Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone agree with me Or am I just grumpy ?

(75 Posts)
Gemini1789 Tue 22-Oct-19 22:38:04

I’m fed up with the new ways of presenting the news. What is wrong with sitting behind a desk ?
Why do we have to go over to someone freezing their socks off outside number 10 when all we see is a door ?
Why do BBC presenters have to stand up holding a sheet of paper ?
Why do we have to watch presenters walking towards the camera waving their arms ?
So the newsreader tells us about the story and then so and so ‘ has more ‘. Well not usually much more. They just repeat what has been said.
And ‘ take a listen ‘ ?
And why does Anna Botting have to stand outside with her friends on the Press Preview. It makes me feel uncomfortable.
And all the apologies for flash photography and upsetting scenes.
Ok. I’ve got a remote but I want to learn what’s going on.

EllanVannin Wed 30-Oct-19 12:26:58

Annie I was just about to say the amount of broadcasters who appear to be standing on or very near a main road. It's a good job we don't have the old steam-rollers rumbling by or I'm sure there'd be a few flat newsreaders in the gutters.
These people are pests.

GeorgyGirl Wed 30-Oct-19 11:04:05

I agree Gemini, it is so unnecessary, along with music being played on programmes when people are talking, talking too fast to try and impress, always showing 'previously', taking five minutes to actually start a programme and having to change titles using two or more words when one used to be o.k, e.g. human resources instead of Personnell, I could go on ....... sorry, gone off on a tangent, yes I totally agree with you on the way the news is presented!

NfkDumpling Fri 25-Oct-19 07:02:21

I get angry at the way they stick a camera directly into the face of a grieving mother after a disaster. It only seems to happen when that mother is a person of colour in a 'third world' country. The lady has no idea what the reporter is saying. They wouldn't get that close to a European but stay a respectful distance. It's intrusive and demeaning.

Loislovesstewie Fri 25-Oct-19 05:54:53

Sorry; forgot to mention 'trigger warnings'. 'This report includes images some might find distressing ' AaaaHHH! We know the news can be upsetting . We are adults and can use commonsense.

Chestnut Thu 24-Oct-19 23:23:23

They did it again on the BBC News tonight re Brexit: 'Is there any clear way out of the storm?' Cue a shot of heavy rain filmed today in London. angry Aargh!

Loislovesstewie Thu 24-Oct-19 18:32:30

I'm glad it's not just me, or me and OH. I can't bear the way they have to stand up for some of the items, umpteen reporters standing outside various buildings to emphasize what they are saying, experts being asked stupid questions . This morning on the BEEB we had deferential tones when a man was asked why he had come to the UK in the back of a lorry . They can't ask questions in a neutral way but need to empathize as clearly we can't make our minds up and be empathetic. They seem to be on a mission with some topics. I just want to be told facts! Is that too much to ask for?

Then there's Kay Burley, she drives me mad. I don't know why; she just does.

And no dramatics please. Leave that to our luvvie actors.

Hetty58 Thu 24-Oct-19 17:49:08

Very true LondonGranny. It seems as if TV (especially morning) has been dumbed down into a 'magazine-style' entertainment show - not 'news' at all!

LondonGranny Thu 24-Oct-19 16:23:31

This is why radio is better.

Chestnut Thu 24-Oct-19 16:09:45

On the same theme, does anyone else feel patronised when we are given a pictorial representation of what has just been said.
Oh yes, it drives me nuts. 'Boris's Brexit Deal is all up in the air' with pictures of Autumn leaves flying around in the wind.
The BBC News does it constantly, one image after another, as if they're talking to children.
Grrrr!

Hetty58 Thu 24-Oct-19 15:43:02

The news is on the radio or online so why bother watching the annoying version on the telly?

Alexa Thu 24-Oct-19 13:54:29

I agree! I use my hand to try to blank off those presenters who walk about hiding the view they are talking about, especially the presenters who are ugly to look at. Neil Oliver is okay.

As for the presenters who point at the words they are reading off documents! Yuch they make me angry.

Anniebach Thu 24-Oct-19 11:05:01

SKY news has a reporter standing next to a road in Purfleet, with lorries thundering by.

stevenk Thu 24-Oct-19 10:48:24

You need help.

Willynilly Thu 24-Oct-19 09:11:00

Ah Hooty, don't get me started about Peter Levy. Unnecessarily combative with interviewees, patronising at other points...and as for his 'banter' with the weather man...grrrr!

BradfordLass72 Thu 24-Oct-19 04:42:37

Does anyone agree with me Or am I just grumpy

You're just grumpy !! grin grin

Can't see the point of watching the news anyway - haven't for decades - so when it annoys you all so much, why do you repeat the offence?
party
grin grin party

CanadianGran Thu 24-Oct-19 04:06:53

Humptydumpty that was hilarious! thank you for the laugh.

Smurf44 Thu 24-Oct-19 02:39:06

I agree with all comments. I much prefer news readers to sit behind their desk rather than standing in a studio with nowhere to put their pieces of paper. And the man who keeps shouting No Brexit should be arrested for Disturbing the Peace. Does he live on the green outside Westminster as he is always there on every news bulletin? Why isn’t he at home or at work instead of shouting unintelligible words at the cameras? If the reporters were safe inside a warm studio it would mean he had no one to shout at! Standing in Force 10 gales on the seafront always seems a bad idea when the rest of us are warned to stay at home! It is definitely time the BBC saved money and cut many of the unnecessary outside broadcasts!

Saetana Thu 24-Oct-19 01:35:34

Hmm the BBC cannot afford to pay for free TV licences for ALL the over 75's - but they can afford to have hundreds of reporters running around all over the country, most unnecessarily. I too wonder what is the point of having some poor reporter(s) out by the coast, putting themselves in danger, getting soaked with rain and nearly blown over by winds. The BBC say they would have to cut services to pay for licences for all over 75s - well, this would be a good start to the cuts! My parents are pensioners but just above the pension credit limit - paying £150 a year (or whatever they are gouging us for at the moment) would be a real stretch for them. I see no reason why the BBC should not either accept adverts or sponsorship for their programmes - with some money being paid to them (as Channel 4) to provide public service broadcast TV such as news and coverage of parliment.

Juniper1 Wed 23-Oct-19 20:30:36

It’s just a technique, among others. Chill out guys.

HootyMcOwlface Wed 23-Oct-19 20:12:10

My bugbear (In addition to the walking about thing) is the, repeating half a story a few times before telling the rest of it. It drives me potty!

Tonight on our local news, Peter Levy (can’t stand him) tells us about some woman who has had hiccups for 12 years. Then says this started over 10 years ago! Ffs!

Carol23 Wed 23-Oct-19 18:42:34

I so agree, it's all infuriating and unnecessary. Hand and arm waving, standing outside buildings when no one is going to come out, so it goes on ..... grrr!!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 23-Oct-19 17:00:09

My peeve is when the camera is focused on the side of the presenter's head and they are talking to another camera in front of them out of shot. Not just the news, this daft gimic is used in other programmes! Why?!

AcornFairy Wed 23-Oct-19 16:53:07

Yes, many of the current ways of presenting TV news are quite farcical, but as they are often so humorous it takes the edge off the boring stuff that they are reporting. The serious reports do not deserve such levity however, and the other night a certain political editor pontificating while leaning against a pillar did rather get me going. Another thing that gets up my nose is on breakfast TV, for example, when one presenter passes over to another – such as for a weather or sports report – and some “witty” link has to be used to run one report into another. And then there’s – no, I shall stop before I really get into my stride!

M0nica Wed 23-Oct-19 16:49:19

I do not watch television news, just listen to radio news, Radio 4 news in my case.

I like listening to knowledgeable experts and special correspondents. There is nothing worse than some regional football correspondent dropped in to cover a local story on a local univerity discovering a renewable car battery small enough to be removed and popped in your handbag to take inside to recharge. They do not understand the technology, the wider subject and nothing about how electric cars are made and talk total hogwash and rubbish.

petra Wed 23-Oct-19 16:28:16

Did anyone see the cameraman doing the okey koky outside parliament.
Someone (I think it was Huw) was interviewing 2 opinionated no nothing MPs.
Behind them were 2 people with Brexit placards.
It was obvious that the BBC didn't want the placards in view so he spent all his time trying to keep said MPS in view without the placard wavers.
Hilarious ?