Gransnet forums

Chat

Where have all our old friends gone?

(167 Posts)
grapefruitpip Sat 16-Nov-19 19:04:23

It's so sad when special people disappear. Any news on the recently departed?

eazybee Mon 18-Nov-19 09:16:39

There are some very selective memories on here. I remember the sharp reprimand to someone who mistakenly opened a long-running thread, (and also a very kindly one later when another unsuspecting poster did likewise.)
There was an incident some months ago when Gransnet HQ had to intervene to stop a threat by long-standing posters on a particular thread to blackball and cold-shoulder members whose opinions were not acceptable to them. The inference was that these members had no right to read and/or comment on the posts on this particular thread, even though unpleasant and unsubstantiated accusations were being made about said members.

MawB Mon 18-Nov-19 09:08:16

it was explained nicely that to have two Good Morning threads was confusing.
Yes it was explained nicely long after Kittylesters initial response to me

It was actually explained at the time (1 or even 2 years or so ago?) that somebody started a parallel thread which led to some confusion. The poster concerned took a certain amount of umbrage and Mick moved his thread from Gransnet Café to Chat to try to simplify it.
However, such is life and worse things happen at sea.

Urmstongran Mon 18-Nov-19 09:02:54

Oh dear. My misunderstanding kitty

I didn’t mean anything other than posts on this thread from people who seemed very cross last night.

I was not referring to Gabriella

I shall bow out of this thread now - best not to muddy the waters!!

MaizieD Mon 18-Nov-19 09:01:11

I wasn't holding my breath in distress, gfp, so I'll pass on the 'relief' if you don't mind...

grapefruitpip Mon 18-Nov-19 08:49:45

The person who flounced off has re entered the fray so we can all breathe a huge sigh of relief.

kittylester Mon 18-Nov-19 08:44:04

Anyway, the incident re the Good Morning Thread was yonks ago.

Urmstongran Mon 18-Nov-19 08:42:51

Nah, more I think that the lady doth protest too much

kittylester Mon 18-Nov-19 08:08:41

Thank you for the kind comments but it maybe indicates that we are a clique.

kittylester Mon 18-Nov-19 07:42:54

annepl, it is a matter of fact that some of us have been here for a long time and, therefore, 'know' each other a little! You cant argue with that fact however hard you try.

annep1 Sun 17-Nov-19 23:38:15

Rafichagran thanks. I maybe didn't word it well.

annep1 Sun 17-Nov-19 22:32:27

And , annepl, it's a bit rude joining a long standing 'group' without being polite enough to find out how things operate!

I call this rude Maw. She also talked of members having been around a long time. Not sounding very inclusive imo.
And no, if someone has been rude to me unjustly I won't let it go.

it was explained nicely that to have two Good Morning threads was confusing.
Yes it was explained nicely long after Kittylesters initial response to me.

It's not difficult in life to treat people as you should.

I'm beginning to understand why Gabriella left. I'm afraid real life is difficult enough without giving myself the stress caused by rudeness on GN.

MawB Sun 17-Nov-19 22:00:04

And as I am clearly missing something, exactly what part of Kittylester’s post was rude ?

Urmstongran Sun 17-Nov-19 21:59:07

Me neither. I think some on here are getting tetchy and spoiling for a fight.

Nanight.
?

MawB Sun 17-Nov-19 21:58:03

Oh for goodness sake annep1 can’t you let this go? Storms and teacups don’t come close.
Kittylester is one of the kindest and fairest of people and it was explained nicely that to have two Good Morning threads was confusing. If you or anybody else wants to start one (the tradition is to say where you are and what the weather is like) please feel free.
But give it another name.
In the same way SoopsKitchen was started by Soop as a safe haven from all the cut and thrust and raised tempers of some of the political threads, by all means start your own, but don’t call it Soopskitchen.

Callistemon Sun 17-Nov-19 21:46:50

I don't wish to argue, but I have never found kittylester rude at all to anyone.

Ps I am not a regular contributor to the GM thread either, just occasionally.

annep1 Sun 17-Nov-19 21:36:41

Let me clarify, Someone was offended (can't remember who) at being told they shouldn't be starting a Good Morning post. I posted a supportive post as I don't like people being offended. Perhaps it could have been explained nicely that a particular person usually did this every morning.
NanKate you may well agree with Kittylester that it has become a tradition for Mick to start it, but no one can poosibly think that her way of speaking to me was other than extremely rude and made the GM thread sound very clique-ish (for want of a better word) indeed and not at all welcoming.
In my branch of U3A some members were told recently that they needed to make new members feel welcome. I think the same applies to GN.

Callistemon Sun 17-Nov-19 21:35:16

But Mick is usually up very early anyway (earlier than me usually).

Callistemon Sun 17-Nov-19 21:33:34

annep and others as it's confusing for two threads to have the same name, perhaps starting a Hello or similar thread would be in order each day if another poster wished to do that?

Callistemon Sun 17-Nov-19 21:30:04

Plagiarise

Stop autocorrecting!

Callistemon Sun 17-Nov-19 21:28:59

grapefruitpip if you want to start Ploop's Kitchen you will have to change your username (again!) to Ploop.
However, you may not want to plagiarism, so you could call it "Ploop's Sitting Room" or similar.

Good luck.

rafichagran Sun 17-Nov-19 20:09:33

Annep Sorry if I misunderstood what you said.

moggie57 Sun 17-Nov-19 19:58:17

graperuitpip... know any one recently deceased with a purple cardigan?

NanKate Sun 17-Nov-19 19:51:27

The GM thread in my opinion is one of the most friendly and non clique type thread. I have made some virtual friends and met some of the contributors. I agree with Kitty that it has become a tradition for Mick to start the thread.

I would be very sad if Mick read this thread and felt he was the centre of this squabble. Why can’t we big hearted enough to call it a day and keep the status quo?

TerriBull Sun 17-Nov-19 19:50:57

POGS hasn't been around for a while, I miss her posts.

I guess like everyone, individual GN members have things going on in their lives that preoccupy them and take precedence over posting.

Hope everything is okay with those already mentioned.

annep1 Sun 17-Nov-19 18:57:26

And , annepl, it's a bit rude joining a long standing 'group' without being polite enough to find out how things operate!
Are you for real kittylester We're talking about a GM thread. Lol.
Perhaps you should have an application form and vet potential members of your exclusive "group".