Gransnet forums

Chat

Why does it always happen!

(38 Posts)
sunseeker Tue 05-Nov-19 10:31:32

I have mentioned before that I suffer with insomnia. Last night was a bad night so I didn't get up until 9.00.

At 9.30 my doorbell rang - it was a neighbour asking for a favour. I had to answer with my hair in rollers and no make up! (fortunately for him I was dressed).

Any other day I would have been dressed and reasonably presentable at that time - I just hope he doesn't ask me to pay for the counselling he is going to need!

annifrance Wed 06-Nov-19 13:37:17

I am generally well dressed in lovely clothes usually made by me. My home is for the mostpart in a reasonable state. However, you take me as you find me and if you disapprove then tough s--t. I really don't care.

I am hopeless in the mornings, rarely up before 9, hate getting wet as soon as I get out of bed. So if I am not going anywhere then I slop around in pyjamas doing domestic things, and even walked dogs in same. (Note to self, pyjamas wearing out, but more.). In summer it's straight into swimmie.

I would never not open the door because I was in pyjamas, wouldn't make any difference as the door is glass. Next door, other neighbours and DHL guy quite used to this. I suppose it is a plus that we live in the middle of nowhere.

Paperbackwriter Wed 06-Nov-19 13:53:33

I'm just amazed anyone still uses rollers!

pinkquartz Wed 06-Nov-19 14:14:09

I am not fazed about opening the door in my nightie, but it is very long and looks like a robe or a dress as it is a plain colour.
I buy them online and most are a dark red colour.

My hair is a short cut so easy to manage. I just have to put my fingers through it and you can't tell I have just got up except for the creases in my face and that I can't open my eyes fully grin

sunseeker Wed 06-Nov-19 14:21:17

Paperbackwriter I use rollers because, following an operation I only have half the muscle on my back and am unable to hold a hairdryer in place long enough to blow dry my hair (also my hair is very fine and blow drying isn't very effective - even the hairdresser has problems!)

My neighbour called in again this morning (at the much better time of 11.00) - I was fully dressed, hair and make up done - have to say he didn't look too traumatised from yesterday's experience! grin

M0nica Wed 06-Nov-19 20:23:20

When DD worked from home to a shift pattern, all delivery men and postmen knew that if she was on her computer working - and they could see that because her desk was in the bay window of a front room, the nature of her job meant she couldn't leave it and that they should go round the back and leave whatever they were delivering on the kitchen doorstep.

They also got used to her coming to the door in nightwear on days when she had worked a shift that ended in the small hours.

Our study also has a bay window at the front and any one coming to the door can certainly they see me and from some angles DH.

Once when I was in alone, I was very tired, I and stretched out on the settee in the bay window with a rug over me, I looked up at one point and saw a cold caller coming towards the house, so I hurriedly pulled the rug over my head and tucked my toes in and then lay there very very still, for about 5 minutes. Fortunately, he couldn't see into the bay while at the front door and he eventually walked away. I stayed there until I felt really sure that if he turned around he wouldn't see me.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 06-Nov-19 20:43:02

I wouldn’t answer the door if I wasn’t dressed.whoever it was if it’s the postman and we have a parcel then it gets left in safe place.

paintingthetownred Wed 06-Nov-19 21:28:17

Ive got the perfect solution.
Go to bed in your bamboo jumpsuit, like me...
and then you can answer the door and no one suspects it is not pyjamas...

best
painting

GreenGran78 Wed 06-Nov-19 23:32:00

Rufus2 Back in the 50's, when judo first came to this country, I was the only female in our local club. We all used to go to the pub after the session finished. It was considered very amusing to throw the "Didn't recognise you with your clothes on" remark in my direction. As I was always the lone female among maybe 20 men it provoked many interested glances from other people in the pub. I'm sure that many of them must have thought that I was the local 'tart!'

Rufus2 Thu 07-Nov-19 13:03:22

many of them must have thought that I was the local 'tart!
GreenGran; My word, you're going back a long way and you have obviously clung onto the memorysmile Regardless of the context you must have looked very attractive, otherwise you wouldn't even have got second glances. blush Perhaps it was your Judo physique!?
Hope you've retained that in as good a shape as your memory! grin

crazyH Thu 07-Nov-19 23:08:49

Every night is a bad night....I only drop off by midnight , if not , later. Woe betide anyone who knocks before 9- I won't answer . After 9, I will answer in my dressing gown, which stays on till I'm ready to go out shopping or whatever and that's only after 2pm. All my neghbours know that . And family ?

kwest Fri 08-Nov-19 21:51:32

What about a notice on the door stating " Shift worker , under No circumstances knock on this door". Unplug the landline and switch off your mobile.
If someone comes to the door and you are in your dressing gown you have already provides an explanation with the door notice.

Coolgran65 Sat 09-Nov-19 06:32:46

My postman/hermes delivery etc have all seen me in my dressing gown. Usually, chores are done and then I shower and dress.
Also, I sleep very poorly and could be up and 6, or up at 11am. smile