Gransnet forums

Chat

Car smells!!!!

(30 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 05-Nov-19 22:25:15

This is so weird - the inside of my car stinks - a sort of mouldy smell. I think it relates to the fact that my GS spilt a bottle full of water into the footwell - but it is such a strong smell - I cannot believe that carpet (?) has started to rot so fast! I have also had a problem with not being able to demist the windscreen properly. I think some liquid must have got into somewhere I cannot see/feel and when I use the heater it is evaporating and misting things up.

I do not have a clue what I can do - if I could crawl around in the car I could probably find the source - but I can't!

Anyone else had this problem?

NanTheWiser Wed 06-Nov-19 14:48:14

I agree it sounds like the air con. If you don't run the A/c all the time, you get mould smells from it. It's good practice to keep it on all the time to circulate the gas.

I had a leak a few weeks ago, the driver footwell was saturated! Rang my garage, and he immediately said he thought it was the windscreen seal, he'd had a few others to deal with recently, so I got it done. Dried out the footwell with one of those dehumidifier packs (from Halfords) which took a few weeks, but seems to have done the trick.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 06-Nov-19 15:34:24

You could try putting a saucer full of og bicarbonate of soda into the car when it is standing closed up. Bicarb gets rid of most unpleasant smells.

Apart from this you do need someone who can crawl around the car and help to check whether the carpets are wet and dry them with a hair dryer if you can't remove them from the car.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 06-Nov-19 15:34:41

sorry about the typos!

Lin663 Wed 06-Nov-19 22:10:34

We had a similar problem smell...it was like someone had been sick...turns out it was something to do with the air conditioning