Gransnet forums

Chat

A scarf for the homeless

(55 Posts)
DanniRae Fri 25-Oct-19 09:15:41

I have knitted a multicoloured scarf and wish to give it to a homeless charity but don't know who to send it too. I have googled it but, although lots of information, there is no actual address to send it to.
Can any one help me with this?

grapefruitpip Fri 25-Oct-19 09:28:09

Are you in the UK?

DanniRae Fri 25-Oct-19 09:40:12

Yes I am in UK grapefruitpip

grapefruitpip Fri 25-Oct-19 09:43:52

There must be organisations to help the homeless in your area?
Good Luck with your search.

MawB Fri 25-Oct-19 09:46:14

Salvation Army and Emmaus spring to mind.
Have you looked for them?
There are also sometimes specific appeals as Christmas approaches, I gave Paw ‘s winter coats, fleeces and jackets to an appeal at Birmingham called “Wrap up Brum”.

MawB Fri 25-Oct-19 09:46:50

Meant to say “at Birmingham Cathedral”

J52 Fri 25-Oct-19 09:49:08

Not the homeless, but I know the Seaman’s mission and similar charities welcome knitted hats and scarves.
Often in the winter fishing boats are held up in harbours due to bad weather, resulting in the crews being far from home in a foreign country. Warm clothes are welcome.

harrigran Fri 25-Oct-19 09:55:21

I have seen mentioned that some towns put out racks of coats and invite people to take one if they need it or to donate one if you are able, perhaps they accept hats and scarves to go with the coats.
Why not just google warm clothing donation.

petra Fri 25-Oct-19 09:58:15

J52
Ive just finished my 500th hat for the sailors.
I stopped knitting for The Seamans Mission as they couldn't be bothered to thank me.
I now knit for the Sailors Society in Southampton. I get a thank you email every time I post the hats.

Callistemon Fri 25-Oct-19 09:59:07

Someone near us started a charity asking people to fill a shoeboxes at Christmas which are then donated to people sleeping on the streets, I included a hat which I had knitted last year, along with toiletries, chocolate etc (as requested).

Is there a local charity like that near you DannieRae?

Otherwise the Salvation Army does a lot for homeless people.

Callistemon Fri 25-Oct-19 10:01:51

I think Shelter have collected the shoeboxes in previous years and there should be a list of what it is best to include.

westendgirl Fri 25-Oct-19 10:01:54

Do any of your local churches run a Winter Night Shelter.?
I would be surprised if there isn't a such a scheme. You would find out by going on the church website. Best of luck.

BlueBelle Fri 25-Oct-19 12:10:08

I really am not to happy with some of our homeless they lie in the Main Street with their duvets and shopping trolleys of chattels they defecate in front of the public ( yes really) and have their bottles of drink around them Why are they not moved on as they used to be
I m very very sympathetic to anyone truly homeless but these folk are a big thorn in the side of the town centre
We have a homeless shelter here which very often has rooms free but of course the no drugs no drink rule put some of these people off

grapefruitpip Fri 25-Oct-19 12:51:56

Bluebell, I do think we have to be careful with calling our fellow humans beings " these people".

So easy to make assumptions.

BlueBelle Fri 25-Oct-19 13:28:20

If you had a child with you maybe your granddaughter or grandson grapefruitpip and a woman pulled down her pants and defecated in public I m not so sure you d be too happy I don’t think I said anything out of order the people I was referring too were the ones in our town centre that cause a lot of trouble I made it fairly clear that I am wholly empathic with genuine homeless people Thanks

grapefruitpip Fri 25-Oct-19 13:38:04

OK, thats fine BB. I just think it's a very complex problem.

Daisymae Fri 25-Oct-19 15:23:54

A local town has a rack where people can leave coats for the homeless. I think anyone defacating in public probably has a mental health issue. Says more about the state of public services than anything else. Getting people moved on just puts the problem outside someone elses door.

M0nica Fri 25-Oct-19 15:30:13

At church we collect gloves, scarves, socks and warm underwear , which is donated to the local homeless hostel.

EllanVannin Fri 25-Oct-19 15:49:09

Years ago you saw the odd person, usually a man who appeared elderly and they were known as "tramps" and although there was little money or anything else about they were few and far between. Dad used to give him 20 Woodbines if he saw him. Mum called him the old man of the road rather than a tramp.

Now, when there's more money around etc, we see dozens of both sexes living on the streets. It doesn't make sense. Though I do understand that there are a variety of circumstances why this happens. It's still shocking.

A coloured scarf's a good idea I've got lots of odd balls of wool.

Liz46 Fri 25-Oct-19 15:53:25

Our knitting group used to make hats which were given to the local mission. Everyone who went for Christmas dinner was given a hat and other things.

Oldandverygrey Fri 25-Oct-19 16:16:11

DanniRae - you may like to contact Knit for Peace/Salvation Army/Help the Aged, etc., all would be willing to take your contribution. I have dealt with them for many years.

NotAGran55 Fri 25-Oct-19 19:18:31

Crisis would welcome it I’m sure . www.crisis.org.uk/get-involved/shop-from-crisis/

NotAGran55 Fri 25-Oct-19 19:32:04

You could always have a chat with some one on the streets and ask if they would like it ? Cut out the middleman smile

PamelaJ1 Fri 25-Oct-19 20:20:11

I think that all cities have organised help centres for the homeless. The daughter of a friend used to work in one in Norwich. I’m sure if you google your nearest city you would find the centre.
I collect filled shoeboxes in our village and the area coordinator picks them up from me. I love filling them, hate wrapping them, them and collect items all year.

crystaltipps Fri 25-Oct-19 20:22:58

If you are in London try the Whitechapel Mission
whitechapel.org.uk/