Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you think of as luxuries?

(112 Posts)
MamaCaz Tue 29-Oct-19 18:47:47

Yesterday, there was disagreement on another thread about whether a car is a luxury in modern life.

It got me thinking, and I thought it would be interesting to see what things were generally considered luxuries when you were younger, and whether you still think of them as luxuries, or if you now see them as necessities, or at least in some cases, depending on individual circumstances.

For instance, as well as cars, do you still think of central heating, washing machines, a phone in the home, a TV set and vacuum cleaners as luxuries, and why (not)? Feel free to add to that list - it's just to set the ball rolling.

And what sort of things do you now think of as luxuries that might not even have existed when you were younger?

BradfordLass72 Thu 31-Oct-19 06:51:26

We can now all go out and purchase a 'fridge, washing machine, cooker should they break down

You surely can't beleive that EllanVannin?

My fridge was 2nd hand when a kind friend, returning to the USA gave it to me 14 years ago.

If that, or my washing machine (also over 15 years old) broke down, I would have no way of replacing them.

And I don't even have a bath any longer in which to tread my smalls grin

MamaCaz Thu 31-Oct-19 14:19:25

I've put of having my top oven/ grill repaired for nearly two years because of the cost (cheese on toast has become a luxury only eaten elsewhere), and i know from past threads that lots of gransnetters have to prioritize other things over either repair or replacement of appliances when they break down.

MamaCaz Thu 31-Oct-19 15:14:09

On second thoughts, cheese on toast is now a treat, not a luxury.

gallusquine Thu 31-Oct-19 15:33:30

My pink Pifco Princess Hairdryer was my first taste of luxury.

SalsaQueen Thu 31-Oct-19 16:11:33

For me, luxury would be having someone to do my ironing. When I came home from a holiday one year, I actually had my ironing (there was a LOT) done by an ironing company, and it all came back the following day, all on hangers. It was quite expensive, so I couldn't make it a regular "treat"

Daisyboots Fri 01-Nov-19 19:38:56

I am the same as many on here that what would have been luxuries had they been available when I was young are now just what we have in everyday life.
Someone upthread said that everyone has central heating nowadays. Unfortunately many people in rented accommodation are still without central heating even in quite new property. Usually everything in these properties are electric with electric heaters on the wall which are expensive to run. Add to that they have to have pay as you go meters so not at the best electricity rates. So central heating would be a luxury to them.
I do have a wonderful cleaner and my husband has taken over most if the other jobs in the house while I cant do them but he isnt a cook. So a luxury for me would be to have my dinners cooked for me every day by a good cook.

annep1 Fri 01-Nov-19 19:55:06

I'm not poor, and I consider myself very fortunate in that. I have been poor in the past.
Eating out is a luxury. There are people starving in the world.
Sending my bedlinen to be laundered is a luxury I enjoy.
Having my holiday mobile home is a luxury.

It's amazing what we take for granted nowadays.

annep1 Fri 01-Nov-19 19:59:04

Oh, and my Hotel Chocolat batons.

annep1 Fri 01-Nov-19 20:02:45

Polnan re your post about toilet roll. I still marvel that I can buy it in bulk and use as much as I want!

Mistymorningstar Mon 04-Nov-19 21:15:48

For me it would be a fortnightly pedicure, and a weekly aromatherapy and reflexology massage. If you haven't had one you may think it trivia, but if you have and it was done well, then you know what utter bliss is. No longer working no longer available.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 21:18:04

A hairdresser to come in each morning and blow dry my hair so that I can face the world.