Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas clothes

(52 Posts)
Lilypops Fri 15-Nov-19 17:56:24

What are you all wearing over Christmas, ? Have you got a couple of new outfits for a definate occasion , or do you buy things to have in just in case something turns up,

MissAdventure Sun 17-Nov-19 23:23:08

That sounds like my idea of hell!
I can't stand being too hot.

tidyskatemum Sun 17-Nov-19 18:51:58

Niece hosts Christmas dinner for about 15 in her not over large house and insists on everyone wearing a Christmas jumper. She also cooks umpteen courses (she's a caterer!). Before we even get to the turkey everyone's face is puce with the heat. How some of the chunkier relatives don't have a heart attack is a miracle.

Greyduster Sun 17-Nov-19 18:39:37

I will buy a new top with a vaguely seasonal theme to wear with black trousers as we are eating out on Christmas Day. The rest of the time it will be my most comfortable usuals, and anything warm enough to cope with Cornish winter beach walks!!

rafichagran Sun 17-Nov-19 18:25:42

Very comfortable on Christmas day as it is just me and my partner, no dressing up at all (lovely).
I will go to daughters and Grandson Boxing day but will not buy anything new as he wants a stunt schooter he is 6 so no dought we will be outside and running with him at the Park.

lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 20:26:31

?hilarious Witzend mind you....had the vicar popped in for a sherry...?

Witzend Sat 16-Nov-19 20:22:45

I had a Christmas 'bra' one year, lemongrove - a joke thing that went over your top.. There was a squeezy ball thing at the back and when you squeezed it, two of those rolled-up paper things that squeak, shot out from the 'nipples'.

We had friends with a very excitable Westie staying and when I put it on (briefly!) and squeezed, there was huge hilarity as Hamish (long gone now, RIP) went mad, barking and jumping up, trying to kill these monstrous squeaky boob-appendages that dared to invade our kitchen.

lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 20:10:34

Don’t know how anyone can stand a Christmas jumper ( any jumper!) Often over heated houses and all the food and drink etc.I would be tearing it off after half an hour ?but I suppose I could wear a Christmas bra....or at least have a bit of holly in my cleavage.Ouch!

jura2 Sat 16-Nov-19 18:10:15

all very informal in our family

Maggiemaybe Sat 16-Nov-19 18:09:26

I’ve got some rather nice Cath Kidston Christmas pyjamas as well, bought in the sales, for when it all gets too much. smile

Maggiemaybe Sat 16-Nov-19 18:05:46

I like to dress up a bit on Christmas Day, so it’ll be something sparkly or one of my red dresses. Nothing new. I do have a couple of Christmas jumpers and earrings, all several years old, that’ll be making an appearance at some time over the season.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 16-Nov-19 17:13:23

I'll wear one of my fancy long-sleeved t-shirts with asymmetrical neckline and a cardigan for when the heating goes off. At my sister's and they like the heating on higher than I do at home.

Daisymae Sat 16-Nov-19 17:06:32

No Christmas jumper here. Last year wore green trousers and tunic from Hobbs. Set off with a rather fetching red scarf! Wearing the outfit when going out of late. Nothing new this year as yet.

glammanana Sat 16-Nov-19 15:28:49

I bought a black light weight 3/4 sleeve jumper from Bon Marche a few years ago with a sparkly Christmas on the front it comes out most years worn with comfy leggings to help with the expanding waistline.
I tend to wear a lot of black which can be dressed up with Christmassy scarfs as and when needed its only one day so I don't spend anything on new clothes if I can get away with it.

SparklyGrandma Sat 16-Nov-19 15:24:55

Saw a sparkly top in Bon Marche today, teal top with silver stars on the top half, long sleeves. I may wear it with black velvet leggings/yoga trousers, straight legged, for comfort on THE day.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Nov-19 15:16:25

The charity shops are all full of Christmas jumpers, so I think people are starting to recycle them.

Oldandverygrey Sat 16-Nov-19 15:13:37

Bought my Christmas jumper yesterday, very tacky, glitzy, but I like it and will enjoy wearing it.

EllanVannin Sat 16-Nov-19 14:36:19

One of my Christmas jumpers I suspect. They're lasting well smile

DanniRae Sat 16-Nov-19 13:25:49

I'll be smart but comfortable on Christmas Day because, although we are home, my daughter is cooking.
Boxing Day we are having 11 for lunch and I am cooking - but it'll be cold meat, mash, veg and pickles - and I will be semi smart with an apron on.
I have a Christmas jumper that I have had for a good few years but it's always too warm to wear it!

travelsafar Sat 16-Nov-19 13:20:37

something comfy and with expanding waistline Ha ha smile
Usually black trousers and a top which reflects Christmas colours, plus a beautiful little robin brooch my best friend gave me one Christmas..
Its the only time i wear a brooch as i think they are a bit old fashioned nowaday. But at christmas we can all get away with a bit of bling!!!!

SueDonim Sat 16-Nov-19 13:13:55

What am I wearing on Christmas Day? Lots! We're going to my DD's house which has a terrible CH system that doesn't work downstairs so it'll be layers, starting thermals, for me. grin

Witzend Sat 16-Nov-19 10:22:52

Christmas Day it'll probably be jeans or leggings and a nice, non-garish Christmas jumper I've had for a few years. I'll be cooking so nothing expensive that's inevitably going to be splashed with fat/gravy, or smeared with little Gdcs' sticky fingers.
I don't do parties as such so no need for sparkly frocks etc. Not at all a dressy-up person TBH.

Doodledog Fri 15-Nov-19 23:59:11

I don't buy anything special, as we never go out on Christmas Day; but I do like to dress up a bit. I haven't really thought about what I'm wearing this year, but it will probably be a dress with a nice necklace and proper shoes. Since I left work, I'm usually in jeans/leggings and biker boots/Docs, so that feels like I've made an effort.

Lilypops Fri 15-Nov-19 23:42:03

Esther1 that sounds nice , like the sound of glittery trousers ,
Mum of mb it was Vonners at 11.38 who said most of us keep our jumpers for the next year ,but a lot of others don't and they end up in landfill,

Esther1 Fri 15-Nov-19 23:38:12

A black tunic top bought last year with a bit of sparkle on it - and just bought today on impulse some really comfortable loose glittery black trousers. Sorted!

mumofmadboys Fri 15-Nov-19 23:32:52

Surely most people who have a Christmas jumper bring it out each year and wear it quite a few times before finally washing it on Jan 6th and putting it away for another year. I have never heard of anyone sending one to landfill after only a couple of wears