Gransnet forums

Chat

Needing a smile?

(37 Posts)
MawB Fri 01-Nov-19 08:17:04

For all needing a smile and an aaw ???moment?
A baby gibbon and his teddy bear surrogate mum.

DoraMarr Sat 02-Nov-19 09:24:56

Lovely picture. It reminds me of an experiment done in the 1970s with baby chimps. They were offered a substitute mother made of chicken wire but with milk on demand, or a cloth “mother”, and they tended to choose the cuddly one over the hard one with food. The researchers concluded that physical contact is paramount.

morethan2 Sat 02-Nov-19 09:40:08

Sweet photo maw and it’s lovely to know that someone somewhere wants to cheer us up. Your baby IS beautiful Bradford

Callistemon Sat 02-Nov-19 11:16:04

Perhaps his mother rejected him so that is sad, but if they are reintroduced slowly she may accept him eventually.

I think the picture is sweet; it shows that, even if his mother rejected him, someone cares enough about his survival to find him a surrogate mum to cuddle.

BradfordLass72 Sun 03-Nov-19 06:42:31

Yes, I apologise, my baby IS beautiful and it was the first thing I said as he was born and I've never changed my mind.
It just seemd a bit arrogant of me to say so!

He's now 6ft 7, lifts weights - and is still beautiful inside and out. I could not be more proud of him for who he is, a gorgeous man.

My first son (see picture), totally different from his dark brother, with his white-blond hair and big, blue eyes, won a baby competition for his looks.

In those days, such foolish things seemed important.

Oldandverygrey Sun 03-Nov-19 17:59:11

A sad picture MawB, why would you think it would make anyone smile?

callgirl1 Sun 03-Nov-19 18:33:02

Ignore all the nayes MawB, he`s cute, and cuteness always brings forth a smile.

MawB Sun 03-Nov-19 18:46:41

Because oldandverygrey an animal or a child with a teddy makes me smile. Anthropomorphic, I know.
My own fault for a stupid caption, I could just as easily have called it “everybody needs a teddy”
I unwisely introduced the idea of a “surrogate mother” - that was entirely made up, there was no such back story except that this monkey is to be reunited with its mum who it seems rejected it at birth.
So that is why oldandverygrey although frankly I can’t think what would make you smile if that is the mood you are in. ?

Callistemon Sun 03-Nov-19 19:07:50

MawB I thought that could be the case, that his mother rejected him and that they will be reunited at some point.

In the meantime, he does look so cute cuddling his teddy - apparently this is better than having a human as a surrogate.
At least he has survived, in the wild he would probably have perished.

Oldandverygrey Mon 04-Nov-19 14:38:33

MawB just thought I would let you know it was not an aaw moment for me. Have a nice day.

BradfordLass72 Tue 05-Nov-19 06:53:12

"Have a nice day" ??? confused

BradfordLass72 Tue 05-Nov-19 06:59:30

For MawB.......when someone rains on your parade, what you need is an umbrella friend. grin