Gransnet forums

Chat

Apologies

(78 Posts)
hillwalker70 Tue 19-Nov-19 06:33:11

I apologise unreservedly for my posts yesterday, particularly to Maggie tulliver whose thread I fear I hi jacked. My question was genuine but I realise we are all shaped by life experiences and so all different. I understood this was a Forum of adults discussing adult issues and failed to understand my description of sex would upset, that was not my intention.

henetha Tue 19-Nov-19 10:32:09

As a country bumpkin, I'm probably considered very unworldly, Alexa. But I'll continue to add my inferior opinions now and then, if you don't mind!

Alexa Tue 19-Nov-19 10:53:34

I guessed my post would get that response.

My reply to insulted objectors is * if the cap fits, wear it *.

Alexa Tue 19-Nov-19 11:03:29

MawB , as I have written previously, gransnet's strength is when someone has a personal or practical problem , and for general companionship.

There are forums other than gransnet for objective discussions.

Sara65 Tue 19-Nov-19 11:05:56

Alexa

How very rude!

Izabella Tue 19-Nov-19 11:09:09

I may have a different perspective Alexa I realise my intellect is rapidly diminishing these days due to my alzheimers, but I have arts and science degrees and am educated up to Masters level and also have many vocational practitioner qualifications. I am the first of my coalfield family to have achieved university education .

Throughout my life and career I have found that the spirit, compassion and support of many who cannot read and write (just to give one example) and those not afforded my opportunities in life, has been amazing. When a patient some years ago recovering from potentially life threatening surgery and its implications for my future, it was the ward domestic I found to be an amazing comfort. Fellow clinicians with all the bells and ribbons of their trade - far less so.

There is something positive in everyone, no matter what their status is on life's journey. Sometimes it just requires a little more enquiry.

I hope this makes sense. ~I have problems now in making myself as clear as I once did.

Alexa Tue 19-Nov-19 11:18:30

Perhaps you will find, Izabella, your memory will be all the ore apt for ideas and feelings while the short term memory decreases.

Forgettng words is a problem for me as my ideas are verbally labelled. Often someone kindly supplies a word I am searching for .

M0nica Tue 19-Nov-19 11:20:05

I just want to know what these more intellectual forums are.

janeainsworth Tue 19-Nov-19 13:27:05

That’s a lovely post Izabella, thank you

Alexa why do you equate intellectualism with tolerance of coarseness of expression?

And what do you mean by ‘performative speech errors’?

#obviouslynotanintellectual

petra Tue 19-Nov-19 13:35:21

janeainswoth
I'm so glad you asked ? As someone who doesn't have an 'ology' to her name I thought oh no, something else that's passed me by

Sara65 Tue 19-Nov-19 15:07:59

Petra

You and me both☹️

kittylester Tue 19-Nov-19 15:19:10

And me!! grin

lemongrove Tue 19-Nov-19 15:33:24

Will you all please stop asking questions of Alexa you know full well that any Alexa in the room never shuts up once you ask it something.?

M0nica Tue 19-Nov-19 15:42:02

Alexa strikes me as being intellectually arrogant, not an attractive trait, although I am conscience that this might be the pot calling the kettle black.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Nov-19 15:44:22

Bloody hell Alexa your superior intellect obviously doesn’t equate with good manners Rude nasty judgemental post I d rather read Hillwalkers post any day

Sara65 Tue 19-Nov-19 15:50:59

Bluebelle

Well at least we can all understand it

Alexa Tue 19-Nov-19 17:55:43

Oldwoman you are right of course that is only my impression My "intellectual prowess" is nothing but my interest in trying to keep an objective attitude. I wish more of the others did so but wishing will not do.
And I think of everyone as my equal in discussions among equals therefore I will not patronise anyone here .

I will not apologise , Lisagran, as I have not insulted anyone .

Callistemon Tue 19-Nov-19 17:58:14

lemongrove grin

We have been known to catch out Alexa before now- she did not know shock (and we knew the answers!)

Fennel Tue 19-Nov-19 17:59:31

@ Hillwalker - a genuine apology which I accept.
Although I wasn't actually offended, just puzzled.

Alexa Tue 19-Nov-19 18:03:23

Janeainsworth, this is interesting. You wrote: And what do you mean by ‘performative speech errors’?

Sorry, I am rather given to being too brief. I mean some idea may be well meant and true, but that's not sufficient justification for expressing it. We had a discussion about this around my kitchen table at the weekend so it's in the forefront of my mind.

Callistemon Tue 19-Nov-19 18:06:52

performative speech errors
I'm so glad others have asked the question as I didn't want to appear thick intellectually challenged.

Ologies may not include errors in speech.

Alexa Tue 19-Nov-19 18:08:55

Callistemon, Ilike to be informed by someone who knows more than me and I like to be challenged by someone whose ideas clash with mine.

Callistemon Tue 19-Nov-19 18:12:15

Just to clarify - I wasn't referring to you Alexa in my earlier post - I was responding to lemongrove about the other Alexa, she who is supposed to know everything.
Had I meant you I would have highlighted your name.

lemongrove Tue 19-Nov-19 18:18:16

In that case Alexa you have come to the right place ??

Greeneyedgirl Tue 19-Nov-19 18:52:30

Well, I think it may be time to start a new branch of GN for those with a high IQ.

How about Intellectual Grans Need Only Really Apply, No Thickos.

Whatya think?

sodapop Tue 19-Nov-19 19:36:41

Like it Greeneyedgirl grin