Gransnet forums

Chat

Oh my goodness, what IS this noise?

(75 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Mon 11-Nov-19 18:14:26

This is driving me potty. Every day, and at random times, I am hearing a grating/dragging kind of noise which I think is coming from upstairs.

We have a lounge/diner and it sounds to be coming from above the dining area, which is beneath the second bedroom (which has laminate flooring). That bedroom is not in use, other than when my son comes home for the weekend occasionally.

It sounds a bit like a grating noise, or as though someone is dragging a wooden legged chair across a wooden floor (think back to schooldays and someone standing up and pushing their chair backwards with their knees).

If I go upstairs when I hear it, it stops. I can't work out where it's coming from.

Last year, we had a seven month problem with mice, but even at the height of the infestation, I never heard more than scratching/scrabbling noises, so I don't think it is a return of the mice. I've certainly not seen any other signs of them.

I'm getting so paranoid now - thinking something like a Death Watch Beetle infestation is crunching my house up and I'm going to come home from work one day to just a pile of dust!

From my poor description, can anyone offer any ideas as to what this noise can be? Or how we can track it down? I can't call a pest controller to come and listen, because it is just random times - no pattern to them.

HurdyGurdy Tue 19-Nov-19 19:33:14

Thank you all for your suggestions, and some amusing stories.

I have been a modern day Marple, rushing around the house every time I hear the noise, and trying the suggestions made, and I have reached the conclusion that . . . . . .

I still have no idea what it is grin grin

I think it will remain a mystery ever more.

Shropshirelass Fri 15-Nov-19 09:10:29

I had a mouse caught in a trap in the ceiling void, it used to bang and drag round until its demise. I tried to catch it but failed miserably.

Callistemon Wed 13-Nov-19 17:04:06

ate

Callistemon Wed 13-Nov-19 17:03:37

Why did auto-correct change eat to rely?
And I didn't put that apostrophe in Romans

Callistemon Wed 13-Nov-19 17:02:35

Aren't they edible?

Not that I would rely one but the Roman's are them, didn't they?

Glis glis, not Babadook.
I took a glimpse then shut down the page quickly

Framilode Wed 13-Nov-19 16:56:59

My daughter found a baby glis glis on her kitchen floor. It had come through a small gap where a ceiling beam met the plaster. She hand reared it and, when adult, managed to find it a home with another one as they like to live in groups.

Going back to the post, they can certainly make a noise like the poster describes, but I think they are only found in certain areas of Hertfordshire.

Specky Wed 13-Nov-19 15:34:47

Not so cute Sue when they chew through your electrics and set the house on fire shock. Not that it's happened to me but I've heard tell of such things..... Scarier than any old babadook nonsense grin

SueDonim Wed 13-Nov-19 13:41:40

Don't look up Babadook just before bedtime, like I did, Callistemon! shockgrin

Glis glis, tho. Cute!

Callistemon Wed 13-Nov-19 09:59:14

The glis glis, specky

I don't know what a babadook is, must look it up!

JackyB Wed 13-Nov-19 09:44:58

Kircubbin's sea captain reminded me of the Banks' neighbour in Mary Poppins!
I hope you solve the mystery soon, amt.

Specky Wed 13-Nov-19 00:08:47

Callistemon.. I hope you refer to the glis glis because if you think the babadook is sweet I will seriously worry about you smile

Grandyma Tue 12-Nov-19 21:37:42

Really hope this is not the case for you but in our previous house we had rats in the cavity walls and the loft space. They could be quite noisy. I was a nervous wreck - I have a real phobia of all rodents. Maybe worth considering. Good luck with it ?

Baggs Tue 12-Nov-19 16:56:18

Mice gnawing on skirting boards or other wood can sound like very loud grating.

willa45 Tue 12-Nov-19 16:55:28

I can't think of anything but...

I would start by listing the proximity and exact time of day you are hearing these noises. Any sort of pattern could provide a clue as to the source. Also keep your cellphone handy and try to record it.

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 16:41:35

Oh they look so sweet!!

Specky Tue 12-Nov-19 16:35:00

Camelotclub...eek!.. Only the one i hope shock

Camelotclub Tue 12-Nov-19 16:26:41

It's the......Babadook!

Specky Tue 12-Nov-19 16:23:49

Not sure where you live so this is probably a long shot and other explanations much more likely.. But could it be a Glis Glis infestation? They hibernate I believe so if it all goes quiet it might still be the little critters?

Forestflame Tue 12-Nov-19 16:09:05

Kircubbin and others. I too hear an engine like sound at night when my house is quiet. I thought it was my fridge freezer at first, then it dawned on me that I could hear it when I wasn't in the house. My doctor has now referred me to the hospital with suspected tinnitus.

NfkDumpling Tue 12-Nov-19 15:26:41

Wasps can be surprisingly noisy too when they’re building their nests and scraping the wood from the rafters. They don’t do any harm though and add to the insulation so we let them be.

I don’t really care what’s making the noises provided it doesn’t harm the house or cause a leak. Live and let live (or die if its a ghostie)

Granof412 Tue 12-Nov-19 15:13:43

We had this dragging noise in our previous house. It seemed to be coming from one of the bedrooms and it scared me to death. It was only me who heard it, not my husband or teenage children at the time and so, although I knew I was not imagining it, I tried to ignore it as whatever it was couldn’t possibly harm us.
A couple of years afterwards we decided to have an extension to the house and sought the advice of a builder who needed to check the loft. He came out of there really fast saying “did you know you have bats?!”
That explained everything and as they are protected, we let them be.

Esmerelda Tue 12-Nov-19 15:02:47

I live in an upstairs flat and I sometimes hear exactly the noise you are describing (albeit below me rather than above) when my lovely downstairs neighbour turns her water on/off, and also when I'm running my own washing machine, so I'm agreeing with all those who think it's something to do with the plumbing.
However, if it is a creature in the space between the ceiling and upper floor I wish you good luck with the eviction!

Wheniwasyourage Tue 12-Nov-19 14:53:24

We once slept in a room under roosting bats in the roof. It was summer, so they had young, and it sounded as if they were bringing them lumps of coal to eat and then the babies were complaining about it with very audible squeaks and dropping the coal out of their cots. There was a constant racket of bumps, thumps and squeaks all night. So much for bats being impossible to hear...

This does not help with your problem, HurdyGurdy, but your noise did remind me of the bats. I hope you find out what it is soon.

roxy27 Tue 12-Nov-19 14:31:52

My daughter's house also makes sound like a chair dragging across floor. Mostly hear it when it's windy. Think it is the aerial on the side of the house worked loose.

lizzypopbottle Tue 12-Nov-19 14:30:34

Our toilet sometimes makes the most appalling, screeching, grinding, churning noises when we flush but after a short pause when we've left the room. It does it every time we flush for weeks and then stops for weeks and then suddenly begins again. It's weird.