Gransnet forums

Chat

To(i)let or not to (i) let, that is the question.

(271 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sun 17-Nov-19 13:49:49

Tomorrow I am having a new boiler installed.
When the company director (that's who I was told to expect) called last week to inspect and quote, he asked to use the loo.
I have just the one bathroom and dislike workmen using it but said yes anyway.
He was in there for a long peeeee and neither flushed nor used the basin and hand towel.
Tomorrow I'll give them lunch money (as I would anyway) and ask the men to use the hotel or a cafe in town which is a short walk away.
I don't like the idea of them not washing hands and touching countertops, handles and visible kitchen equipment but they tend to put tools and work stuff on the floor then on kitchen work surfaces even though the boiler is in a small utility room.
Do those of you with just one loo, mind workmen or others not in your family or friends circle, using those facilities?

suziewoozie Tue 19-Nov-19 16:46:33

varian won’t get an apology - she’s a LibDem

Lostmyglassesxx Tue 19-Nov-19 17:39:08

Umm ... lunch money ?
Anyway re the loo .they need to go as they are human .. justgo in after and spray etc.. and if they don’t flush make a joke of it ..They aren’t living with you permanently ...

Magrithea Fri 22-Nov-19 12:50:38

We are fortunate to have a downstairs loo so have no problem with anyone using it! when we had it refurbished a couple of years ago we even gave the fitter a key to come in and do it while we were away!

I am puzzled by your seeming generosity to anyone who calls at your house though @GabriellaG - giving sandwiches and drinks to delivery drivers?!! I always offer tea/coffee to workmen, window cleaner, etc but never give them lunch! When we had the outside of the house repainted they brought their own ready meals and came into the kitchen to heat them in the microwave!

MamaCaz Fri 22-Nov-19 18:45:36

Magrithea
I am puzzled by your seeming generosity to anyone who calls at your house though @GabriellaG -

Just so you know, it seems that Gabriella has left again, and has no intention of returning, so she isn't likely to see your comment. She said a final goodbye on the Good Morning Friday thead earlier today.

Tangerine Fri 22-Nov-19 19:41:23

If you have a workman/woman in and he or she has travelled a long way to get to your home, why shouldn't they use your loo?

I think it would be unreasonable to refuse.

If they're with you for several hours, they're going to need to use the loo at some point.

Yes, I'd expect the loo to be left in clean condition. I've never had anyone not leave the loo in a clean condition.

Somebody said they wouldn't leave contractors in the house without being there too. I've allowed contractors in my home without being in the house and there has never been a problem.

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 20:22:18

What I want to know is do these workmen not have mothers, partners, wives who insist on putting down the lid, flushing the loo and washing their hands after spending a penny or two?

Not putting down the lid is bad feng shui: old Chinese proverb sys if you do not put the lid down you will lose all your money.

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 20:23:03

Insist on them putting down the lid etc!!

I know women do it smile

NanaandGrampy Fri 22-Nov-19 21:41:55

It’s ok Mamacaz , Gabriella flounced off via the kitchen last time . So I expect she’ll be back when she’s recovered !

SirChenjin Fri 22-Nov-19 21:58:17

I live with 3 males who attempt to defend the loo seat being left up by claiming that I should return it to its raised position after I’ve used it to suit the majority hmm

M0nica Fri 22-Nov-19 23:12:46

I have had up to 4 workmen at a time in the house, and all over it, for the last 10 days and their behaviour in every way has been impeccable. I have never ever had a workman who wasn't.

They are just ordinary people like us.

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 23:15:17

Oooh!
No!!!

Tell them Old Chinese Proverb:

Leave the loo seat up and you will flush all your money away

SirChenjin Sat 23-Nov-19 09:37:59

I will be repeating that the next time I have ‘the loo seat must be put down’ conversation Callistemon!

Callistemon Sat 23-Nov-19 12:28:09

I'm not sure that it works but don't tell them that!

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Nov-19 09:53:30

It's not so much the loo seat as the lid that I want put down before the loo is flushed, because it's been proven that the contents of the loo get sprayed in minute droplets within a 6 foot radius with the force of the flush, covering handle, toothbrush, towels and anything else in the vicinity.

Callistemon Sun 24-Nov-19 09:55:53

Yes, I meant lid!!

eazybee Sun 24-Nov-19 10:41:17

Spray in a six foot radius!
I don't think my en-suite, which i use all the time, is that big, but as I have just had a fairly extensive health check and been pronounced as being in good health, perhaps this helps towards developing immunity?

eazybee Sun 24-Nov-19 10:42:00

I not i

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Nov-19 10:58:45

www.bustle.com/p/why-you-should-never-flush-the-toilet-with-the-lid-up-40228

JenniferEccles Sun 24-Nov-19 11:14:58

Oh Sparklefiz how I agree with you! It really shocks me how few women put the lid down in public toilets as well as visitors to my house.

I read years ago about how unhygienic it is to leave the lid up but honestly it’s common sense isn’t it?

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Nov-19 12:13:19

Totally agree JenniferEccles