Gransnet forums

Chat

What were you not allowed to do as a child because it 'wasn't nice'?

(245 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 22:20:54

I've just been looking at a Monty Python sketch, and it reminded me that I was not allowed to watch it when I was young because my mum thought it wasn't nice.

(My dad loved it!)

Nanny41 Thu 21-Nov-19 17:48:23

Isnt wasnt nice to say "hate" but "loathe" was allowed.
On the bus coming home from School we couldnt take our hats off in case there was a prefect on the bus, then we would be reported.Oh the shame of it, think if things were so simple these days!

Suki70 Thu 21-Nov-19 18:04:57

Once, while staying at our DD's house I said ,"I hate maggots". Our GS , then aged four, turned to me and said pompously, "We don't use the word hate in this house". That put me in my place.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Nov-19 18:06:05

grin

MamaCaz Thu 21-Nov-19 18:36:28

Suki, that reminds me - my OH has been reprimanded several times by two of our young grandchildren for saying 'shut up', because that isn't allowed in their house grin

Nanna58 Thu 21-Nov-19 19:47:26

No navy school knickers next to my skin because that ‘ wasn’t nice!’ so I had to wear another white pair underneath Thrush a constant companion!

MissAdventure Thu 21-Nov-19 19:49:05

I wonder where that idea came from?

Nanna58 Thu 21-Nov-19 20:00:14

My nan! That was just one of the ‘not nice’ things. Another was not to eat a banana without using a knife and fork- what on earth could she have imagined eating it the other way could have resembled???

Suki70 Thu 21-Nov-19 21:43:10

Nanna58 It easn't only your nan who thought that about navy knickers. When my parents received the uniform list before I went to secondary school, navy knickers plus white liners were there. Not that at school anyone ever checked!

Suki70 Thu 21-Nov-19 21:44:05

wasn't not easn't!

Chewbacca Thu 21-Nov-19 21:49:59

Was anyone else taught to curtsey when they were a child? I have a clear memory of my grandmother telling me that polite little girls should be able to curtsey when introduced to their elders (mainly a maiden aunt and a seriously bad tempered uncle). I can remember being taught how to hold my skirt/dress out at the sides and putting my right leg behind me whilst bobbing down! Or was I just the victim of a 1950s family practical joke? grin

MissAdventure Thu 21-Nov-19 22:41:54

Ever been had? grin
My mum was strict, but not quite that bad.

jaynewhitehead1 Thu 21-Nov-19 22:47:05

Be moody or answer anyone rudely! or bite my nails that really wasn't acceptable or "nice"

Callistemon Thu 21-Nov-19 22:53:42

I had to learn to curtsey - I'd completely forgotten that. I think I was meeting someone important but can't remember who so they can't have been that important. grin
It certainly wasn't royalty.

Don't ask me to do it now.

grandMattie Fri 22-Nov-19 10:11:01

Whistle - too unladylike!

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 10:14:02

Being poor or hard up did not mean someone was common, to those posters who may think it was the same thing.

People could be better off or rich and still be common apparently!

MamaCaz Fri 22-Nov-19 10:18:40

Chewbacca
Was anyone else taught to curtsey when they were a child?

I remember being taught to do that at infant school in about '66.
We were never told - at least as far as I remember - when we might ever need to do it, but from reading fairy tales, I imagined it was for if/when we met a queen. As yet, I've not needed this skill, but you never know ... grin

storynanny Fri 22-Nov-19 11:37:02

Callistemon absolutely! My mother had her own batty ideas of “ common” basically anything she personally didn’t like! You could have been a rich Roman Catholic but according to my mother you were still “ common” and a teacher living in a council house still “ common”. Looking back she was bonkers! Ridiculous thing is though that if you were so inclined you could have described her family as a child as “ common” as they were working class and in rented tied accommodation ( like everyone working for the railways in those days!) she would have denied it of course as she didn’t have her criteria applied! Eg she was white and went to a Church of England!

Violettham Fri 22-Nov-19 12:15:55

Dont crunch sweets Dont kick the back of other peoples seats= Cinema/buses ( Dont stand up on bicycle pedals ( always thought my Dad would either see me or just know)

Magrithea Fri 22-Nov-19 12:39:52

Whistle - my Mum said it would make Our Lady cry (I was brought up Catholic). I learnt to whistle anyway!!

Squiffy Fri 22-Nov-19 13:07:33

So many of these apply to me, but I've just remembered a couple of school 'Don'ts'.

We weren't allowed to wear long white socks because, apparently, girls who frequented coffee bars wore them!! Long fawn or navy were OK confused - not sure where we girls who wore them were supposed to frequent!

In the Sixth Form we were allowed to wear non-uniform dresses, but not sleeveless as that was considered very unseemly!

Lilylaundry Fri 22-Nov-19 14:53:49

Girls have twinkles, boys have dinkles.

BUT never say those words out loud! They refer to rude parts.

That joyous piece of 1950s sex education helped my two sisters and I enormously along the rocky path of life . confused

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 14:58:02

My mother was not in the slightest bit bonkers storynanny..

I think common would have been someone rather flash, large earrings, too much red lipstick and a fag hanging out of their mouth, the male being rather a spiv type. They wouldn't have had a clue about table manners.
They would show off a lot in public.

Our neighbours were like that and he made a fortune in the war on the black market so they moved to a large house at the posh end of town.
They were still common though, apparently.

MamaCaz Fri 22-Nov-19 17:50:10

Not to clap myself!

(I am reminded of this whenever I watch a gameshow and see contestants doing it.)

MamaCaz Fri 22-Nov-19 17:55:42

Or rather, if I am going to be pedantic with myself, that should simply have been 'to clap myself', without the 'not'!

janipat Fri 22-Nov-19 19:28:12

oh Squiffy you've reminded me of the no sleeveless dresses rule in sixth form. I asked a teacher why and was informed "the curves of your shoulders resemble the curves of your bust and are therefore seductive" Apparently God would have been most offended if I'd gone to the Church service without a cardigan covering them up!