Gransnet forums

Chat

I wish I had............

(48 Posts)
NanKate Mon 18-Nov-19 21:54:08

Many years ago on our 25th Wedding Anniversary we went for lunch and a walk round a lovely NT Gardens. We took photos of each other and then I spotted a chap sitting on a bench and I was just about to ask him to take a photo of us when I realised it was Terry O’Neil the famous photographer (he died yesterday 17 Nov) I thought he might refuse me so I never asked, what a shame.

Do you have any regrets ?

BusterTank Tue 19-Nov-19 15:02:37

Yes alot , I think most people do .

henetha Tue 19-Nov-19 15:20:30

I wish I'd had more children. Four instead of just two.

sharon103 Tue 19-Nov-19 15:53:40

I wish I had known then what I know now.

Nonnie Tue 19-Nov-19 16:27:32

DH was telling me the other day that he was on a 'jolly' with his job and met this guy who was really interesting and had a great idea. DH thought 'this will never work'. It was Tim Berners-Lee! Yes, he regrets not taking it on board.

I regret not being able to go and speak to strangers for most of my life. I can now.

chrissyh Tue 19-Nov-19 16:56:16

I regret laying awake at night worrying about my children who have grown up to be hardworking, happy and kind people.

Grammaretto Tue 19-Nov-19 17:01:19

But Chrissyh, if you hadn't worried they might have gone off the rails! smile

grapefruitpip Tue 19-Nov-19 17:07:53

I wish I had gone to Oz with the gorgeous man.

Flytothestars Tue 19-Nov-19 17:15:49

I should have said 'yes' more often and to hell with the consequences!

gillyknits Tue 19-Nov-19 17:25:17

Wish I’d learned to play the piano.

EllanVannin Tue 19-Nov-19 17:32:06

I wish I had valued certain things in the past. While busy with the family etc. an aunt of mine had sent me a signed photograph of The Who, mid 60's as my cousin was their " roadie " at the time. I never knew where that photo ended up and it's only recently that I've been thinking about it.

I also dumped 20 odd black bags of my late SiL's clothes that she wore on cruises etc. Heavily beaded flapper dresses from the 30's, Jaeger suits, ankle-strap shoes, you name it. There was no Ebay in those days and the clothes were 30's/40's summer dresses. I must have thrown £££'s away !

Ellianne Tue 19-Nov-19 17:37:58

Wish I had been naughtier growing up instead of being goodie goodie.

TrazzerMc Tue 19-Nov-19 17:47:53

Yes , we once had the opportunity through American Express to attend a charity gala dinner that Prince Charles and Princess Diana would be guests of honour at. We were only young and simply could not afford to spend hundreds of pounds on tickets let alone fancy attire to wear . I do regret it now but honestly we needed to use the money for our fledgling business.

mrswoo Tue 19-Nov-19 17:51:11

I wish:
I’d learnt to ride a bike and learnt to play the piano.

I wish:
I’d found out more about my parent’s lives, when they were young, before they had me. It’s too late now.

HillyN Tue 19-Nov-19 20:57:09

I wish I had asked my grandmother about the family Bible, before she died. My sister and I remember her showing us the photos of our family in it when we were girls (she added our school photos to it while we were on holiday with her), not realising our parents knew nothing of its existence. When she died it wasn't among her possessions and no-one knew what happened to it.

Callistemon Tue 19-Nov-19 21:35:31

I wish
I'd carried on with piano lessons
And hadn't given up the oboe after two lessons (couldn't get any sound out of it)
Got the Beatles autographs before they were famous (could be worth something now)

Jennyluck Tue 19-Nov-19 21:38:08

My biggest regret is falling out with my eldest son ???

jeanio Tue 19-Nov-19 22:01:16

I wish I could turn back time.
I wish I had more willpower.

gulligranny Tue 19-Nov-19 22:09:03

Oh Ellianne, how that resonates with me! I was such a good little girl/non-combative teenager. I wish I had defied my dad and moved out of home to share a flat with a friend when I was 22. Instead, she went to Canada and I went on living with Mum & Dad and eventually married an entirely unsuitable man just to legitimately get away from my parents' loving concern for me, their only child, who had almost died in infancy and of whom they were over-protective.

AllotmentLil Tue 19-Nov-19 22:21:48

Oh Jennyluck I’m so sorry.
I wish I’d been kinder to my mother ...

DanniRae Tue 19-Nov-19 22:52:08

I was a virgin when I married and now think maybe I could have been a bit more adventurous........if you get my drift shock

oldgaijin Tue 19-Nov-19 23:36:54

I wish I’d stood up to my bully boy father and not meekly done as he demanded. In later life I do exactly as I want and am having fun while there is still time!

Molly10 Wed 20-Nov-19 11:38:06

I try not to regret but learn from my misjudgements.

What a great shame Nankate. I'm sure you wouldn't have been refused. It would have been a lovely memory and maybe a photo with him too.