Gransnet forums

Chat

What can I get Mum for Christmas?

(24 Posts)
Alexa Mon 18-Nov-19 17:43:34

She might like a soft dolly to cuddle. I am serious. My own mother did.

BradfordLass72 Sat 16-Nov-19 23:00:07

Can you have a word with the staff at the nursing home and ask them for ideas? They'll know best what she needs or likes.

They might also know a local place who could deliver.

camia Sat 16-Nov-19 19:36:35

I bought my 94 year old mum a clock that gives date, time, day and whether it is morning or afternoon. She finds it very useful and it "anchors" her as she is often dropping off to sleep and can be disorientated. I would also suggest caution buying anything in a delicate material like cashmere if laundry is being done in a care home situation, if mum's is typical they don't seem to have the facilities to cope.

sunseeker Sat 16-Nov-19 19:19:58

Many thanks to those who replied. She already has a "memory board" which my niece made for her, containing photos of her parents, my dad, their wedding day, pictures of my brother and I growing up, our wedding days etc. etc. Her birthday is in December and I always send flowers for that. There is very little space in her room for ornaments or plants and she hates bed jackets! She has always been difficult to buy for so it seems I am back to the hamper full of snacks, chocs and sweets. Thanks again for the suggestions

trisher Sat 16-Nov-19 17:52:43

My mum loved the calendar she was given by my DIL. It had photo for every month and DIL used family photos. I thiink there are a number of sites which offer to do it for you. Not sure they will deliver to Australia.

SirChenjin Sat 16-Nov-19 17:47:24

Does she like manicures? If they don’t provide them in the home perhaps there’s a mobile beautician who might do that and a hand massage?

Photo album - or do one of those online photo books that are then printed with photos and stories from your family’s year

lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 17:39:56

My own DM died at a fairly young age, so have no experience of gifts for somebody of this age Sunseeker but would imagine there isn’t much that she needs.Nightwear ? A new dressing gown maybe, or a cardigan? I think that flowers are wonderful, at any age or beautiful plant?

EllanVannin Sat 16-Nov-19 16:56:44

When my D was in New York a couple of years ago she had a photo album made up of the pics on her phone. It was the loveliest Christmas present yet. Even a pic of my favourite cat on the front of the book.

Esther1 Sat 16-Nov-19 16:35:42

Do you Skype or FaceTime? The Nursing Home would be able to arrange that end, it’s so easy, all they need is somebody with a mobile phone. Our elderly loved ones just cherish our time above anything.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-Nov-19 15:52:12

I’ve just ordered a couple of bed jackets for my bed ridden 101 year old Mum.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Nov-19 15:50:42

How about a digital photo frame thingy, that scrolls through the pictures?

BlueBelle Sat 16-Nov-19 15:49:19

it’s very easy to do online photo books through Snapfish or other ‘free’ apps you simple download the photos and pay the postage the rest is done for you

Flossieturner Sat 16-Nov-19 13:00:26

Cashmere socks because the are warm but lightweight.

Alexa Sat 16-Nov-19 12:49:19

A light weight album of photos of you and what you do. A short caption addressed to her accompanying each photo.

Maybe a good professional photographer could do the photos and arrange the photos in an album if you are too busy..

Urmstongran Sat 16-Nov-19 12:31:27

Things to eat and drink really.

Flowers.

Make up a little photo album of family, or a place in the U.K. she has fond memories of that she can flip through and enjoy?

ninathenana Sat 16-Nov-19 11:35:58

Love that idea jura

jura2 Sat 16-Nov-19 11:32:44

as said, I know, been there- so hard.

So perhaps a letter, hand written, large print- full of memories, with photos attached- and a thank you for being such a great mum.

Calendargirl Sat 16-Nov-19 11:29:23

I know jura2. My mum always begged us not to get her anything, she only lived a few minutes away, I used to go help her get up, have a bath, help her to bed. She appreciated the practical help so much, but if mum is other side of the world, cannot be done.
Hope DD never has to worry about DH and me managing, as she is in Oz.

M0nica Sat 16-Nov-19 11:13:59

My mother only made it to 85 but she loved frilly nightdresses and pretty underwear.

jura2 Sat 16-Nov-19 11:10:36

sunseeker- oh I know. Just thinking about my mum in her latter years- she really really did not want any 'stuff' - be they plants or flowers, or scarves, or jewellery, or .... nothing.

The only thing I could give her was my time- and it was the hardest. So yes, i know. So good for you for doing your best- it is so hard. In my case, I could just jump on a plane and be there in hours- but the distance to OZ is huge. x

sunseeker Sat 16-Nov-19 11:07:59

jura I agree, but I was there for her 90th and also planning to be there next year for her 95th.

Calendargirl Sat 16-Nov-19 11:07:16

My daughter in Australia often sends me flowers or indoor plants via M&S, sometimes an item such as a scarf , but don’t know what might suit your mum over there.

jura2 Sat 16-Nov-19 11:03:44

what she probably wants the most - and it can't be bought. A visit from you.

sunseeker Sat 16-Nov-19 11:02:35

Looking for ideas for Christmas gift for Mum. She is 94 this year, lives in Australia in a nursing home having suffered a stroke. I usually arrange for a hamper to be delivered containing chocs and sweets (she doesn't drink). Ideally I am looking for something that can be ordered online and delivered. Any ideas?