Gransnet forums

Chat

How can they afford all this advertising?

(14 Posts)
schnackie Sun 10-Nov-19 11:59:51

I am on a small pension, but like to buy clothes from particular brands (Seasalt, Joe Brown's) once or twice a year, mainly when they are having a sale. I get frequent emails from them which I don't mind at all grin but the number of catalogues sent by both companies surely ends up costing more than I will ever spend with them! To say nothing of the paper that gets thrown in the recycling bin! Before we had the internet, I used to devour catalogues and order from them but these days it's completely different. Why do they continue spending this money on advertising in this way?

ninathenana Sun 10-Nov-19 12:10:15

Daft isn't it.
I ordered a couple of jigsaws from a company about a year ago. They sell all sorts of other tat and clothes that I am never going to buy from them. I receive a small catalogue from them on a monthly basis that contains the same items every time.
Waste of their money and my time.

Charleygirl5 Sun 10-Nov-19 12:26:37

Hotter irritate me for the same reason. They email me almost daily and very frequently send a glossy brochure. On the odd occasion I have bought something I receive yet another glossy brochure. Such a waste of time, effort and money.

BlueBelle Sun 10-Nov-19 12:29:22

I agree I ve bought off Joe Brown a couple of times but I m inundated with catalogues, I would think every month, and they go straight in the recycling bin
When I need to buy something else I ll look on line

rosenoir Sun 10-Nov-19 12:38:29

Some companies allow you to choose marketing preferences, if you go to your account and untick contact by post.

Nonnie Sun 10-Nov-19 12:50:09

It must work because they keep sending them. There must be people who buy as a result of reading them.

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Nov-19 13:04:14

Thanks, rosenoir, for some reason I hadn't even thought of doing this for my Donald Russell account. I've been complaining for ages about getting catalogues every week!

ginny Sun 10-Nov-19 13:16:27

I agree it is annoying but it must be worth it to the companies. Same applies to charities that send out cards ad hoc.
I’m sure they all work out the effectiveness and profitability of this sort of marketing.

SueDonim Sun 10-Nov-19 14:15:47

Phone them up and ask to be taken off their mailing list! That's what I've done.

Missfoodlove Sun 10-Nov-19 14:16:30

I return them. They immediately stop sending them

Jane10 Sun 10-Nov-19 15:14:59

I am annoyed while buying items from Curry's and Hotter (among others) when they ask officiously for my email address. They seem surprised when I ask why they want it and then can't answer. I never give it. I'm in the shop, I'm paying for the items I don't have to share any info with them at all.

M0nica Sun 10-Nov-19 16:03:29

The reason they do it is ebcause it works. You may not buy every time you get a catalogue, but the catalogues generate enough business for it to be cost effective.

If it wasn't they would not do it.

schnackie Sun 10-Nov-19 17:31:40

rosenoir and SueDonim thanks for the suggestion! I will do that tomorrow! And Jane10 I agree about the email address. I just say no and wait for them to move on with the bill.

TheReadingRoom Sun 10-Nov-19 17:39:33

I printed a few labels - *Unsolicited Mail* Return to Sender - and stick these over my name & address and the whole unopened package goes back in the post box. And it works!