Gransnet forums

Chat

The first time I ever saw....

(79 Posts)
Daddima Sat 16-Nov-19 15:47:34

On a post on a Glasgow forum I saw a mention of University Cafe on Byres Road. This was where I saw my first microwave oven. On a holiday to Carnoustie ( 1968) for the Open I saw my first colour television ( Gary Player won it )

Where did you see your first ‘ whatever’?

Daisyboots Mon 18-Nov-19 20:37:45

The guy with the factory next to ours had one if the first mobile phones in around 1984. It was literally like a brief case (holding the huge battery) with a handset on the top.

Daisyboots Mon 18-Nov-19 21:20:59

Often topics on here or other social media send me off to mr Google and I can soend pages jumping from site to site.
Interesting that the first colour pictures were broadcast from Wimbledon by BBC2 in 1967. By mid 1968 nearly all BBC2 were in colour by 1959 both BBC 1 and ITV were regularly broadcasting in colour.

Grandma2213 Tue 19-Nov-19 01:52:41

I saw my first colour TV when I was working for Telehire in North Wales. I had to do an evening shift to demonstrate it though I don't remember many people being interested in it. Not surprising really as even those with black and white TVs could hardly get a signal if they lived in the mountain villages! There was a demonstration programme on in the evening about how a car engine worked which I thought was a very odd choice to show the wonders of colour. That was either late 1967 or early 1968 I think.