Gransnet forums

Chat

Bonfire Night!

(13 Posts)
lemongrove Tue 05-Nov-19 22:10:22

We rarely do anything on Nov 5th these days, and it seems many people don’t bother, asking friends and neighbours.
We heard very noisy fireworks earlier from an organised
‘Wedding venue’ old manor near us which does corporate drinks and fireworks ‘do’s’...but that was it, and all quiet now.
Did any GNers go to planned things tonight?

Calendargirl Tue 05-Nov-19 22:11:58

No.

MiniMoon Tue 05-Nov-19 22:14:41

Nothing going on round here.
My family don't do fireworks, the children have sensory processing difficulties and can't stand the bangs.
Plus they have a family of hedgehogs living in their garden.

Tangerine Tue 05-Nov-19 22:15:29

I used to take my children to organised events many years ago.

I suppose I'd go to an organised event if any of my friends wanted to attend and invited me but I am not very keen on fireworks.

Callistemon Tue 05-Nov-19 22:15:55

No, although the family has got together with another family with young children so I hope they had fun.
After all those years of organising either bonfire night at home or going out to an organised do, sometimes in the drizzle, I am thankful to give it a miss!

SalsaQueen Tue 05-Nov-19 22:16:49

For the past few years, we'd been to organised events with son, his partner and either his 2 girls or her 2 boys. Nobody mentioned it this year, so tonight, they got the bus to a large organised display, and I went to Zumba, as I always do on Tuesdays.

Callistemon Tue 05-Nov-19 22:16:52

I did miss waving sparklers around and writing my name in the air

Gaunt47 Tue 05-Nov-19 23:10:22

There's been nothing in my neck of the woods, probably because it's been raining so much.
I remember Guy Fawkes as a few families getting together, with the dads lighting the blue touch paper, when I was growing up. Mums produced baked potatoes and home made toffee.
Calli - if you had a long name you had to write really quickly! I used to love catherine wheels.

SueDonim Tue 05-Nov-19 23:25:55

There's been nothing locally, not so much as a minor bang. The organised display was last Saturday. We don't go, we have to drive and it's too difficult to park. I do love fireworks, though. ?

ladymuck Wed 06-Nov-19 07:26:27

I was brought up on RAF camps and private fireworks were not allowed. There was a big organised display, which was always spectacular.

Round here, firework night started on Saturday and has continued every night since. My poor pets were petrified, even though I had music on and kept talking to them.

It will be next week before the fireworks finally run out.

Urmstongran Wed 06-Nov-19 07:30:04

Remember rip-raps? Scared me silly when I was young!

DanniRae Wed 06-Nov-19 08:55:37

I HATE fireworks - my poor dog gets so upset and just wants to go in the garden and bark at them all - and there have been so many of the bl**dy things, night after night. And more tonight I expect.......Ban them, I say, and just have organised displays.
The story of the puppy who died of fright because of firworks just broke my heart!!!!
BAN THEM angry

tanith Wed 06-Nov-19 09:43:24

One or two early bangs but nothing later, we’ve had more most nights for a fortnight, let’s hope that’s the end of it.