Gransnet forums

Chat

Thoughts on Gender Neutral Toilets -or are men’s loos more disgusting than ladies?

(76 Posts)
crystaltipps Wed 30-Oct-19 18:19:36

Following on from the “holes in the ground” discussion I wondered what the opinion was on “gender neutral toilets”. I recently visited a smart London gallery and the toilets were “gender neutral” i.e. no men/ women’s toilets just anyone could use them. The seat was up, there was urine on the floor and bits of paper everywhere. I haven’t visited many men’s loos, but are they usually more disgusting than women’s? Am I alone in not really liking the trend towards gender neutral toilets?

maddyone Wed 30-Oct-19 18:29:48

Those toilets sound disgusting Crystal, I don’t think I would have wanted to use them, but sometimes needs must. I have used gender neutral toilets in the past but I think they were just called mixed toilets. I didn’t particularly like the ones in France where I had to walk past a man at the urinal doing what men at urinals do. Generally I don’t have a problem so long as the toilets are clean and there are no urinals. It makes life easier for gay parents (two men) who can then access the baby changing facilities, or indeed one man out with his child.

MacCavity2 Wed 30-Oct-19 18:34:20

I agree with you Crystaltipps really dislike these toilets. Unfortunately this is all we have in the hospitals in my area (Hampshire/Dorset). Always carry disinfectant wipes. Interestingly I’ve noticed signs inside toilet asking men to sit down when using. Fat chance.

janeainsworth Wed 30-Oct-19 18:34:53

I had to use the women’s toilets at Schiphol Airport.
There were two toilets.
One was unusable because it was covered in shit.
So no I don’t think it’s a man thing.

Calendargirl Wed 30-Oct-19 18:35:02

I prefer to use Ladies toilets. Only use mixed ones if absolutely have to, I know that’s not a trendy thing to admit but I don’t care.

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Oct-19 18:39:47

I'm with you, Calendargirl

SirChenjin Wed 30-Oct-19 18:51:54

I’ve been in women’s loos that are absolutely revolting - I don’t think it’s limited to men’s’ loos. I really don’t like the idea of sharing cubicle type loos with men though, I would feel very vulnerable.

MiniMoon Wed 30-Oct-19 19:19:04

I used to clean the staff toilets in a local supermarket. I found very little difference in the cleanliness or lack of it.
The men seemed to keep the hand basins cleaner than the ladies did.

Missfoodlove Wed 30-Oct-19 19:22:14

When our children were growing up they wanted to assert their independence, part of this was going to the toilet alone in a public place.
I would not like to be dealing with this now.
Toilets should be a safe haven!

janeainsworth Wed 30-Oct-19 19:38:53

The men seemed to keep the hand basins cleaner than the ladies did

Maybe that’s because some of them don’t deem it necessary to wash their hands if they’ve only been for a wee ?

SueDonim Wed 30-Oct-19 20:04:17

I was recently in some facilities that had men's, women's and gender-neutral loos. All the women preferred to queue for the women's loos rather than use the gender-neutral ones, which seemed to be used exclusively by men.

Pantglas2 Wed 30-Oct-19 20:11:41

I don’t do handshakes any more on the basis of where those hands have been......

trisher Wed 30-Oct-19 20:23:37

I've been in some pretty disgusting ladies loos and some very nice mens ones. I don't think you can guarantee either will be immaculate.
As for the women who queue rather than use a gender neutral one, they're idiots

SirChenjin Wed 30-Oct-19 20:28:15

If the gender neutral ones are the rows of cubicle type ones that have gaps at the top and bottom as opposed to the individual type ones (iykwim) then perhaps they’re not “idiots” but rather women who have experienced something which makes them feel as if they want to be in a safe, women only space. Either way, it’s not really in the spirit of the sisterhood to call other women idiots for a personal toilet preference imo.

MiniMoon Wed 30-Oct-19 20:52:09

janeainsworth, certainly not!
I witnessed more women leaving without washing their hands than men.

I couldn't say anything, but the habits of some of the staff were disgusting.
It's a good job we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Oopsminty Wed 30-Oct-19 20:58:51

Good point Janeainsworth!

In most places I've worked /shopped a female cleaner would not be working with men urinating and washing their hands MinnieMoon!

trisher Wed 30-Oct-19 21:01:22

SirChenjin This is why they are idiots- www.thelist.com/67668/happens-body-wait-long-pee/

trisher Wed 30-Oct-19 21:02:31

Male and female cleaners clean all loos.

SirChenjin Wed 30-Oct-19 21:09:30

And here’s another take on it trisher

www.rapecrisisscotland.org.uk/help-facts/

www.womenshealth.gov/relationships-and-safety/sexual-assault-and-rape/sexual-assault

Please don’t call women ‘idiots’ if they don’t want to share a private space with men - it’s not nice.

SirChenjin Wed 30-Oct-19 21:13:44

And another take on it here www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1WJ20Y but there’s lots out there about why gender neutral toilets aren’t always wanted.

Persistentdonor Wed 30-Oct-19 21:16:59

I used a women's toilet in a museum 2 weeks ago shortly after opening time. There were lumps of faeces on the floor!!
shock

SirChenjin Wed 30-Oct-19 21:26:03

envyenvy <- not envy

SueDonim Wed 30-Oct-19 21:29:14

Good heavens, Trisher, who knew idiot women were doing so much damage to themselves, per your link, by waiting in line for an extra few minutes? hmm

Moocow Wed 30-Oct-19 21:29:57

I have wondered if it's children using the toilet when they are left in a bad state.

I don't mind mixed sex toilets if the door opens right out into public space (obviously hand basin dryer all available inside the cubicle. What i do not like is the idea of going into a large area with cubicles then sinks and dryers along the walls outside as we have now when you go to "the ladies"). I used one recently in a cafe but did wonder about smelly toilet smells that can result at times and in this case would be coming straight out into the cafe.

MiniMoon Wed 30-Oct-19 22:07:58

I always made sure they were okay with me being there. ??