Gransnet forums

Chat

What does 'a teacher' look like?

(82 Posts)
MamaCaz Mon 11-Nov-19 09:29:28

I've been told on several occasions that I "look like a teacher", twice by total strangers on public transport (though one was drunk and the other clearly had learning difficulties.

I don't think it's meant as a compliment, but it always makes me wonder what a teacher supposedly looks like and what bit of me ticks that box!

Have any of you ever been told that you look like you have a particular job/profession?

Gonegirl Sat 16-Nov-19 17:18:00

Strained and tired usually.

Mirren Sat 16-Nov-19 17:16:18

I was often told looked like a teacher. I wasn't ... I was a doctor . I dont think I look like anything in particular !

NanKate Tue 12-Nov-19 20:11:10

This could be my new calling Call ?

I helped a chap on Saturday who had got two self service machines going at once! He was in a right pickle. He was trying to buy 2 bottles of whisky amongst other things and I only just stopped one of the bottles falling on the floor, which he had put on the edge of the place you stack your goods. He told the supervisor he was no good and turned to me to finish off.

DH often says to me ‘you are not taking over again aren’t you ?’

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 17:27:07

You're needed in our nearest Asda hypermarket, NanKate

ALL the tills are self-service, people were having a struggle, it took twice as long and I vowed never to go there again.

NanKate Tue 12-Nov-19 17:18:26

When I see someone struggling to buy a parking ticket or trying to work out the self service machine in Sainsbury’s I go in all guns blazing to instruct them. I often say ‘I used to be a teacher’ and the usually reply ‘I could tell that’ ! I am rather on the bossy side. ?

lemongrove Tue 12-Nov-19 16:55:06

eazybee ah! That’s why Mr Lemongrove is recognised as a former teacher then! ?

trisher Tue 12-Nov-19 16:51:16

The basilisk stare and the deadly voice are only brought out to deal with serious misdemeanours eazybee. What have you been up to??

eazybee Tue 12-Nov-19 11:27:18

You can recognise a teacher by the basilisk stare and the quiet but deadly voice.

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 09:56:58

grin Greenfinch
DD worked in special needs as a supply teacher and she was very young, blonde, slim and, dare I say it, not 'motherly looking' at all.
A yummy mummy?
Take it as a compliment!

Greenfinch Tue 12-Nov-19 09:52:23

When I taught special needs I was told by someone that all the
special needs teachers he knew looked like me : motherly ! Compliment or not ?

trisher Tue 12-Nov-19 09:34:43

I think she's more of a supply teacher ExperiencedNotOld

Ameliarose Tue 12-Nov-19 07:23:48

My mother once told me that even if she didn't know I was a nurse that she'd know because I am so bossy!!

ExperiencedNotOld Mon 11-Nov-19 22:55:45

I think Jo Swinson looks and sounds like an infant class teacher.

SueDonim Mon 11-Nov-19 22:51:10

My DD is a final year medical student. Last week a man mistook her for a nurse and when she told him she wasn't, suggested she was the receptionist. She was not best-pleased!

She can spot a medical student or a Foundation Years doctor from a mile away, though. grin

BlueSapphire Mon 11-Nov-19 21:54:51

I was a teacher too, but have never been asked if I was one, or been told that I looked like one! Perhaps they thought I was too tiny at 5ft nothing!
Mind you I did take over the singing time at the end of DGDs' playgroup once as the regular leader was absent....
And I did notice at our regular hotel in Crete that most of the British women there in the summer holidays were teachers.

People used to think that DH was a police officer. He actually worked for the Foreign Office for most of his working life, and they would say they never would have thought it! Perhaps they were expecting a very posh Civil Servant diplomat type - but he retained his Northern accent all his life. His final job before retirement though was actually the police.

Chardy Mon 11-Nov-19 19:48:04

Why glasses for a teacher?

Scrappydo Mon 11-Nov-19 19:34:10

My daughter is a teacher & is often mistaken for a pupil. ( she is 29)?

Barmeyoldbat Mon 11-Nov-19 19:16:52

Yes I have been asked if I was a teacher by a few and a Social Worker by others. I think its more about being assertive that makes people think that way about me.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 11-Nov-19 19:15:39

I was once told that I looked like a farmer's wife, does that count? I was wearing a khaki coloured parka type coat at the time. Now I'm sure that wasn't a compliment.

Pat123 Mon 11-Nov-19 19:14:45

I have some teacher friends and they are all very bossy and opinionated individuals

grannyactivist Mon 11-Nov-19 19:09:17

My family say I'm like the Pied Piper; wherever I am, if there are children they gravitate towards me. I like children's company and find it very easy to engage with them, but I stand no nonsense. People often guess that I'm a teacher or a social worker - and yes, I've been both.

Camelotclub Mon 11-Nov-19 18:57:05

Not a job or profession but I've twice been taken for a German whilst in a foreign city! Gahhh.

LadyJus Mon 11-Nov-19 18:35:09

Many years ago I was at a disco - remember them?! I was mildly amused to be approached by a gentleman who asked me if I was a teacher.... hand on hip, I looked him straight in the eye and replied "I can be anyone you want me to be"!!

Newquay Mon 11-Nov-19 18:30:45

Oh Greengran! DH is a retired teacher-likes to be in charge and never says one word when 50 will do. Sometimes I ask for just a yes or no answer which stumps him! Lol!

Grammaretto Mon 11-Nov-19 18:25:10

I was once mistaken for a particular headteacher who had been on the tele the night before. I must have resembled her but I hadn't seen the programme and didn't know who my doppelganger was. I doubt it was a compliment.

My DH was looking for someone trespassing at the college of Surgeons and was taken for a consultant. It was his tweed jacket, I think, or maybe his beard.

My son was taken for a doctor at the hospital. He was just visiting. I think it was because he'd googled the symptoms and was spouting a lot of latin words.
Neither DS nor DH are doctors.