Gransnet forums

Chat

Good news about Jenners (apologies - it's a bit local)

(9 Posts)
Jane10 Tue 26-Nov-19 10:09:14

News today that the iconic Jenners building in Edinburgh is to be fully restored to its former glory by owner Anders Pavlsen. 'Jenners' the business now owned by Sports Direct will move out. Phew!
The refurbished building will have high end cafes restaurants and bars as well as select retail spaces and some hotel accommodation. Back to where it had been as an expensive but destination venue. I just wish Mr Pavlsen could buy back the Jenners name.
I think Charles Jenner would be pleased.

aggie Tue 26-Nov-19 10:20:58

My memories of Jenners are of the real Christmas tree , and the dismay when an artificial one appeared! Mind you the prices meant it was always a visit to look , not buy ?

MawB Tue 26-Nov-19 10:23:38

I saw that Jane10 and was wondering how to forward the link to you!
Sad to lose the name from Princes Street, but I think the building will be in safer hands than Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct empire.

Jane10 Tue 26-Nov-19 10:26:04

Anders Pavlsen has a very good reputation up here.

MawB Tue 26-Nov-19 10:26:50

✔️

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 10:29:00

I've never been there, but I did enjoy the books which I assume were based on that department store.
smile

Surely Sports Direct have no need of the name and could graciously return the rights to it.

Fiachna50 Tue 26-Nov-19 10:29:50

Yes, but what is going to happen to the staff? I do hope they will be offered a job within the new venture. The death knell for Jenners was when HOF took over. It was never the same store after that. A very sad loss for Princes Street, sadly I am not surprised and thought it was coming for a long time.

Elegran Tue 26-Nov-19 10:32:25

I hope this will counteract the Poundland invasion of Princes Street, or at least counterbalance it.

Jane10 Tue 26-Nov-19 10:38:17

I agree Fiachna. It plummeted downmarket under Sports Direct.
I hear such lovely memories from former staff as I go around talking about the old stores to groups. Of course I have terrific memories of life in the China dept there myself. It certainly was the inspiration for the 'Murrays' store that I write about.