Gransnet forums

Chat

Fav perfumes past or present

(72 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 24-Nov-19 17:55:44

I used to love Jovian musk oil as a teenager but my favs at the moment are black opium YSL Sensual by Estée Lauder
.Midnight Rose by Lancôme

humptydumpty Tue 26-Nov-19 15:49:43

Givenchy Organza is lovely - found it through one of those scrape-off perfume testers in the Sunday Times magazine - remeber those?

timetogo2016 Tue 26-Nov-19 15:21:28

Loved Estee Lauder when young.
Now it`s CKin2u and DKNY.

NanaandGrampy Tue 26-Nov-19 14:33:06

I wear perfume every day and it depends on how I want to feel.

Shalimar by Guerlain in my absolute favourite and my go to perfume if I want to feel confident.

I love Angel by Mugler - its top nots are chocolate and vailla - what's not to like? LOL

For day to day I like Obsession by Calvin Kline, Coco by Chanel and Emporio Armani .

gulligranny Tue 26-Nov-19 13:48:33

I have been using Opium for years, but in my 20s/30s I loved Femme, Cabochard, Mitsouko and Quadrille. When I didn't have much money I liked Aqua Manda, something called L.A. and Vanderbilt.

Thorntrees Tue 26-Nov-19 13:37:57

My favourite is Chanel No5, it has got very expensive but DH is happy to buy it for Birthday and Christmas as he likes it as well. I also like Yardleys Lavender for everyday. Years ago I tried several of the Avon perfumes and liked quite a few, soft musk was a particular favourite.

humptydumpty Tue 26-Nov-19 11:37:25

I was a great fan of Aqua Manda too - and the good mews is it is still available!

www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Manda-Spray-100-ml/dp/B00GP046N6?tag=gransnetforum-21

Personally I loved a Worth perfume called Fleurs Fraiches, which sadly is no longer abtainable as far as I can tell...

Annie26 Tue 26-Nov-19 11:34:25

In the early 70s I loved Kiku and Xanadu and I think there was an Avon cream perfume called Rapture or something similar.
These days definitely Opium

Marilla Tue 26-Nov-19 08:39:06

This is a nice thread. I had forgotten all about L’aimant, L’air du Temp and Avon Pretty Peach. This is bringing back lots of memories. My mum would buy Pretty Peach for me and I loved the bottle with the peach on top. Also Pretty Peach Soap on a Rope!
I use Chanel 5 dusting powder every day. Just love it.

lilypollen Mon 25-Nov-19 23:43:37

AM and PM, Mary Quant. Wow, memories of early 70s.

rubysong Mon 25-Nov-19 23:34:16

I love Fendi but don't often see it these days. I think it is available on line.

Eloethan Mon 25-Nov-19 22:48:39

I haven't found a modern perfume that I'm really keen on because, in my opinion, they usually have a very heavy, artificial smell. Like ayse, I quite like L'air du Temps.

My favourite used to be Apple Blossom - I think it was Helena Rubenstein.

I also like Youth Dew - on other people - it smells awful on me.

GagaJo Mon 25-Nov-19 21:38:12

I LOVED Tender Poison. It was a very green smelling perfume. Discontinued years ago and I've never found one since that I liked as much.

NotTooOld Mon 25-Nov-19 21:34:08

I used to love Tramp (weird name for a perfume) and Charlie. When I got married I wore Coty L'Aimant which I can't stand now and for years I wore Anais Anais which I also dislike now as it is too sweet.

agnurse Mon 25-Nov-19 20:47:02

My mother, when she wears perfume, wears L'Air du Temps. But the scent I associate with her the most is Oil of Olay, because that's the moisturizer she uses.

I don't wear perfume as we're not allowed at work. Having worked in health care for many years, we aren't allowed to wear it in the hospital either.

harrigran Mon 25-Nov-19 19:56:30

Pomegranate noir most of the time but like most of the Serge Luten perfumes too.
I wear lighter perfumes during the day and in the summer, one of favourite summer scent is Bronze Goddess.

Ngaio1 Mon 25-Nov-19 19:18:49

Chanel No. 5 , Cristalle, Miss Dior. One poster put that they always liked Tweed. My late Mother-in-Law always wore this and I thought it was the worst smell ever. Took me months to discover that the smell was from the Scotch she was addicted to!!

dragonfly46 Mon 25-Nov-19 18:44:32

I only wear Angel and I am frequently complimented on it. I guess it just suits me.

Urmstongran Mon 25-Nov-19 18:39:58

I wore ‘L’air du Temps’ at my wedding in 1974. I have a bottle of it out here in Spain with the iconic bird stopper.

A friends wears ‘Ysatis’ as her signature scent.

I like too many to stick to just one!

Witzend Mon 25-Nov-19 18:29:07

Je Reviens, still love it but haven't had any for ages.

Amarige is an old favourite which I still like.

Cabotine is lovely, light and fresh, but haven't seen any for ages.

I really dislike anything over sweet, heavy or musky.
Have been known to use dh's aftershaves! - presents which he only uses once in a blue moon. Nice and light and fresh.

If you're talking way back, when early/mid teens I loved Hartnell's In Love.

DanniRae Mon 25-Nov-19 07:59:29

For my 70th birthday a friend bought me a bottle of perfume called "Tank" - I don't know what that says about how she sees me?? confused

kittylester Mon 25-Nov-19 07:53:49

Just the same as joelsnan.

I had to stop wearing Youth Dew as DH said all hi patients were it and it reminded him of being at work.

BradfordLass72 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:40:44

For a long time, 25 years maybe, my sons bought me 'Charlie' (blue); it's still sold here so I have a bottle in a cool drawer as an everyday, light perfume.

Then, I asked a friend the name of the fragrance she was wearing and she said, 'Gucci "Rush"'. And generously bought me some for my birthday a month later.

From then on, my son or daughter in law has bought it for Christmas or birthday and I still love it.

I also like 'Anais Anais'.
And there's a new one out called 'O Linda' which is quite flowery. I don't like anything musky.

Mum used to wear 'Rive Gauche' and 'Emeraud'

Reading about Chanel No.5 - I bought myself a bottle of that en route from New Zealand to the UK. Lovely.

I was a teenaged Avon Lady (sounds like a confession! grin) and Topaz was my favourite then.

oldgimmer1 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:15:34

Started off with Ambergris, Patchouli and Musk.

Then graduated to Tramp, Aqua Manda and Babe. Then Rive Gauche.

Then onto Chanels 5 and Coco, Youth Dew, Eternity, Obsession.

Now? I can't find one strong enough. I've tried Boudoir, Tom Ford, Opium etc but they're not quite hitting the spot.

I'm using Goldigga at the moment. £5!.

Chanel 5 is still my favourite.

For my auntie, it was always Blue Grass and Tweed; for my mother Je Reviens and L'Aimant. I thought JR smelled of cats'pee.

Nortsat46 Mon 25-Nov-19 07:14:44

My partner bought me a bottle of Chanel no 19, when I was about 20. He was working hard and saving to buy a Les Paul guitar, so receiving Chanel perfume was a complete surprise.
It seemed impossibly glamorous.

I have worn it ever since, despite the fact that there have been occasions when buying it was a struggle and a bottle had to last a loooong time.

My mother also wore Tweed and my grandmother wore something by Elizabeth Arden (possibly Blue Grass).

MawB Sun 24-Nov-19 23:23:52

Mum always wore Tweed and my German granny (Oma) wore 4711. That being as daring as she was prepared to be!