Gransnet forums

Chat

Two eco-surprises at the shops today

(61 Posts)
Witzend Mon 21-Oct-19 12:58:46

Was running out of stuffing for sundry Christmas things I'm making. Last lot of stuffing was 100% polyester from John Lewis.
They no longer have it - instead it's 100% biodegradable wool.

Thence to Sainsbury's for a few bits. From next week they will no longer supply single use plastic bags for loose fruit and veg. You can buy reusable ones at 30p a pop - or bring your own.
Would seem that retailers are really getting on board now.

Amagran Tue 22-Oct-19 10:55:22

Well, it's not what I stuff my turkey with OP, but I could give it a try! grin

Humbertbear Tue 22-Oct-19 10:58:47

Everything we are doing here pales into significance if you go shopping in Colorado where every purchase, no matter how small, comes in a plastic carrier bag

polnan Tue 22-Oct-19 11:02:37

so many funny posts here, funny ha! ha! I mean

huh to supermarkets ditching free plastic bags,,, what about the plastic they use for veggies, meat etc.... duh!!

and yes, little bits,, it`s a start,, but a long, long, way to go yet..
lets keep on keeping on

lol I too thought sage and onion stuffing at the beginning

Caro57 Tue 22-Oct-19 11:02:51

I’ve dismantled polyester pillows for their stuffing - recycling if nothing else!

Fairiesfolly Tue 22-Oct-19 11:10:03

Caro57 I do that too, great for stuffing knitted toys! I also dismantle anything useful from an item before I recycle in case I should need anything. Nice buttons on a garment for instance that could be reused.

Pittcity Tue 22-Oct-19 11:16:44

I agree with Humbertbear.
We bought about 20 items recently in a US supermarket and the cashier packed them in at least 15 plastic carrier bags. My US host unpacked and threw the bags into the general rubbish. I told her I would've used them as bin liners and she opened a large drawer full of bought liners of all sizes.
The UK efforts need to be matched by the rest of the world.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 22-Oct-19 11:29:10

Lack of bags is a good thing as not all people dispose of them responsibly which I frequently find when taking walks on a local beach.I prefer to large shop rather than bits here and there so find cardboard boxes shops leave out for us are ideal to be put in a trolley ready to take out to the car park. These boxes last a long time and eco friendly.

Sashabel Tue 22-Oct-19 11:48:03

Some of the worst offenders are the large bakeries. I have started buying Warburtons white sliced bread because it is the only one that does not come in a plastic bag. I much prefer brown bread, but need ready sliced loaves because I cannot slice a loaf to save my life. I have tried going to the bakery section and getting them to slice it for me but it doesn't last as long and even then they put it in a plastic bag! Very frustrating

Paperbackwriter Tue 22-Oct-19 11:49:34

pinkquartz Why not get several of those fabric bags that fold up into their own teeny bags? They sell masses of them on a rack at our local garden centre and many other places too. I always have one in my handbag. If you want to send others out shopping, just hand them one of those. None of us really need any plastic ones now. Also, remember string bags? They've made a come-back too. Not expensive and thoroughly re-usable.

Gilly1952 Tue 22-Oct-19 11:50:48

I love the paper bags with little handles that Fat Face offer you when you buy from them! They are free and I always keep them and try to re-use. Why don’t more shops do this? Not only are the bags an advert for their shop, they are much more “eco friendly”. I am sure that when I was a child (many years ago!!) all of our food shopping used to be put into paper bags. Didn’t sugar used to be sold in thick blue paper bags?

Witzend Tue 22-Oct-19 11:57:30

Actually I checked the JL website and they do still have the polyester toy stuffing online.
Haven't used the wool version yet, but I'm having a mammoth sewing-up-and-stuffing session today, so will see how it compares.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 22-Oct-19 12:03:02

I bought a couple of the Sainsburys reuseable bags, small drawstring mesh bags for fruit and veg. Haven't actually used them yet because I just put loose veg into my main shopping bag.
You could make your own from a pair of charity shop net curtains, you'd get quite a few bags from one pair.
I too find the old carrier bags useful for all sorts of things, but am running out.
Thinking cap on.

Mollygo Tue 22-Oct-19 12:25:11

Just make sure you weigh your veg loose first. Even the smallest bag adds to what you’re paying for. To be fair Sainsbury's now have a sign that says weigh them loose before bagging. I remember lots of publicity about saving the rainforests by not using paper . . .

ladymuck Tue 22-Oct-19 12:33:06

I have been getting my groceries delivered by Sainsburys for some time now. However, I shall now have to stop as their new policy of 'no bags', will make it too inconvenient. The drivers are only given a short time for each delivery and they will now be expected to empty the boxes as well as deliver them. It will be too much hassle. I suggested that each customer should 'rent' a box which would then be returned at each delivery, which the driver I spoke to said was a good idea, but they are not acting on it.

Hazeld Tue 22-Oct-19 12:39:02

So did I BlueBelle grin

grandtanteJE65 Tue 22-Oct-19 12:53:43

I buy or sew cloth bags, or buy one of the good quality reusable carrier bags that Aldi, Lidl etc. sell. If I am on my cargo bike I always have two giant shoppers and a folding basket with me, if I walk I take a rucksack and a cloth carrier bag with me.

Remember what our mothers did when we were children?

If you can't carry things, a good shopping bag on wheels is the answer.

felice Tue 22-Oct-19 13:24:42

An Eco shop has just opened in our street, DGs and I had a wander round on Saturday. I was amazed at all the plastic, all the toiletries, cleaning stuff and quite a lot of items such as Honey and spreads all in plastic containers. The f ruit and veg was dodgy to say the least, wrinkled peppers and very limp lettuces.
The prices made my eyes water, we have a corner shop opposite and they are much more Eco friendly and a lot cheaper. From 1933 and still in the same family, guess where I will be shopping?

mermaid66 Tue 22-Oct-19 14:07:36

I bought sainsburys veg bag as I had lots of small Brussels sprout sand didn,t like the idea of having to catch all to put in my shopping bag!

Granny1London Tue 22-Oct-19 14:20:19

Most things can just be put into your trolley loose then straight into your shopping bag.

Calendargirl Tue 22-Oct-19 14:20:26

Gilly1952

Yes, I remember the thick blue bags sugar came in. My dad was a smallholder, Mum sold eggs at the door using the bags to put them in.
Our parents generation really did make do and mend. I was brought up to save all paper bags, buttons were cut off old clothes, string was saved, veg peelings etc was fed to the chickens and pigs, glass bottles were refundable, and so on.
Everyone had proper shopping baskets, and I suppose many people shopped on a daily basis, so you didn’t need lots of bags.

Yehbutnobut Tue 22-Oct-19 14:22:47

Ladymuck too inconvenient? Duh!

Lilyflower Tue 22-Oct-19 14:57:28

I am very green and always have been because I am frugal and don't like waste. I have always looked out for the planet.

However, all this greenwash, hypocrisy, ill informed greeniac nonsense and sanctimony gives me the pip. I am completely fed up with people who fly long haul for holidays lecturing me about things I am not even doing!

grannybuy Tue 22-Oct-19 15:47:51

I've found that market prices aren't always cheaper than those at the supermarket.

Nanny41 Tue 22-Oct-19 16:02:28

I am all for doing away with single use plastic bags, paper ones are so much better, but if people dont have anything and just put things on the conveyor belt and into their trolley is there going to be a mess left on the belt, soil, leaves etc? No doubt it will be sorted soon when people remember to have bags with them.
I wish they would do away with putting cucumber in plastic,I take it off as soon as I get home.

Edithb Tue 22-Oct-19 16:22:53

I saw Boots had brown paper bags the other day.