Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone agree with me Or am I just grumpy ?

(74 Posts)
Gemini1789 Tue 22-Oct-19 22:38:04

I’m fed up with the new ways of presenting the news. What is wrong with sitting behind a desk ?
Why do we have to go over to someone freezing their socks off outside number 10 when all we see is a door ?
Why do BBC presenters have to stand up holding a sheet of paper ?
Why do we have to watch presenters walking towards the camera waving their arms ?
So the newsreader tells us about the story and then so and so ‘ has more ‘. Well not usually much more. They just repeat what has been said.
And ‘ take a listen ‘ ?
And why does Anna Botting have to stand outside with her friends on the Press Preview. It makes me feel uncomfortable.
And all the apologies for flash photography and upsetting scenes.
Ok. I’ve got a remote but I want to learn what’s going on.

CanadianGran Wed 23-Oct-19 04:04:15

Haha, I agree! Ours here perhaps is not as bad, and there is one channel I prefer over others. I always make a point of watching the national and international news, then catch the first 20 minutes of provincial news.

I wish they would keep to actual newsworthy stories. At lunchtime (if I am rarely at home to watch it) they usually have chefs or wine experts on with their latest recommendations. That doesn't belong on the news as far as I'm concerned.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 23-Oct-19 09:59:13

Oh! Great. Just what we moan about all the time. Does standing outside Downing Street or Buckingham Palace tell us they have been interviewing the inhabitants?
Agree, why should the reporter be walking towards the camera? Do they think we will go to sleep unless we see constantly changing images.
Also, why so many reporters? Lots of news I know but perhaps they are all free lance and available at short notice.
Grumble, grumble, grumble.

Septimia Wed 23-Oct-19 10:07:48

My DH complains all the time about presenters walking about - on all programmes, not just the news. It affects their voice delivery and distracts from what they're saying. I spend all the time waiting for them to trip over, but I daresay they've already done that umpteen times and are on take 20 or so.

Reporters standing outside number 10 or Parliament or wherever add nothing to the news, neither does standing at the scene of a fire or accident etc. Pictures if appropriate maybe, but seeing the reporter contributes nothing to the story.

lemongrove Wed 23-Oct-19 10:08:17

It’s to make it all seem fresh, immediate and coalface type of thing!
It’s nonsense of course, and would be far better for all concerned done in a comfortable studio.How many times have we all struggled to hear someone speak with the competing noise of traffic, rain, and that idiot who goes around shouting ‘No Brexit’ at the top of his lungs.

Anniebach Wed 23-Oct-19 10:16:16

So agree, why a paper review standing outside. And why oh why when they announce something about the royal family do they take camera, sound, reporter to stand outside Buck House.

And that man shouting ‘no brexit’ grrrrrrr

Callistemon Wed 23-Oct-19 10:25:38

We can never understand why reporters have to stand on the seafront in a howling gale, lashing rain, with waves crashing over the sea wall when people have been warned to stay indoors!
Or in a hurricane overseas with palm tree bent sideways in the background, the reporter in danger of being blown away.

Or near a wildfire when people are fleeing and firemen are trying their best to stop it spreading. Get out of their way, you idiots.

Beckett Wed 23-Oct-19 10:33:54

What annoys me is when you see a reporter walking along the street, talking to the camera which then pulls so far back that it looks like the camera must be on top of a building and the reporter is getting strange looks because he/she appears to be talking to her/himself.

I agree Callistemon why is it necessary for them to be outside in a storm - we know what rain looks like! Also why are they sent to snowbound areas where emergency services are trying to get people to safety - either give a hand or go away!

Anniebach Wed 23-Oct-19 10:34:24

When we have snow here in Mid Wales surrounded by mountains we know the main roads will be cut off, but come the news there is a reporter standing in a lay by on the highest spot telling us the police advise us not to travel !

Pantglas2 Wed 23-Oct-19 10:38:15

So true Anniebach! My DH was so cross last night with all the news of the votes etc and lorries were driving past the reporters drowning out the voices!

wildswan16 Wed 23-Oct-19 10:38:59

Agree with all the above. Lots of important interviews are totally ruined by being held outside with so many distractions around that it is hard to concentrate.

We all know what snow looks like, why spend thousands of pounds transporting a film crew to show us some more?

Nanny41 Wed 23-Oct-19 10:40:19

I agree with everyone,the press preview on at 10:30 pm outside, on Sky News whats the point, the poor people being interviewed freezing, just to discuss whats in the papers,is it all supposed to make things more alive, exciting,I think not. And dont talk about that man shouting "no Brexit" hasnt he a home to go to, grrrr.

Theoddbird Wed 23-Oct-19 10:40:57

I think the warning about flash photography is because it was discovered that it could cause problems with some types of epilepsy

GrannieMigs Wed 23-Oct-19 10:42:28

Absolutely agree. I once went to the length of emailing our local BBC station to put these same points, and got a completely patronising and dismissive reply from the local head of news, along the lines of "We know exactly what we're doing; you don't". I wasn't surprised. Has anyone ever heard any BBC representative on "Newswatch" admit they had got something even slightly wrong?

Annaram1 Wed 23-Oct-19 10:52:28

Well, I am unobservant and have just not noticed reporters walking towards the camera, and if I have I am not bothered. What does bother me is that we don't get much international news. Its all Brexit. To get what is happening in the rest of the world you have to go to RT or Aljazeera, and if people say those are biased just look at the scenes. I like to know what is going on in South Africa where I grew up. Haven't seen anything on UK TV about Zuma having to face corruption charges for example. My granddaughter is in Japan and I like to see things about that country. Any news about South America interests me, especially if its Brazil, where my Dad was born. UK news doesn't cover much outside unless it is really dramatic.

Anthea1948 Wed 23-Oct-19 11:03:44

Not something I've ever thought of, but you do have a point! And paying for all those outside broadcasts probably keeps their costs up, which in turn get paid by us. See, you've got me grumpy now! grin

Teetime Wed 23-Oct-19 11:08:41

I agree but the worst programmes for me are the ones where the presenter has to take over from the expert to 'have a go' at something- so Blue Peter.

jannxxx Wed 23-Oct-19 11:10:15

agree, sky in the early morning outside parliament and theres always a heckler, screaming shouting and your trying to hear the news, for goodness sake, sit behind a desk makes more sense

lemongrove Wed 23-Oct-19 11:13:54

The daftest interview I saw came from an African country, where the BBC journalist gave a commentary about what was happening in a neighbouring country ( because it wasn’t safe to enter the one he was talking about.)

gillyknits Wed 23-Oct-19 11:16:35

On the same theme, does anyone else feel patronised when we are given a pictorial representation of what has just been said. The reporter will say something like ‘ The government has reached a dead end’ and we are shown a picture of a cul de sac. Not a very good example it it happens on every bulletin and is very annoying.

NannyDa Wed 23-Oct-19 11:18:56

They all have too much air time to fill. Bring back the 1pm 6pm and 10pm bulletins and get rid of the 24 hour news, which repeats, repeats, repeats. Full of innuendo and assumptions. Just report the facts.
That said, I’m in bed feeling rotten and probably AM being grumpy. Thank you.

gillgran Wed 23-Oct-19 11:26:24

When our local, BBC regional newscaster, ( East Anglia ), started reading the news holding an, A4 size piece of paper, I thought she may be pregnant...!!!

The ones who appear to be standing outside no., 10, Downing Street, are they there, or in front of an image,?

SpringyChicken Wed 23-Oct-19 11:27:01

I never see the point of reporters standing in flood water

sarahellenwhitney Wed 23-Oct-19 11:28:21

I don't give a where and how as long as we the public are kept informed of what is going on around the world.

Margs Wed 23-Oct-19 11:43:13

And why do the news outlets (and the Beeb, sad to say, are the very worst) have to have a correspendent for every item and subject?Sometimes more than one and don't get me started about the armies of 'experts' they have to hand for even the most mundane stories.