Gransnet forums

Chat

Fireworks. It's not just about pets.

(27 Posts)
LondonGranny Sat 02-Nov-19 18:15:13

I have a friend who fought in the Falklands. He has PTSD. At this time of year life is hellish for him and I know he's not alone.

I know the emphasis is on how scared pets get but as soon as fireworks are available in the shops my area is firework central and although our dog is petrified she can be calmed with treats.

The sudden bangs go on for about six weeks and often at an unearthly hour. I'd love it if their sale was completely banned except for licensed displays by qualified pyrotechnicians. I know there's already legislation about setting off fireworks in the street but the police are already hugely overstretched.

Any petition I see is focused on animals, whther pets, farm animals or wildlife. There's nothing wrong with that but I also think about veterans. They're rarely mentioned and I think we owe it to them to make their lives more bearable.

Teacheranne Sun 03-Nov-19 01:00:49

It's almost 1 am here and there are still loud bangs outside! I'm not bothered really but some folks are very selfish letting off these noisy fireworks so late.