Gransnet forums

Chat

Can anyone explain “woke” to me

(63 Posts)
Flossieturner Thu 14-Nov-19 10:36:52

I am used to feeling that I live in a foreign country, as I am baffled by a lot of the speech that the youngsters use. Quite often the word that used is the total opposite of its original meaning. For example my GC saying the chocolate cake she had was so dirty, meaning delicious.

These words are now appearing in print and leave me totally baffled. I read an article about Boomers at war with Generation Z which I just about get. The problem was the word ‘woke’ which seems to be everywhere.

So wise Boomers, what the heck does it mean?

suziewoozie Thu 14-Nov-19 14:22:56

I think you know what I mean Urm

kittylester Thu 14-Nov-19 16:10:34

But, maybe the rest of us don't, suziewoozie, I don't.

suziewoozie Thu 14-Nov-19 16:16:37

Then you are not very ‘woke’

lemongrove Thu 14-Nov-19 16:23:48

I don’t either.....but oh wait! Could it be that you disagree with Urmstongran on the subject of Brexit Suzie so you decide to be disagreeable about her choice of ‘woke’ subjects?

Merlot ?

Ginny42 Thu 14-Nov-19 16:25:04

I thought I knew what it means, but now I'm not so sure. I'd better not use it, so I don't offend someone. I thought it means awareness of social injustices. How can such a small word have such huge inferences and capacity for giving offence?

JenniferEccles Thu 14-Nov-19 16:27:38

I think Meghan is a classic example of an hypocritical ‘woke ‘ person in that she claims to be so concerned about the planet and ‘climate change’ yet is perfectly happy taking private jets on various holidays.

So she is woke but only when it suits her.

Actually that just about sums up the attitude of them all with the possible exception of the saintly Greta I suppose.

suziewoozie Thu 14-Nov-19 17:00:27

And let’s hear it for Meghan again - anyone would think she was the only example of wokeness in the UK. If you want a better example look at the LDs launch this afternoon of their position on all things trans. That’s serious woke.

suziewoozie Thu 14-Nov-19 17:03:19

Ginny it does mean that but it’s also moved on. If you called me woke I’d not be pleased as in my book, it involves posturing and probably not well informed. But we don’t need to use the word do we?

Gonegirl Thu 14-Nov-19 17:42:26

I can't understand anything in this thread.

Gonegirl Thu 14-Nov-19 17:44:06

*susiewoozie, how old are you?

Gonegirl Thu 14-Nov-19 17:44:25

Gonegirl Thu 14-Nov-19 17:53:09

I think it's considered sick to use words like woke - it slaps and lets people know how aware you are of social issues

Whaaat??? confused

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 20:30:45

grin

Chewbacca Thu 14-Nov-19 20:55:29

Merlot grin agree with you 're opposite of asleep.

suziewoozie Thu 14-Nov-19 20:58:31

Gone I am 23, have 4 dc and six dgc.

BradfordLass72 Fri 15-Nov-19 09:38:35

Any word which baffles can easily be defined by Uncle Google.

All you do is put the word in double speech marks followed by def
And up pops the defintion.

I typed in "woke" def and got this:

alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
"we need to stay angry, and stay woke"

The Urban Dictionary is also a place to look, if you don't mind that it's a no-holds-barred sort of place.

Gonegirl Fri 15-Nov-19 09:51:43

That old Sw?!

Gonegirl Fri 15-Nov-19 09:53:01

Why has everybody got to be angry on the part of everyone else these days?

Urmstongran Fri 15-Nov-19 09:57:24

Seems to be the norm for some these days Gonegirl

Personally I think we’ve become too PC nowadays to the detriment of common sense.

annodomini Fri 15-Nov-19 10:11:18

'Urban Dictionary defines "woke" as being aware, and "knowing what's going on in the community." It also mentions its specific ties to racism and social injustice.'

Urmstongran Fri 15-Nov-19 10:20:57

I still fail to grasp why my example was ridiculed? Maybe I’m just not ‘woke’ enough.
?

humptydumpty Fri 15-Nov-19 10:37:47

I once heard a comment that, as soon as 'oldies' understand slang words, they're abandoned - sounds about right to me, by the time we've understood what 'woke' means it'll have been dropped!

Gonegirl Fri 15-Nov-19 11:53:47

Oh, I thought you meant the oldies got abandoned.

humptydumpty Fri 15-Nov-19 12:22:00

That too maybe!

ladymuck Fri 15-Nov-19 12:35:24

Why don't we just stick to using standard English we can all understand, and leave all these nonsensical corruptions to those who want to be seen as terribly 'with-it'...but are actually just showing what sheep they are?