Gransnet forums

Chat

Our changing language.

(54 Posts)
Flossieturner Sat 16-Nov-19 09:15:56

I started a thread recently asking for the meaning of ‘woke’
I really enjoyed reading the posts. There were likeminded people who shared my frustration and those who very generously explained the term for me. It completely changed my perception of these new words.

So p, just for fun, what words do you use that would have baffled your grandparents and parents? Conversely what words did you use in your the younger days that would baffle today’s young ones.

Rainwashed Sun 17-Nov-19 12:34:29

Ah yes I see I got it wrong now I’ve googled it.It must have been living over the brush my late Mum used to say and she did originate from Yorkshire. Apparently couples used to jump over a brush if they couldn’t have a church wedding! You learn something new every day! Or to use more modern parlance every day’s a school day!

annodomini Tue 19-Nov-19 11:30:02

'Swinging', as in 'Swinging London'. Where did that go to?
A co-habiting partner, in the Scots vernacular might have referred to as a 'bidie in'. Could be still in use for all I know, in my status as an 'exile'.

Greta Tue 19-Nov-19 11:40:33

English is not my mother tongue but I was taught English at school. I remember having it explained to us that when you meet a person you say "How do you do?" The other person will respond: "How do you do?" I found this most peculiar!