Gransnet forums

Chat

The joy of “chickens”!

(43 Posts)
MawB Mon 11-Nov-19 07:38:28

A friend with whom I had arranged weeks and weeks ago to go to London to see the Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood exhibition tomorrow, has pulled out as she feels she has too much on.
I tried to keep a sympathetic look on my face, but inside I was heaving a sigh of relief! A day at home at last! (Out of the last 14 days I have been away from home either overnight or for the day, for 8 of them, Hattie popping in and out of kennels like a yo-yo. )
Does anybody else enjoy planning, enjoy the anticipation , the feeling that you are “keeping busy” and then the relief of not having to carry it through -but without the guilt of being the one to chicken out?
Don’t get me wrong, I would hate to be in the opposite situation and after years of having stay close to (or at) home because of Paw I vowed to say Yes to all invitations and suggestions from family and friends.and while I understand how many others feel, but - East West, sometimes home’s best!
Mind you, I might go to the Stubbs exhibition at MK gallery now I am free.........
roastchicken

Aepgirl Mon 11-Nov-19 12:31:56

Oh yes, MawB. I have a wonderful social life with lots of friends. I also work part-time. However, there are times when I just want a few hours to myself - then I feel guilty because there are so many people who are constantly lonely.

Rosina Mon 11-Nov-19 12:56:46

Oh yes - it's just blissful to see the diary blank for the whole week. It does fill up but when there are no specific arrangements to be here and there at a certain time the stress melts away, and I get on with so much because I feel free to do it in my own time and at my own pace.

Jane10 Mon 11-Nov-19 13:30:41

Oh yes. A blank day in the diary is such a treat. I had one last Tuesday and I loved it.
Just this morning as I waited for the aquafit class to start we were saying how lovely it would be if the class was cancelled at the last minute and I'd have to just sit in the cafe with a coffee, bacon roll and the papers! Guilt free bliss. Nae luck today though! ♒ ?

annodomini Mon 11-Nov-19 13:31:16

I was going to meet a friend for lunch but she has cried off so I can have my afternoon nap after Countdown. blush

EllieB52 Mon 11-Nov-19 13:37:12

Enjoy your day of freedom @Mawb. I’ve recently moved up to Scotland (from MK funnily enough) and in an attempt to expand my circle of friends I joined everything that came my way. The result? Complete overwhelm. In the end I severely culled the activities down to one or two and even still I would be happier to stay home at times. The weather may have something to do with it of course!!

mamaa Mon 11-Nov-19 14:29:15

I thought it was just me who thought this way! Phew feel so much better about it now!

GreenGran78 Mon 11-Nov-19 15:36:39

After being limited by pain, then a hip replacement (blessed relief!) I really missed being able to freely get out and about. Relying on other people to drive me around really got on my nerves.
Now I never complain about having too many trips out. I am committed to two trips to Australia within seven months, which is a bit traumatic - not to mention expensive, but I'm just glad to be fit enough, at 80, to be able to enjoy my outings. Time enough to enjoy the stack of unread books when my legs give out on me!

PageTurner Mon 11-Nov-19 15:59:12

I started out a few years ago with 6 baby chicks. Three were roosters, and ended up in the stew pot. I only have one left. She provided lots of fresh eggs, but sadly doesn't lay anymore.
I haven't found too much "joy" in having chickens.

I too relish staying home and doing nothing (if I feel like it). Glad I'm retired, especially as it is -10F this morning and 4 inches of snow!
There, I've covered the "joy of chickens" for everyone?

nipsmum Mon 11-Nov-19 16:39:01

I think when you get to be as old as some of us are its great to be able to please ourselves. for some of us for the first time in our adult lives we can come and go when we like. Its great.

chickkygran Mon 11-Nov-19 16:57:05

Yes! Such a relief to know it’s just not me ?

Notsooldat75 Mon 11-Nov-19 17:17:46

I soooo agree, an unexpected cancellation is never a problem, and it also removes any guilt on my part about cancelling!

SalsaQueen Mon 11-Nov-19 18:57:11

Now that the evenings are dark, cold, and often wet. I love it when my plans are cancelled!

I usually go to Zumba on Monday evening, with a friend. I drive, which I don't much like when it's dark out - but for the past 3 weeks, she's cancelled - either she's late home from work, she's not feeling well, she's on holiday, or her mum's not well. These things can't be helped, but I'm glad that SHE cancels and not me.

It's an evening in, with the husband and cat, all cosy in my dressing gown. Lovely. grin

Chardy Mon 11-Nov-19 19:46:32

Yesterday I was so looking to a slob-day after several tiring days, when I was told 'Oh I forgot to say X is arriving at 4pm!'
What? I burst into tears!
So Maw the answer is yes I understand

Shizam Mon 11-Nov-19 20:21:23

Daytime trips only for me these days. Hate getting public transport on my own at night. How much I have changed!

Anthea1948 Mon 11-Nov-19 21:21:45

My mouth doesn't know me as well as it thinks it does, and constantly agrees to social events or even arranges them, and actually I'm okay with that, until about two days before the event and then I really wish I hadn't got to go through with it. Invariably I enjoy the event once it's underway but I often still wish I was just chilling at home.

SueDonim Mon 11-Nov-19 22:30:03

A sales person asked us today what we do now my dh is retired. What do we do???? I think we've had a whole three days to ourselves since late August! confusedgrin

Callistemon Mon 11-Nov-19 22:38:53

Oh yes!
And I am never keen on going out on cold wet winter evenings either.