50p pieces towards xmas presents in about February I saved £220 and I bagged it up to go to the bank for safe keeping I put it in my slow cooker and forgot all about it I found it in January this year too late for presents but handy to go towards my holiday deposit.

Baloothefitz Sun 20-Oct-19 12:46:57

Oooooo Calendargirl ..Bunty annuals & Petticoat magazines what a blissful afternoon that sounds like !

allule Sun 20-Oct-19 13:21:15

I can't throw away keys. Always find a few when I turn out drawers with no idea what they are for, but just have to put them back...'in case'

MawB Sun 20-Oct-19 13:25:11

glamamamma good thing you never switched it on!
Gives a whole new meaning to “crock (pot) of gold” ! grin

Foxyferret Sun 20-Oct-19 13:49:54

My mother gave me some old handbags and purses to give to charity. Sorting through all the little sips and pockets, I found £440 and a note saying “bills money”. When I phoned and told her she said “ I did wonder where I had put that and why my bills money was short”. I paid the money into her bank account online and kept the cash. Good job I looked, I know she donates to various charities but this was a bit much in her circumstances.

Foxyferret Sun 20-Oct-19 13:50:12

Zips

Urmstongran Sun 20-Oct-19 14:07:15

Hahaha! Maw good one.
?
A friend of mine who is comfortably well off saves fivers all year towards Christmas.
?
No wonder they’re hard come by round here!

GreenGran78 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:31:39

I went to get out my passport, as I was applying for a visa for my upcoming visit for my daughter's wedding in Australia. Tucked inside was almost £300 in Aussie dollars, which I had completely forgotten about. Left over from my last visit.

A very welcome bonus, as I will be making a second trip over in May for the birth of my youngest son's first baby. I also found a tenner in an old jacket pocket the other day!

Eva2 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:39:38

Im on a decluttering spree, room by room, its exhausting but lm loving it. So does the local charity store.

Grannycool52 Sun 20-Oct-19 18:23:25

Went up to the loft today to check what C.mas supplies were there. Found rolls of C. paper + packs of labels left from last year. Did some decluttering while there, so now rewarding myself with a nice pot of tea ?

annodomini Sun 20-Oct-19 19:14:26

I've been having a go at the dreaded cupboard under the sink. I have found loads of different cleaning products, all for the same purpose- and mostly unused blush. On the other hand I have found things I thought I had lost - three vacuum flasks, a set of funnels and two unopened packs of sponges. Well, that was the bottom shelf, now for the top one. sad