Gransnet forums

Chat

Blogs and who to follow- looking for inspiration

(50 Posts)
SirChenjin Thu 24-Oct-19 18:36:19

I’m in need of inspiration please. My criteria are:
1. Nothing political
2. Nothing travel related where they’ve taken a sabbatical from fantastically well paid jobs, letting out their huge homes in London to find their crazeee adventures
3. Nothing ‘fashion for the over fifties’ related written by an ex-model whose proportions and bank balance bear no resemblance to mine

Can anyone recommend some good ones please?

SirChenjin Fri 25-Oct-19 14:59:42

Some great suggestions to get me started, thanks everyone smile

Applegran Fri 25-Oct-19 17:09:46

www.ted.com/talks If you don't already know TED talks you have a treasure house in store! You can look up almost any topic and see a top class inspiring talk.
And I've just found this - not used it myself before - but it lists a lot of sites they have selected as inspiritional.
8womendream.com/catherine-launch-your-dream/the-top-48-motivational-and-inspirational-web-sites

SirChenjin Fri 25-Oct-19 17:16:43

Oh I completely forgot about TED talks - thanks for the reminder!

Theoddbird Fri 25-Oct-19 19:12:00

Follow yourself......your own thoughts and beliefs......not those of others.

Callistemon Fri 25-Oct-19 19:54:21

oodles I may take a look at that one, thank you, as my ancestors were silk weavers.

Who knew - I have never looked at a blog as I've always been too busy with my own life!

SirChenjin Fri 25-Oct-19 20:34:32

Blogs are just things to read like non fiction books - I’ve never thought of them anything other than an alternative reading medium and I can fit all sorts of reading into my v busy life.

Septimia Fri 25-Oct-19 21:49:55

The only blogs I follow are those that keep me up to date with what's happening on archaeological digs.

Otherwise I don't bother. I'd rather read a book.

Grannyknot Fri 25-Oct-19 22:07:59

Blogs to me are the same as reading a magazine article or column, by people that self publish.

So I chop and change depending on my mood or current interests. At the moment I'm reading Hand Luggage Only handluggageonly.co.uk

Just Google "top 50 UK blogs" and find what you like.

Apricity Fri 25-Oct-19 23:16:39

Oodles, I also love Spitalfields Life by the Gentle Author and have followed him for some years. He is such a wonderfully evocative writer and an inspiration in finding fascination in the world around him. I've never been to Spitalfields but love his wry, gentle, informed and wondering explorations of the area, its history, buildings, gardens and people.

Nannyalbertine Sat 26-Oct-19 11:07:03

Thank you so much for recommending me! I'm really curious about what you'd all like to read. I've been focusing on travel, but thinking of writing more about post 50 life. I retired early on teeny tiny pension so I could write crime fiction. I am living an itinerant life in Greece, Spain and the UK, trying to write and have a great time on very little. We're planning on getting a van next year and travelling in and living in that. I also have mild heart failure and other health issues so possibly write about that too. What would you all like to read about in a blog?

SirChenjin Sat 26-Oct-19 12:00:52

Hello Nanny smile

I’d like to read about the practicalities of travelling - often when people say ‘I live on a tiny amount’ it actually means that their finances are propped up in some other way and if it were all to go belly up they’d still have somewhere sizeable in the UK to come back to and possibly downsize from - hence my criteria number 2. I’m not looking for a breakdown of your personal finances, just a sort of step by step ‘these are the options, this is how we did it’ kind of thing that acknowledges the challenges faced if that makes sense?

Sophrosyne Sat 26-Oct-19 13:56:33

Ohhh blogs, where to begin? Obviously, as TLVgran48 mentions, with Wendy Mitchell's Which Me Am I Today blog - a truly inspirational and courageous lady. Whilst I don't actually follow any blogs as such I do have many bookmarked (including those on You Tube) to dip in and out of when I'm looking for a bit of inspiration or "insider knowledge" for my interests (walking/hiking, photography, Greek Islands, Ospreys or indeed anything that piques my curiosity). Love Penny (on my wave length re nearly new fashion) at frugalfashionshopper.co.uk; Andrew, who takes professional level photographs of his walks at www.andrewswalks.co.uk; Susan, who left Bradford over 40 years ago to live in Greece with her own Greek God at greekerthanthegreeks.com; Liz for her diverse interests at thelastfurlong.wordpress.com and now and again I check out Emily Clarkson (daughter of Jeremy) at prettynormalme.com just to keep up to date with the younger one's thoughts and woes in life. The Beauty Bible at www.beautybible.com run regular competitions. And Joyce at grandmawilliams.com blogging at 80! Hope you find your inspiration SirChenjin because I agree that is what blogs are all about ... inspiration.

SirChenjin Sat 26-Oct-19 17:24:22

Thanks so much Sophrosyne - some great suggestions on here, Im looking forward to taking a look at them all ?

Lisagran Sat 26-Oct-19 21:41:37

www.highheelsinthewilderness.com/

thevintagecontessa.net/

materfamiliasknits.blogspot.com/

amidprivilege.com/

BradfordLass72 Sun 27-Oct-19 22:11:46

I only follow one blog and that sporadically.

They are friends of mine who decided to do a round-the-world in their yacht - but then never really stopped!

saldarago.blogspot.com

Very easy to read with lots of lovely photos.

I had my own blog at one time and it's still out there.

Nannyalbertine Tue 29-Oct-19 09:41:02

Thanks for the recommends Sophrosyne, I will check them out. SirChejin, yes I know what you mean about practicalities. I'm going to be writing a post soon about how we lived in Greece all summer on €500 a month early retirement pension (plus small rent which was covered by renting a space out we own.) We have no UK house but own a house in Spain (bought 13 years ago for the price of a terrace in the Northwest UK. We rent that out as Airbnb but income fluctuates a lot! We'd live in Spain (paid mortgage off with pension lump sum) but miss grandchildren so much! Lots to write about: Nanny guilt, travelling with a heart condition, making the leap to early retirement and so on. Glad I found this forum though!

hamidch Sat 25-Nov-23 08:29:25

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

BlueBelle Sat 25-Nov-23 08:36:43

Never followed a blog, no idea how to find one or if I want to
🤣🤣

Georgesgran Sat 25-Nov-23 08:52:45

This thread is 4 years old BlueBell with a lot of names I don’t recognise. Maybe I’ve a suspicious mind, but it seems an odd one. On one post the OP is asking about financial details of another poster.

Shel69 Sat 25-Nov-23 15:54:49

I chill out by watching youtube, I have a few favourites, Old food guy, Wandering turnip,Butlers empire,Martin zero, I have little time to myself so this is my space and they are not very long,

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Nov-23 16:17:15

Georgesgran

This thread is 4 years old BlueBell with a lot of names I don’t recognise. Maybe I’ve a suspicious mind, but it seems an odd one. On one post the OP is asking about financial details of another poster.

SirChenjin used to post quite a lot, Georgesgran but we haven't seen her/him for ages.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Nov-23 16:18:04

Callistemon21

Georgesgran

SirChenjin used to post quite a lot, Georgesgran but we haven't seen her/him for ages.

But yes, it's not a good idea to post about personal finances.

And there have been a few old threads revived by spammers lately.

Patsy70 Sun 26-Nov-23 15:19:25

Callistemon21

Georgesgran

THIS THREAD IS FOUR YEARS OLD!

HelterSkelter1 Sun 26-Nov-23 16:20:30

I see it's 4 years old but it is trending. Before it disappears Alternative Ageing is a really lively vlog. Suzi Grant was on a morning TV show years back and is now mid 70s and great fun.