Gransnet forums

Chat

What were you not allowed to do as a child because it 'wasn't nice'?

(244 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 22:20:54

I've just been looking at a Monty Python sketch, and it reminded me that I was not allowed to watch it when I was young because my mum thought it wasn't nice.

(My dad loved it!)

Luckygirl Tue 19-Nov-19 22:23:50

Drop my 'aitches - the maternal wrath would descend.

Listen to 78 of Jake Thackeray!

Eat in the street - especially if in school uniform.

GagaJo Tue 19-Nov-19 22:26:11

Whisper. Lunacy I know, but my mum had a real thing about it.

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 22:26:40

I wasn't allowed to meet anyone if it was near a certain pub (as a teen) because that wasn't nice, even though it was at a crossroads, right in the middle of all 4 roads.

morethan2 Tue 19-Nov-19 22:26:53

I wasn’t allowed to
have my ears pierced

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 22:27:41

We were most definitely not allowed to say "Liar".
We only told fibs in our house.

merlotgran Tue 19-Nov-19 22:31:37

Eat in the street.
Go to the cinema on a Sunday.

lemongrove Tue 19-Nov-19 22:32:29

Eat in the street/ on public transport either in or out of school uniform
Pointing at anything ( buildings just as much as people...bizarrely)
Being too loud ( noisy conversation.....somebody might look!)
When in cafes/buses etc.
Eat every morsel on the plate/ scrape the plate ( a mouthful had to be left for Miss Manners.)

lemongrove Tue 19-Nov-19 22:33:12

MissA ?

Chewbacca Tue 19-Nov-19 22:42:46

Not allowed to wear red shoes. Apparently, only "prossies" wear red shoes. angry

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 22:44:33

I wasn't allowed to wear long wellies, because they didn't look nice on my spindly legs.

Also, I wasn't allowed to wear navy blue knickers.

Auntieflo Tue 19-Nov-19 22:46:45

Allowed to watch TV, if we had been to the cinema, in the afternoon.

Chewbacca Tue 19-Nov-19 22:48:21

No navy blue knickers MissA? You should have let me know, I'd have given you some of mine. I was made to wear them for almost the whole of my childhood.

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Nov-19 22:49:41

I wasn’t allowed to wear jeans. I did buy some when I got a Saturday job but tried not to wear them near home as it always caused problems!

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 22:50:09

Well, it wouldn't have mattered, because we weren't allowed to "cock our legs about" or roll on the floor, either, so nobody would have seen them.

kircubbin2000 Tue 19-Nov-19 22:54:06

Not allowed to play with certain people.Even at 17 my mother wouldn't let me go into a flat with a friend because of what she knew of her father. I was too late to get another flatshare and had a lonely bedsit instead.

Suki70 Tue 19-Nov-19 22:56:46

chewbacca Oh my goodness, I had several pairs of red shoes when in my teens and twenties!
My mother wouldn't let me speak in the local Black Country dialect but the accent was all right.

sharon103 Tue 19-Nov-19 22:59:50

My mum and dad must have been pretty easy. No not allowed's that I can think of.

B9exchange Tue 19-Nov-19 23:00:25

No eating in the street or on public transport. Not to go to school without a hat. On the other hand we were allowed to go out for the day and play in the local stream, completely unsupervised, from the age of 5!

DoraMarr Tue 19-Nov-19 23:01:43

Make a fuss in public. When I was eight my brother shut my fingers in the car door and I wasn’t allowed to cry until I was in the house.
Eat in the street. Actually, this was a reportable offence at school too- worth a detention. As was removing our hats and our gloves. We weren’t supposed to talk to the boys from the boys’ school either.

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 23:04:35

Sorry Dora but I think that takes the biscuit, having to wait until you were home to "make a fuss!" grin

gillybob Tue 19-Nov-19 23:07:08

Not allowed navy knickers (felt so stupid in my old granny flowery things).
Not allowed to have my friends over when my dad was in.
Not allowed to touch my bum or anywhere remotely “rude”
Not allowed to use names for “rude” body parts
Not allowed to stay up past very strict bedtime, unless dad was on night shift ...hurray....in which case the rules went out the window.
Not allowed to “show off”
Not allowed to whisper (whispering is back biting and back biting is telling lies???? confused )
Not allowed to sit on the wall outside the shops.
Not allowed to stay over at my friends unless I took my sister too.

B9exchange Tue 19-Nov-19 23:09:20

Just remembered another one - don't sit on a radiator, all sorts of dire threats of what might ensue!

MissAdventure Tue 19-Nov-19 23:13:17

I wasn't allowed to go upstairs on the school bus, because the "rough" kids went up there, and more importantly my socks would get filthy.

gillybob Tue 19-Nov-19 23:17:13

I was one of the “rough kids” from the council estate MissA grin