Gransnet forums

Chat

Leaves - not mine!

(53 Posts)
Marmight Thu 31-Oct-19 12:06:08

I have had a few problems with my neighbour since moving here 2 years ago. Basically he’s a bit of an old woman's blouse, ocd and a bully. Its a long story which I will spare you, however I have coped, trying to keep on the right side of him (apart from when I told him I was fed up with his bullying tactics ?) and even agreeing to have our mutual parking area resurfaced, although I really didn't want or need the extra expense. It is now like Brighton beach. There is a red leaved plum tree in his garden. About 90% of the leaves fall on my property and are difficult to rake up over the ‘beach’. He however has a leaf blower and I notice today that his side, again, is clear of leaves having been suitably blown, many in my direction I suspect. I did suggest last week that it would be neighbourly if he blew those on my property as well?. He hasn’t taken the bait obviously! Would it be completely childish of me to deposit these leaves back onto his path? Or should I just be more principled and suck it up? Comments please (tongue in cheek emoji)

Calendargirl Thu 31-Oct-19 12:08:04

If you gathered them up and bagged them you would get leaf mould, good for the garden.

HildaW Thu 31-Oct-19 13:15:11

Our 'leaf blower' also sucks......we gather them up and it works a treat even over our paved and gravelled area. P.S. they are not technically ours we just live near some lovely big trees. Just ask him cheerily if you could borrow his! Good luck.

Cherrytree59 Thu 31-Oct-19 13:27:20

Marmight I would be tempted?.

One Sunday my Sister's neighbour swept up all the leaves on her path and deposited them onto my sister's drive before driving off to church.grin

I get it, it's autumn, the trees are glorious at this time of year,
We have had some lovely autumnal walks, taken some nice pictures, but......
the leaves drive me to distraction.

We have a Rowan tree in the front garden that we obviously get leaves from,
but they seem just to blow away and disperse.

However, the surrounding trees in various gardens all seem to blow on to our front garden and drive.

By the time they reach us, they are wet and heavy and stay put, until I lift them up.

As unsightly as the are, this year I am waiting until all the leaves are down before I grumble and shovel them all up!

Just recently a poster on mumsnet out forward a scientific theory as to why leaves seem to stick to some front gardens and not others, although I quite remember what it was confused.

May be one for elegran to shed some .light on.

lemongrove Thu 31-Oct-19 13:32:36

Marmight.....he sounds a cheery chappie!?
We have a lot of leaves on the lawn and drive, and just run the mower over it to pick the leaves up, much easier than a heavy leaf blower or sweeping up.

midgey Thu 31-Oct-19 16:27:49

I’m withLemongrove put the blade on high and you can go over gravel, so much easier. I have noticed a fair few older men in my neighbourhood blowing leaves out of their area and making it someone else’s problem. Happy souls...not!

Gonegirl Thu 31-Oct-19 16:32:24

Get your own leaf blower and blow em back again!

Esther1 Thu 31-Oct-19 19:42:02

Don’t fall out over this. Cheerily ask to borrow his blower and just get on with your side with a smile. It’s absolutely not worth any unpleasantness with neighbours. Speaking from experience - I let ours bully us over garden issues, but just think life’s too short to sweat the small stuff

Ginny42 Thu 31-Oct-19 19:58:53

It rather depends on how physically able you are at sweeping up a lot of leaves. I have no idea of the cost of a leaf 'sucker upper' but can you get your own?

I'm surrounded by woodland and I get lots of leaves in my garden and on the drive. I'm lucky as I can sweep them up into bin bags and take them back into the woods and scatter them.

NfkDumpling Thu 31-Oct-19 20:12:47

If he won’t lend you his you can hire leaf blowers fairly cheaply. But be careful about sucking the leaves up, they get very heavy.

Or sweep all the leaves into a heap near your boundary and get children to have fun jumping into them and throwing them and ‘accidentally’ throwing them all back into his garden.

SirChenjin Thu 31-Oct-19 21:05:38

Burn the tree down - it’s the only way ?

LullyDully Fri 01-Nov-19 08:10:54

old woman's blouse?????? Less of the agist, sexist language please.

Daisymae Fri 01-Nov-19 08:52:01

I would try to resist temptation. Falling out quickly makes life a misery. Bag them up, next year you will have a good mulch for the garden. Tell him you will have his too!

harrigran Fri 01-Nov-19 09:26:21

Leaf blowers are very heavy to operate. We borrowed one from DS and even DH could not manage so your neighbour must be fit and healthy. The miserable old s*d could clear your leaves too.

Nicolaed Fri 01-Nov-19 10:21:54

Typical man with nothing better to do! We have one neighbour who is as sweet as the day is long, nothing too much trouble but the other; should a leaf or twig go over the fence it's snipped off and thrown back. He mows the verge grass up to our house line and parks his car to that line too. What sad people there are out there!

Kathy1959 Fri 01-Nov-19 10:23:46

Keep bagging the leaves up, preferably when you can see he’s watching. Try to find an opportunity to tell him you have a friend who pays for leaves to compost his allotment! He’ll soon stop giving you his leaves for “ free “!

beautybumble Fri 01-Nov-19 10:24:26

I agree with Esther1. Don't fall out over it. Once a quarrel between neighbors starts it can escalate and there's sometimes no going back. Autumn leaves are everywhere. I don't worry about them or clear them and I'm proud of my garden. Get a leaf blower of your own and put them on you compost heap and keep the peace.

sylviann Fri 01-Nov-19 10:33:49

I wouldn't give in to his bullying tactics anymore ther's not much you can do about falling leaves but he might be taking delight in the fact you are showing concern.

Scottiebear Fri 01-Nov-19 10:37:03

Cant help thinking that if you move to a house next to someone with trees in their garden, then you unfortunately you will get their leaves in your garden. We had our garden redesigned couple of years ago to make it low maintenance. But a neighbour a couple of doors up has a huge tree and leaves fall into all nearby gardens. And we get leaves from the neighbours shrubbery on the other side. So we just clear them. Nobody's fault - just nature. And it's nice to see the greenery in the summer.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 01-Nov-19 10:43:07

What a miserable old s**you have as a neighbour.Buy or borrow a leaf blower to blow them back on his side but fuel / battery operated as you don't want cable tripping you up .Or bag them for compost.

Camelotclub Fri 01-Nov-19 10:46:49

Can't you just leave them? They'll rot down eventually. Over the lane from us we have huge beech trees (I mean 50/60 ft. high) and leaves everywhere. We see it as the price we pay for living in the country. I'd rather have trees and put up with the falling leaves!

Camelotclub Fri 01-Nov-19 10:47:47

Why do men get so grouchy as they get older? I've noticed my DH moaning more than usual as he ages.

jaylucy Fri 01-Nov-19 10:48:21

I think I'd be tempted , despite the expense to further upgrade your half of the drive with having a resin bound gravel put down. At least that is easier to sweep up !
I doubt if you will ever change him, whatever you do or say- just try not to rise when he starts his next lot of bullying tactics.
I once had a neighbour who seemed to take great joy with lobbing snails that he found in his garden , over the fence into mine ! Considering his garden was just grass that had been mown so much that it was nearly bald, and his flowers were 3 geranium plants on his dogs graves in the summer and a row of 6 tulips in the spring, my garden, with it's shrubs and perennials was a better food source for them anyway! He also managed to cut the cable to my solar water feature after deciding to cut the hedge in our garden ! (he hadn't been asked to !

whywhywhy Fri 01-Nov-19 10:52:56

Leaves are great for the garden so use them. If he thinks that you want them then he will be quick to try and keep them. We have a bully next door to us as well. He has nearly got an asbo from the police for watching and photgraphing a young single mam in the house opposite. I suspect him of poisoning some of my plants in our garden which he can reach through the hedge, but I have no proof. Try hard and just ignore him. Take care.

Esmerelda Fri 01-Nov-19 10:54:57

Blimey, I tried raking up the leaves once after I moved into my home 25 years ago and even back then decided it was too much like hard work. So I got myself a Power Devil leaf blower (cost very little and I've had it for all those years) which has a strap to go over your shoulder and definitely isn't heavy. I get lots of leaves falling onto my grass and just blast them under the surrounding shrubs where the lovely worms get to work improving the structure of the soil and by the following spring there isn't a single leaf to be seen. I really enjoy doing it, must have had half a dozen sessions with it already this year, and am looking forward to the next few!
So, my recommendation is to get your own leaf blower and cock a snoot at your difficult neighbour by dealing with your own (and maybe his) leaves. Best to blast them after a couple of dry days, though!