Gransnet forums

Chat

Pavements for people?

(161 Posts)
Doodle Fri 25-Oct-19 13:39:10

Does anyone else live in an area where they have to dodge round people on bikes or walk in the road to pass cars parked on the pavement?
DH and I walk a lot and are often frightened when a cyclist suddenly swoops past us or rides up behind us and shouts at us to get out of the way. When did it become law that bikes and cars could now use pavements rather than the road?

Gonegirl Thu 31-Oct-19 16:42:18

Doodle grin I meant over the bridge.

We have a bridge near us with narrow paths either side and busy, quite fast, traffic. Walking over it when you're a bit wobbly is bad enough without having to contend with impatient cyclists as well.

suziewoozie Thu 31-Oct-19 17:32:35

Section 64
Something that confuses many cyclists is whether or not they are allowed to cycle on the pavement. According to Laws HA 1835 section 72 & RSA 1984, section 129, cyclists must not cycle on the pavement.

This seems pretty clear to me (from the Highway Code)

Gonegirl Thu 31-Oct-19 17:40:19

Yes, but with the growing need for less pollution from cars, cycling is being encouraged everywhere. And that includes the police turning a blind eye where pavement cycling is being done safely.

Gonegirl Thu 31-Oct-19 17:42:53

And,of course, the amount of traffic on our roads has increased immensely since the Highway Code was written.

suziewoozie Thu 31-Oct-19 17:46:14

Well the police are hardly likely to be around whether pavement cycling is being done safely or not. It’s simple, if there are pedestrians on the pavement get off your bloody bike.

LondonGranny Thu 31-Oct-19 18:05:26

Both cars parking on pavements and bicycles riding on pavements are subject to local byelaws, not UK-wide legislation. For instance, cars parked on pavements in London get a court summons but very few places elsewhere in the UK.

Guide Dogs for the Blind and other disability organisations are trying to make pavement parking against the law all over the UK. Unfortunately parliament has been all about Brexit and other pending legislation has fallen by the wayside.
I do have sympathy about cyclists not using the road. So many cyclists are killed by cars and lorries. It happens so often here in London it often doesn't even make the local news sad

I think it's very easy to look at this problem through the wrong end of the telescope. Sort out cars and lorries and keep them well away from cyclists and pedestrians who are the most vulnerable travellers. So many drivers think cyclists and pedestrians have no rights on the road, shouldn't be there and behave in an aggressive manner.

suziewoozie Thu 31-Oct-19 18:36:08

I’m sure riding a bike on a pavement IS illegal but generally goes unenforced as the selfish gits are unlikely to be caught and of course don’t have to have numberplates ( or insurance)

maddyone Thu 31-Oct-19 19:12:26

It’s not that people think cyclists have no right to be on the road, it’s that people want cyclists to be on the road rather than the pavement. Pavements are for people, not cyclists. Apart from young children, cyclists should never be on the pavement.
I’m not surprised that cyclists get killed in London, the way they ride their bikes in London horrified me. It’s almost unbelievable, and if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn’t have believed it. They ride as if they’re in an Olympic race! Absolutely disgusting is the way I would describe it. The way they ride it’s a miracle even more aren’t killed.

Grammaretto Thu 31-Oct-19 21:42:27

There is one length of pavement near us which is very wide and I do cycle on it to keep off the road, however I would slow down or stop if I met pedestrians.
Infact I believe cyclists should not confuse themseves with cars and should convert to being a pedestrian if necessary. It's much safer.
Your post made me laugh Doodle
I love the idea of ringing a bell!!

ArriusLion22 Wed 21-Oct-20 12:58:44

they people doest share their space
Roads are for vehicles and pavements are for pedestrians. They spend maybe hundreds of pounds on their bike and clothing but never spend a few pounds on a bell
lawswoodclaims.co.uk/accident-at-work/