Gransnet forums

Chat

appraisal/ assessment in public sector workplace

(29 Posts)
Fennel Sun 17-Nov-19 20:40:04

When I retired in the 90s this was just starting. We had to fill in daily forms about how much time we spent in the office, driving around, coffee and toilet breaks etc. I hated it - it seemed like they didn't trust us.
One of our daughters is a teacher (20 years) and rang today to say she was worried because she was being checked and observed because of her performance in one lesson where she wasn't told that the observer wasn't satisfied.
This appraisal thing seems to be everywhere - not long ago I was asked for my opinion of my healthcare provider. Where does it come from?
I'm so glad not to be working in the public sector now.

Fennel Mon 18-Nov-19 12:16:45

GagaJo
"Exactly. It's so obvious, that any teacher whose students get good results must be a good teacher. But if you cost too much, you're drummed out regardless."
I hope this isn't the case with our daughter, Her pupils had excellent results in the last O and A levels, and she's on a good salary.
Thanks for other more reassuring replies.
She's beginning to think of a change of career - she could go back into hospital lab. work, but that would mean a drop in income and she has a big mortgage.
We do worry about them, but that doesn't help.

ayse Mon 18-Nov-19 15:57:41

As a civil servant in the 1980s, we had a Job Appraisal Review (JAR) annually. When performance pay was introduced the system became more rigorous and evidence based. Promotion opportunities depended on these reviews as did pay. Currently I know the National Audit Office operates as similar system.

Generally it was a fair system and an opportunity to put in future development plans to broaden experience and knowledge or to begin dismissal procedures. As for all systems it depends on a level playing field and a minimisation of favouritism.

Calendargirl Mon 18-Nov-19 16:08:05

Witzend

Yes, that sort of training took place also in the bank where I worked. No end of time wasted on it by staff, the answers were forgotten as soon as you exited out. You always seemed to be doing the blessed stuff, often in between serving customers.
What a farce!