Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you think of as luxuries?

(112 Posts)
MamaCaz Tue 29-Oct-19 18:47:47

Yesterday, there was disagreement on another thread about whether a car is a luxury in modern life.

It got me thinking, and I thought it would be interesting to see what things were generally considered luxuries when you were younger, and whether you still think of them as luxuries, or if you now see them as necessities, or at least in some cases, depending on individual circumstances.

For instance, as well as cars, do you still think of central heating, washing machines, a phone in the home, a TV set and vacuum cleaners as luxuries, and why (not)? Feel free to add to that list - it's just to set the ball rolling.

And what sort of things do you now think of as luxuries that might not even have existed when you were younger?

Witchypoo Wed 30-Oct-19 13:44:02

A luxury for me would be a twin tub washing machine and being able to see my grandsons.

posset Wed 30-Oct-19 13:50:02

Today's luxuries become tomorrow's necessities!

sharon103 Wed 30-Oct-19 13:55:04

This one MawB Tue 29-Oct-19 19:51:26
I think that emoji is amusing smile

Sussexborn Wed 30-Oct-19 14:09:34

Coffee! When we’ve been struggling financially I still had my Tesco coffee filters and OH his Nescafé. OH only drinks coffee and it’s awkward when people offer and then bring out an economy own brand. Thank goodness I drink tea but I much prefer it when you can stand the spoon up in it. Not one tea bag in a six cup teapot as one friend provided. Luckily the kitchen sink was nearby.

Witzend Wed 30-Oct-19 15:13:59

Oh, Sussexborn*, that did strike a chord. Someone I know thinks a very scant, flat spoon of instant makes a cup of coffee. I don't think it's money related - she just likes it like that. But I have to ask her to put at least double her usual in. Really can't bear it so widdly-weak.

timetogo2016 Wed 30-Oct-19 15:25:36

Having my grandchildren.
The family are so busy working. when I get the chance to have them ooooohhhh HAPPY DAYS.

Lilyflower Wed 30-Oct-19 15:33:27

Champagne was a luxury only rich people had. However, over the years the price has come down and the DH and I buy various quality Champagnes in bulk when they are on offer (such as Tesco's 25% off when you buy six bottles) and we have a bottle of fizz every Saturday to celebrate the weekend.

We have done this for over twenty years now. Really rich people would look down their noses at our penny pinching but it always makes me feel good and well off.

Is it a luxury? I think it's now a necessity. Oh dear. Jeremy Corbyn won't be pleased.

Cambia Wed 30-Oct-19 15:39:07

Business flights but not in BA!
Crisp laundered shirts but not by me
Jo Malone bath oil

NotSpaghetti Wed 30-Oct-19 17:07:37

what things were generally considered luxuries when you were younger?
Foreign holidays. Most definitely. My uncle went abroad for two weeks every summer when I was young. It was all very "exotic". We never did this and it always sounded magical.

My friend started to buy what I thought were luxuries in the early 80s when she went back to work after staying home with her family. In her fridge one day I found flavoured yogurt. My friends and I had always made our own yogurt and kefir so this was a revelation to me. I still remember opening her fridge and seeing it there.

MawB Wed 30-Oct-19 17:17:04

<sigh> sharon
It is the standard GN emoji to indicate “confused” - confused
I was confused at anybody thinking Food a luxury.
Aren’t you?

Saggi Wed 30-Oct-19 17:21:23

Never had a car so don’t miss one.
Could easily do without a tv.
My land/line is soon to go, as have mobiles.
I will not EVER be without a washing machine.
I have a drier...am not sure . Would miss it in winter though. Would never want to be without my Microwave.

Kalu Wed 30-Oct-19 17:22:04

Private jet. This luxury would enable me to, top of my list, make the journey to Australia to visit DD2 and my son in law. The long haul flight is out of the question for us now sadly.

MiniDriver56 Wed 30-Oct-19 18:17:52

Compared to growing up, I would say I live a life of luxury. Things were not around growing up, so they were not available!

NotAGran55 Wed 30-Oct-19 18:30:44

When I was a child we had a pot of double cream once in a blue moon . To this day it always feels decadent to buy one once in a while , usually for birthdays or Christmas .

123kitty Wed 30-Oct-19 18:36:32

Heated car seat.

MamaCaz Wed 30-Oct-19 18:58:33

We once had an old car that had heated seats. We'd had it a long time before we found out. I was driving along one day when suddenly I felt warm as if I'd wet myself - not a nice feeling when it comes out of the blue! grin

Eleph Wed 30-Oct-19 18:58:51

I consider a dishwasher a luxury and a cordless vacuum cleaner both of which I don’t have and desire to have even though life goes on with themsmile

RomyP Wed 30-Oct-19 19:48:47

More than anything I would like a life without pain, and not just for myself, that really would be a luxury.

GeorgyGirl Wed 30-Oct-19 20:46:45

Perfume, chocolate, fresh cream, strawberries, avocados, jewellery, fresh flowers used to all be considered luxuries decades ago and yes owning a car and having a telephone.

newnanny Wed 30-Oct-19 20:48:56

Fenjal in a very hot bath and a glass of wine to boot.

grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 20:56:13

time.

Merryweather Wed 30-Oct-19 21:39:21

Things I have that I consider a luxury: microwave, tv, multiple electronic devices, central heating (it doesn't get used), tumble dryer- doesn't get used, air conditioning.

Things I think are necessary items and have: mobile phone, internet, washing machine, daily showers, inside clean toilet, my car as I live fairly rural and the train station is a mile away - there's only four trains anyway. The bus stop is half a mile away and only two busses a day and I can’t wheel myself up hill that far, chocolate.

Things I think are luxury but would like: to have my health and not be stuck in bed or in a wheelchair, fresh sheets of Egyptian cotton 500+ thread count daily, to be able to do more physical activities with my girls, to own a house, a dishwasher my 39-year-old one is handsome but misses bits- regularly, peace and quiet - it's half term and my girls are tired and grumpy, a cleaner, holidays abroad - as long as there's a proper western style toilet.

4allweknow Wed 30-Oct-19 22:23:08

Peace and quiet in garden in summer, having access to aeroplane without having to go through check in and security when going to visit DGS, someone to sort out my wardrobe for every season are not only luxuries they are fantasies really. Central heating, electricity, car, vacuum cleaner are not luxury items for me now. Washing machine, fridge , dishwasher I could do without but life would be awkward if not difficult

Callistemon Wed 30-Oct-19 23:18:00

A TV, a fridge and a washing machine were considered the height of luxury when I was a child although I do remember a rather cumbersome Hoover being wielded frequently!
We did have the TV, twin tub and small fridge by the time I was a teenager as far as I remember.

There was never a car, a telephone or central heating but there was always a warm coal fire in winter.

Now we do take all those things for granted.

I don't consider a freezer a luxury as we freeze a lot of our own produce.
As for the height of luxury today, perhaps fresh, ironed bedding changed daily (that was what my mother always said she would have if she could too), to travel business class with a chaffeur driven limousine to whisk me to the airport.

And a cleaner!

Theoddbird Wed 30-Oct-19 23:53:48

My choice was to buy a narrow boat to live on. It has none of what many would consider luxury. It is full of necessities. It has things that many could not live with...a toilet cassette that I have to take to an emptying point every week, a water tank that has to be filled with a hose once a week. So what is my luxury? I would say the peace of the river, the swans and ducks that visit to be fed, the joy of sitting watching the fish swim around in the clear water. My luxuries are the simple things in life and I treasure them....